996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replace stock head unit only? possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
speedyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace stock head unit only? possible?

My CDR220 is malfunctioning. Powers up, intermittent ERRORs where I can't select stations nor play a CD. ERROR appears intermittently on the display. Attempted to search and read all the posts about head unit replacements. But couldn't decipher if anyone was successful replacing 'only' the head unit with an aftermarket unit. Seems like speakers and amp also had to be replaced.

I want to replace only the head unit if possible with something with a tuner and iPod/iPhone capability (charges & plays the music). Don't need the CD player.

Any recommendations and/or experiences meeting my simple requirements? Thx in advance!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can replace the head unit alone with anything you want. There is nothing special about the cr/cdr-220..it is a regular head unit. The existing amp will work fine..the only thing you lose is speed dependent volume. It has the crossovers built in for the subs in the door and the other speakers. You just need to wir eit up correctly. My CDR (& CR) 220, still fine, so I can't recommend anything in particular.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my time upgrading my sound system over several weekends. I bought the speakers (Focals) and amp (Audison) from CarAudioInnovations.com and the head unit (Alpine) from Crutchfield.

The first thing I installed were the dash speakers. Wow! The Focal 2-ways sounded were a big improvement over the stock speakers. It was like night and day. The sound was a lot richer -- even with the factory head unit and amp.

The following weekend, I replaced the door speakers. The sound improved some more, with deeper bass and mid-range with the Focal 5WS subs. I noticed that the factory amp and head unit were struggling to power the Focal speakers at that point but I had to wait for the Alpine head unit to arrive (backordered at the time) so I just kept the volume down for a few weeks.

When the head unit finally arrived, I installed it along with the Audison 5-channel amp. It was amazing! I couldn't believe the difference from just a month ago! I wanted to kick myself for not upgrading the sound system sooner -- I couldn't believe I drove the car for 5 years with the crappy stock system (of course, ignorance was bliss.)

I have since added CarAudioInnovations' subwoofers for cabriolets -- two 8" subs in custom fiberglass enclosures that sit on the rear passenger footwell. The Focal 5WS provided adequate bass for most of the music I listen to but not enough for R&B, rap and Techno and the subwoofers did the trick. I setup the door speakers as mid-bass and I now have the full range. I keep thinking I should replace the rear speakers too but since those are only for fill and I have a cab that I usually drive with the top down I think I may just leave them stock. If anything I will just replace them with cheap Focal Access speakers.

My recommendation is replace the entire system. You will be so glad you did. At the very least you should replace the dash speakers along with the head unit. Don't worry about getting a new amp -- a decent head unit should be able to power all speakers (I would use the head unit and not the factory amp.)

Finally, contact Rod @ CarAudioInnovations. He can give you some advice over the phone or email. That reminds me, I need to call him and order the Kenwood DNX8200 navigation head unit.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:32 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyjp
My CDR220 is malfunctioning. Powers up, intermittent ERRORs where I can't select stations nor play a CD. ERROR appears intermittently on the display. Attempted to search and read all the posts about head unit replacements. But couldn't decipher if anyone was successful replacing 'only' the head unit with an aftermarket unit. Seems like speakers and amp also had to be replaced.

I want to replace only the head unit if possible with something with a tuner and iPod/iPhone capability (charges & plays the music). Don't need the CD player.

Any recommendations and/or experiences meeting my simple requirements? Thx in advance!
I posted a pic of what I did on another, related thread this morning. The only thing I'd add for you is this: Do your homework here or on Renntech regarding how to deal with the alarm sensor in there. It's easy, easy to do it right, but if you skip the step like a lot of installers do, you could - not will, but could - end up with an alarm system can of worms. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Switching just the head unit is no problem. Just pick a head unit with a pre-amp output and connect it to the stock wiring. There are wiring harness adapters available.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:39 PM
MikeZ
Instructor

Is it a difficult job to replace the dash speakers? How does one get access to them?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:42 PM
speedyjp
Instructor

perry, Thx for the reassurance re: being able to just replace the head unit. I never cared much for the speed-sensitive volume since I have a coupe.

programmatore, I'd love to replace the whole system but don't think my nerve damaged hearing would appreciate it. Haha. I'm leaning more towards doing the X51(?) exhaust mod instead. Would love to see pics of your set up though! Thx.

Bruce, Wow, thanks for the alarm heads up! Knew nothing of it and didn't see it in any of the searches. What model Alpine? USB integration for the ipod? Where do you mount your ipod/iphone? Used the existing amp right?

Uber, Also thx for the reassurance. I have some homework to do.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
951sickness
Instructor

You could get a Porsche specific TrafficPro. It would look the same and add Navigation. You would only have to add the GPS antenna, everything else plugs right in.

Quick Reply: Replace stock head unit only? possible?