996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Colonoscopy after IMS failure...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send PCNA this picture, and you will get a replacement engine....
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Send PCNA this picture, and you will get a replacement engine....
lol
Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by roberga
Nothing to you but time. I would rather have a reman that was put together by a guy in Germany that does it every day. Ask your local dealer who many 996 motors they have rebuilt in the last 12 months.
peace of mind wise, most def i'd want a reman engine fresh outta porsche stuttgart than some service tech at a local dealer no matter how competent he/she may be. you cannot replicate the effort from factory in the service bay in podunk, usa.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also what about warranty issues...will the dealer warrant the engine the same way??
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Scoping sounds unlikely... In Porsche dealership service about a year...

Originally Posted by jsmirand
Tucson Porsche has had my 2003 C4 for a week now following IMS failure with 11,400 miles on the clock.

Last week the service advisor indicated they were starting the process to replace the engine on my CPO warrantied car.

Yesterday, the service advisor called and said Porshe wanted them to use a camera scope to examine the inside of the engine - cylinders - to see if Porsche direction would be to repair or replace engine.

I'm unsure why, this makes me uncomfortable and feels like a high school lab experiment. And I am getting irritated that after 1 week, this is as far as we've gotten. I was settled on having my car back in another week with a reman engine, but seems like its not that simple.

Have any of you heard of this diagnostic before regarding IMS failure? Any recommendations on next steps I should take wrt to Porche / service advisor in terms of direction?
ago and spotted Carrera on lift with engine removed.

Spotted various engine casting hanging around and then carts with Carrera engine internals laid out.

Short version is engine suffered IMS bearing failure.

New info -- at that time -- is new engine was not slam dunk. Porsche changed its practice.

Dealer tore down engine and disassembled engine -- not completely -- to determine if engine likely rebuild candidate.

If engine metal bits in high pressure pump, on bearing side of filter, if in scavenge pumps then no.

Also, an obviously broken engine casting might also be grounds for scraping engine.

If engine passed these checks then engine completely disassembled, cleaned, and all necessary parts replaced.

In this engine's case, new intermediate shaft and one maybe two chain guides (which were broken) were all that were required.

(I have picture and can possibly supply links. Haven't tried this but you can: Visit www.tinypics.com and search for M96 or M96 engine tags. Can't remember if I stored pics there with those tags or not.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
"you cannot replicate the effort from factory in the service bay in podunk, usa."

Any idea of the capital investment and ongoing overheads for a Porsche (or any) dealership?

Porsche AG. controls what happens to the repair of the engine. Under warranty, they make the decision. Bearing in mind the resposibility that the dealer accepts when rebuilding the engine, under factory or extended warranty, the statement about service bays in podunk, USA isn't very relevant.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

GMS, that's all great for you... but if this was your car... youre telling me you wouldn't pull for a reman engine from porsche? you'd rather have the work of local service guys led by PCNA doing the rebuild of your nice sports car? it's completely relevant.

if u ever decided to sell your M96, you would be more comfortable telling the potential buyer this was rebuilt at the local porsche dealership or would you be more comfy telling them it got a fully updated engine from porsche factory w/ 0 miles?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

gary?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

pls don't tell me gary is a porsche dealer employee
Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM
GMS
Pro

I would buy a replacement Porsche engine.

However, with car under warranty, Porsche AG makes the choice whether to repair or replace.

Same with all manufacturers.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
jsmirand
Racer

I'm trying to take this in stride wrt to where Porsche AG takes this, and have been told that if its a rebuild, the master mechanic at my dealer has 30 years of Porsche experience and is very good with these cars. I don't suspect I have a high influence level with Porsche AG, although I indicated to the dealer that at this point, I would prefer a reman.

However it gets sorted out, I'll still have 18 mos of warranty remaining, so I suspect if there are any weaknesses associated with a local motor rebuild (or a reman, for that matter), they will get exposed sooner rather then later.

Ultimately though, I just want to enjoy cruising in my car again, top down, with the engine smoothly running and not get overly consumed on if a rebuild is slightly worse then a reman or vice versa.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the "camera scope" internal inspection of the engine. I've been in aviation maintenance for 23 years and we do borescope engines all the time for 1200 hour inspection or for finding causes of low torque outputs on engines combustion section walls and stator vanes, sompressor blades, etc.. to find cracks, chips and bend parts. Damage limits are very small. If its marginal, we change either the module or the whole engine. Of course I'm talking about aircraft engines.

Anyway, all I'm saying is the borsecope procedure is pretty simple. I wouldnt worry about it specially in a boxer(horizontally opposed) engine.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by GMS
I would buy a replacement Porsche engine.

However, with car under warranty, Porsche AG makes the choice whether to repair or replace.

Same with all manufacturers.

i would ask porsche to get me a reman engine, i don't want a rebuild effort at the dealership.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by jsmirand
Ultimately though, I just want to enjoy cruising in my car again, top down, with the engine smoothly running and not get overly consumed on if a rebuild is slightly worse then a reman or vice versa.
that's a healthy way of looking at it - at the end of the day, rebuild or reman, if the car drives and works and does all the right things it's supposed to do - you're fine.

but we're on rennlist cuz we are passionate about our 911s.... to this end, reman is the way to go.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am glad i dont have a 996...my boxsters had problems(rms--reman engine)...

Quick Reply: 996 Colonoscopy after IMS failure...