Sponsored by:

Rev limit in Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev limit in Tiptronic?

OK, I noticed this last weekend whilst giving my 996 a major service, that the throttle body could do with a little cleaning. So after reading a couple of threads today I bought some carb cleaner on the way home and cleaned the carb. No worries so far... I started the car after reassembly and after a small delay it fired up fine. Sat on the drive for a little bit and then blipped the throttle... everything fine so far... but then I decided to rev it up a little further and was abruptly stopped by what seemed to be a rev limiter at around 4k rpm? Is this normal. It is only when in Park or Neutral. When I drive the car normally it revs up to 5,6k and more, and is normal.

Is this a tip thing? And is just that I have never noticed it before?

GETTING MORE PARANOID THE MORE AN MORE I THINK ABOUT THIS...
Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, that is normal.
The 4000 RPM limit is to protect the torque converter from damage when there is no drive speed present.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:33 AM
mrgroove
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet - thank the maker!!!!

Hey Loren, while you're on - I just got back from a quick drive and now the cat is rattling. I had a P0420 which from memory is the left bank emissions something or other... when the CEl came on I banged both cats and one was noticeably more rattly than the other... now it's rattling at idle!!!

Busted?

Time for Porsche to pony up for a new one under the emissions law?

Will it still be ok to drive until I can get it in?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Judder
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
Sorry, that is normal.
The 4000 RPM limit is to protect the torque converter from damage when there is no drive speed present.
Hi Loren

Sorry to dig up an old thread but noticed this yesterday on my Tiptronic 996 Mk#2 C4S while doing a static noise test at a track day

However, when I did the same in my Tiptronic 996 Mk#1 C2S it would quite happily rev over 4000 RPM and almost got me busted at the static noise test

Is the behaviour different between the models or is it because I did the first test with the car in D and the second (I guess but can't be sure) with the car in Park?

Many thanks

Quick Reply: Rev limit in Tiptronic?