Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

BruceP just cancelled his membership

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 03:30 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Bruce... thanks for you contribution, fully understand... hope we'll cross paths again... its a small internet.
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:40 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow - there's more drama here than in OT!!!!
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:46 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

ArrOgant:
I see your point...kinda. I've seen people post DYI threads off of other forums on here to help out fellow Rennlisters. I think the goal of JohnD. and Loren are to offer sites that best serve the Porsche community. I think that even means pointing people to other threads. after all this isn't a competitive business here, is it?
I can see being called on for being OT, but I think pointing people to any and all Porsche information is in the spirit of this site, correct?
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:04 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by pat056
I can see being called on for being OT, but I think pointing people to any and all Porsche information is in the spirit of this site, correct?
Exactly - and I just saw Loren's post in this thread (Thanks Loren!) and echo his sentiments 100%. Renntech and Rennlist are absolutely "complimentary" sites - Renntech's roots being more technical and Rennlist more casual. I remember discussing with Loren his idea for Renntech before it was public - and - to Loren's credit and hard work - his site has flourished and is a credit to both his vision and his perseverance. It is - simply an amazing site - run by another Porsche Enthusiast.

As for mentioning "other sites" - of course you can!!! Heck - there are some good ones out there besides Renntech & Rennlist.! HOWEVER - with one caveat - no "bashing" other sites.. It's not right - and while Rennlist *is* bashed on some other sites (and *very* frequently on a few) - I have a different standard then most, I guess...

My other "hot button" is SPAMMING Rennlist with something like: "I just started a "new site" (Forum URL) - JOIN US THERE!!"..

Anyway.....

JD
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:13 PM
DanJK
Racer

I don't want to be seen as piling on, but I give credit to John for banning Ben. Ben had become increasingly acerbic and personal in his comments. While I appreciate his insight, and in fact enjoyed some of his opinions at times (most of which I didn't agree with), they always seemed to come at the cost of belittling another person. It was starting to get just stupid and inane. I know I personally have been spending a lot less time on this board because of it, in favor of others on this site and another site not mentioned above. As far as Bruce is concerned - leaving is HIS choice and I respect it. I would have been very close behind him had things kept down the path they were headed.
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:26 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

John D, thanks for your clarification. I appreciate your open-mindedness. And FYI, Renn is my 1st and favorite Porsche Board. For 996 911's, there is NO substitute!!!
Old 05-07-2008 | 05:28 PM
dnitake
Racer

Whew, maybe I can start posting again. It was getting a bit too cosmetic. He kinda reminded me of the guy awhile ago who coined the phrase "drover". Could it be the same guy? No issues w/ heated debate or funky opinions (I have plenty), but character bashing gets the Eject button.
Sure hope my engine hangs in there just so I don't have to post here :-)
Old 05-07-2008 | 05:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Nice to see some of the regulars say that they'll be back posting again. Now if only we could convince Dell to come back.
Old 05-07-2008 | 07:44 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Nice to see some of the regulars say that they'll be back posting again. Now if only we could convince Dell to come back.
I hate to say it, but I think Ben was the sole reason Dell stopped posting here.

Dell was always the "Rennlist police" and his frustration grew rapidly to Ben's remarks.

He was the first to ponce on a new member for acting out of the "Rennlist culture" and Ben wasn't having it.

My theory was since Dell just had the newborn, his energies were too drained to fight anymore.......but I am just speculating, don't know Dell personally.

I hate to say it but I was actually a little in awe on how Ben could make Dell give up the fight first, never before did a newcomer achieve that "feat" if you will.
Old 05-07-2008 | 07:56 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tippy
I hate to say it, but I think Ben was the sole reason Dell stopped posting here.

Dell was always the "Rennlist police" and his frustration grew rapidly to Ben's remarks.

He was the first to ponce on a new member for acting out of the "Rennlist culture" and Ben wasn't having it.

My theory was since Dell just had the newborn, his energies were too drained to fight anymore.......but I am just speculating, don't know Dell personally.

I hate to say it but I was actually a little in awe on how Ben could make Dell give up the fight first, never before did a newcomer achieve that "feat" if you will.
who gives anyone the right to "police" rennlist if you are not a moderator?
Old 05-07-2008 | 07:59 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John D.
Exactly - and I just saw Loren's post in this thread (Thanks Loren!) and echo his sentiments 100%. Renntech and Rennlist are absolutely "complimentary" sites - Renntech's roots being more technical and Rennlist more casual. I remember discussing with Loren his idea for Renntech before it was public - and - to Loren's credit and hard work - his site has flourished and is a credit to both his vision and his perseverance. It is - simply an amazing site - run by another Porsche Enthusiast.

As for mentioning "other sites" - of course you can!!! Heck - there are some good ones out there besides Renntech & Rennlist.! HOWEVER - with one caveat - no "bashing" other sites.. It's not right - and while Rennlist *is* bashed on some other sites (and *very* frequently on a few) - I have a different standard then most, I guess...

My other "hot button" is SPAMMING Rennlist with something like: "I just started a "new site" (Forum URL) - JOIN US THERE!!"..

Anyway.....

JD
I wholeheartedly agree with John D, Renntech is more technical; and the response, primarily because of awesome work/contribution from Loren is lightning fast; while a technical question on Rennlist (unless Pss9's, rim offsets, oil, body kits, etc) can "sometimes" not get practical response. Although my membership lagged here I did become a contributing member to renntech. I saved 2.5 Porsche service hours on a job because of Loren's/Renntech's help.

Anyway sorry to see a member leave under such circumstances...

edit: John are you saying that renntech is not owned by you? I always thought they were companion sites technical/general of same "Renn" family. If not then I guess thats why there are 2 different memberships, I always wondered why that was.
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tippy

I can understand that. As my time has been increasingly sapped away by other time sinks I find myself walking away from fights rather than taking them up to slap down bad behavior. Life is too short to short and there are too many idiots out there to slap down every one of them... much as I'd like to.
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:14 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TD in DC
We mostly self-police and it's rare that John has to step in to smack down bad behavior. It's actually a compliment that we don't need moderators.
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:15 PM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by TD in DC
LVDell granted himself that permission.

He is one of the most knowledgeable folks around on 996 Porsches. He may also be expert on other generations, but I've never seen anyone with a more comprehensive set of detailed and accurate info on our cars at the tip of their fingers than LVDell.

He also has been, at times, more abusive to fellow rennlisters than Benjamin Choi could ever hope to be. In large part this is due to his incredible contributions, which cause many people to cut him more slack, but there are some very notable flame-fests buried in the posts of last year with LVDell publicly flogging the poor fool who disagreed with him.

After the last round he really backed off on participation here, which has been a huge loss from a knowledge perspective. But I don't miss the floggings.
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:30 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
I.....edit: John are you saying that renntech is not owned by you? I always thought they were companion sites technical/general of same "Renn" family. If not then I guess thats why there are 2 different memberships, I always wondered why that was.
And to be honest - given that confusion - that is a credit to what Loren has done with RennTech. Renntech is his site - and I value his support, friendship and fellow enthusiasm. I think you will find - Loren/Renntech is just like me - just a fellow enthusiast. And he does his site "just because he can - and he does"..

As I posted earlier - Loren asked me about his forum name before he launched his site, as his concern was he was playing off of "Renn" whatever..

To be honest - when I renamed this site "Rennlist" from "Porschelist" in 1999 - there were exactly TWO "Renn" whatevers on the Internet. Now - do a Google search with this:

renn* porsche

Yea - Loren's site is terrific - and yep - I am privileged to call him a friend. I've never met him - but I hope someday, I will. He has "integrity" - an uncommon trait on this thing we call the "internet"..

JD

Quick Reply: BruceP just cancelled his membership