M96 Cylinder re-sleeving - The hunt begins

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Nice link, thanks.

edit: BMW used Nikasil in the cylinders in the older engines and caused some engine problems/loss of compression, etc. http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/engines/nikasil.htm
audi bmw porsche jag ferrari etc. Porsche now uses Lokasil (to my knowledge) and I believe the big F still runs nikasil.

it's not the nikasil that's a problem (it's just a low friction coating) it's the sulfur content in certain areas of America's fuel which erodes the coating over time. Common wisdom on this was that fuel derived from light sweet crude will be OK, bitter West Texas fractions will not treat you as well over time. a ton of euro 930 motors with Mahle pistons were nikasil, but from what I remember a lot of US cars were alusil (which can handle the sulfur). This was 20 years ago, and materials science may have come a long way.

Someone who needs a re-sleeve should talk to both autofarm and LN Engineering about how american sulfur content will impact he longevity of the nikasil lining. I believe that for LN Enineering to offe a lifetime guarantee they've likely figured something out.

For more information on bores and liners see wards:

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_bo...rybodys_ideas/
Old 04-30-2008, 11:07 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Nice link, thanks.

edit: BMW used Nikasil in the cylinders in the older engines and caused some engine problems/loss of compression, etc. http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/engines/nikasil.htm
that's good info in that link as well (and I'm happy that I'm remember things accurately!)
Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
well it's probably all under one RUF in dallas with enough $$$
I agree. I am a big fan of RUF STRUFF... except the $$$.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:15 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reman engine from Porsche is now more like $12-14k - prices went up!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For just resleeving, try Golden Eagle which specializes in the import market.

http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/sleeving.html
Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a great topic!

I have a question someone here might know:
What if I love the extra power and 8000 RPM, and want the mod done
on a perfectly working condition 2002 996 3.6l engine- would it be cheaper?

1. it would be much more fun, and 2. it would prevent the ims, rms and cracked cylinder problems.

John
Old 05-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Only with luck. Crack can leak coolant into cylinder or possibly some oil/blowby....

Originally Posted by redridge
Can someone diagnose a cylinder crack without teardown?
into cooling system, but word is the crack progresses quick fast and the window of opportunity to diagnose it is small.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Did you contact Autofarm to see what it would take to crate/ship ...

Originally Posted by Chads996
Gents,

Upon reading the very interesting articles about upgrades to the M96 motor, I have begun a search in the US for an engine builder or tune shop that could possible offer this alternative to simply buying a new motor upon failure.

I have contacted the following shops and I am hoping for a reply:

Kinetic Speed Shop / Sunbelt engines
Farnbacher Loles
J3 Motorsport

If any other shops would be interested in discussing this, please contact me. I would like to discuss the endeavor at length to find a cost effective (vs R&R new motor) for us M96 owners.

C.

engine to them for the work?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default 3.6l engines do not appear to suffer from the cracked sleeve ....

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
This is a great topic!

1. it would be much more fun, and 2. it would prevent the ims, rms and cracked cylinder problems.

John

problems the 3.4l engines do.

8000 RPMs is going to be expensive to obtain.

If you have a 3.6l engine in good shape, a sleeving process with possibly an aftermarket stroker crankshaft (read $$$) could possibly bump displacement up to 4.0l with an increase in HP, say maybe a 10% increase with no other changes to the engine required.

And engine would be relatively low-stressed... 8000 RPMs could see the engine requiring rebuilds at end of every summer driving season...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we went from trying to figure out how to address the reliability issue to discussing a 4.0 liter, 400hp monster engine.

guys, talk about grandiose next steps, scope creep

porsche recently announced their 3.8 with DFI and all the other fancy updates thru major R&D, mad master mind derived applications and they're still short of 400hp. what makes you guys think some podunk USA shop can top what porsche did by improving on a platform that's designed to put out 320hp, that's like 8+ yrs old? while i appreciate the christopher columbus spirit, the M96 is no mayflower of its day.

i say we focus on figuring out who in the USA can address 1) an outright failure via rebuild; 2) preventative action by replacing some parts.

but even then for the sake of full disclosure... if my reman engine fails me, i'd likely just cough up the dough to get another reman...why? warranty. you know it's put together by porsche. if i want more hp, i'll save up my dough and just get a newer porsche because it's not just about hp right? we always say this to each other.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i say we focus on figuring out who in the USA can address 1) an outright failure via rebuild; 2) preventative action by replacing some parts.
#1 is possible.

#2 is highly unlikely... aside from what Porsche has already done and normal maintenance stuff.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by springgeyser
For just resleeving, try Golden Eagle which specializes in the import market.

http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/sleeving.html
I would definitely talk to companies who have M96 experience first, because of the water jacket and the resurfacing of the deck for new head gasket. Also the golden eagle outfit only sees to do straight 4s
Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
This is a great topic!

John
the issue is it's a series of modifications and updates and that's not something available under one roof. you can't guarantee prevention of any of the things you mentioned just by replacing with revised parts, but if you're in there anyway (say for performance enhancement) you will want to update what you can while you've got it open, but this is not trivial stuff. The IMS stuff is more complicated, especially for people with the double-chain drive since as I have seen it the later 996 and current 997 IMS drives only one main chain.

RE: performance goals, who knows what sort of horsepower you'll hit bored over to 4.0, but you'll need to WORK for a motor that will safely run to 8K and not ned regular rebuilds. Assuming you increased bore only you could conceivably achieve this by decreasing the reciprocating mass as much as possible: pistons, pins, conrods, and taking measures to reduce friction (polishing is it really, I don't think you want to go to silicon on pistons as well).

it's all separate:
- new sleeves
- if overbore, then overbore
- new pistons
- new pins
- new rings, seals & gaskets
- revised RMS if necessary
- revised IMS if necessary

Of course before doing all of this I'd pobably want to know whether my block was worth throwing all this work into, so x-ray or however they measure for porosity would be a step I at least would want if I was doing something like this.

Finally i you really wanted to open up the motor to bore over, I think you could do it with the existing lokasil liners as well (I have no idea how thick the liners are on a 3.6, so you may well need new sleeves but do the research!)
Old 05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
we went from trying to figure out how to address the reliability issue to discussing a 4.0 liter, 400hp monster engine.

guys, talk about grandiose next steps, scope creep

porsche recently announced their 3.8 with DFI and all the other fancy updates thru major R&D, mad master mind derived applications and they're still short of 400hp. what makes you guys think some podunk USA shop can top what porsche did by improving on a platform that's designed to put out 320hp, that's like 8+ yrs old? while i appreciate the christopher columbus spirit, the M96 is no mayflower of its day.

but even then for the sake of full disclosure... if my reman engine fails me, i'd likely just cough up the dough to get another reman...why? warranty. you know it's put together by porsche. if i want more hp, i'll save up my dough and just get a newer porsche because it's not just about hp right? we always say this to each other.
re-sleeving is an EXTREME measure if you're trying to address reliability prior to a failure. Remember that even new parts fail, and motors die with similar shocking regularity on the 997s. You're talking about open heart surgery to prevent a heart attack, it isn't done, the risk to the patient is too great to justify.

But if you crack a cylinder wall, and the alternative is paying Porsche's new high prices, sure a re-sleeve's an economical way to get back on the road. While in there update to the latest RMS design and do your IMS work.

While you're in there, there's probably not a man on this board who could resist boring over since there's really no extra cost (you're doing new pistons an rings anyway) and you're not getting a warranty on the whole motor anyway (just the components you're dropping in). who knows how much power you can make, but with a nice set of forged pistons and an extra 400cc I bet you get more than 320, who cares, you're in there anyway. And the podunk usa shop isn't doing major engineering, just helping you with the time honored american traditition of "there's no replacement for displacement" and probably a little extra quench.

But if someone needs a re-sleeve, contact the LN Engineering people either here on rennlist or at the link i posted on page 2, see who they work with. The price they have posted is like $3800 installed with new pistons, same price for standard bore or overbore application (I'm assuming your builder will nee to actually cut your new bores, but it's worth calling to find out). The answer is right there.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just wondering if it would be cheaper on a healthy engine.

Quick Reply: M96 Cylinder re-sleeving - The hunt begins