Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just got her back. MK1 Aero kit installed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
Taco wing is growing on me but I am not quite there yet. The turbo wing is too small for the TT wide body in my opinion but I think it works perfect on a NB. I can always change it later if I change my mind but I really like it now.
I like you so I'm going to tell you as I see it.

I have a frankenstein C4S. Evidence:

Kind of. My wing is aftermarket and I like it knowing that a 911 lover like Misha created it bespoke for 996 widebody and 997 application. But, yes, it is based off of the GT2 wing. In fact, it's a mish-mash between the GT3 lower part and GT2 upper, but then the upper part is drastically different than the original OEM GT2 wing. I'm content with the results.

What you got is putting a 996TT wing (which isn't good looking anyways as I agree it looks too small on the 996TT) on a narrowbody that has all the other factory MK1 aero parts. To me, it looks awkward. I would never pick out the 996TT wing and say damn that's such a classically beautiful piece I wish I could put it on my car.

I would seriously push you to consider the taco wing at some point. Don't do the Misha wing with the MK1 aero bits you've got. It just doesn't work. Stick with the taco as it's meant to be for the MK1 aero.

Sure, you see a bunch of them in my dedication thread, but in reality, it's ultra rare to see.

P.S. Please get rid of those 17s ASAP!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The rear fins/strakes look awesome. Mine are on order and I can't wait for them to be installed. Ben was indeed instrumental in the decision with that thread of his showing the full MK1 Aerokit. Now when I see my car, it looks a little naked from behind...which is fine for vixen but not for my car.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

looks great - well done. as for the taco wing - no offense to anyone, but there's only 2 tacos that I like, one is mexican food, the other isn't a tail on my Pcar
Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
The rear spats were an additional piece. ...that are designed to work together.

I love the taco wing. Very unique and only works on the MK1 and nothing else (i.e. bespoke).
I'm with Ben that the MK1 aero looks great but I disagree that the rear spats were designed to work together; neither design-wise nor functional. IMO it's overkill and Porsche didn't intend them on their original MK1 GT3; it's just an addition for those who always want more - even with the risk to overload the car.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I got my rear spats with it and think it adds cosmetic value.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by hwk72
I'm with Ben that the MK1 aero looks great but I disagree that the rear spats were designed to work together; neither design-wise nor functional. IMO it's overkill and Porsche didn't intend them on their original MK1 GT3; it's just an addition for those who always want more - even with the risk to overload the car.
Disagree here, too.

The rear end, as you can clearly see, is lacking in that pic as you have everything from the front to the side balanced out, but then in the rear you get absolutely zero support.

Ultimately, Porsche designed it for the MK1 aerokit. I couldn't care less whether they had it on as an option or not for the MK1 GT3. The part is all Porsche.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hwk72
I agree!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul,
The car looks great. Are you bringing it up to Brainerd this weekend? You should at least drive up for the day if you can. I'll give you a ride in my brand new 1988 944 turbo.
Jim
Old 04-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Ben, you have been great, no worries and I value your taste and opinion along with all the others who give great advice in this forum.

I have my 18" wheels all ready to be installed but I have to find the time to do it. I promise to get to it soon.

Paul
Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimB
Paul,
The car looks great. Are you bringing it up to Brainerd this weekend? You should at least drive up for the day if you can. I'll give you a ride in my brand new 1988 944 turbo.
Jim
Probably not this weekend since I have to road trip to Alexandria MN to see my mom. But, lets get together some night for the beers we talked about and you can find me a beautiful successful stable girlfriend like yours.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

I like you so I'm going to tell you as I see it.

I have a frankenstein C4S. Evidence:

Kind of. My wing is aftermarket and I like it knowing that a 911 lover like Misha created it bespoke for 996 widebody and 997 application. But, yes, it is based off of the GT2 wing. In fact, it's a mish-mash between the GT3 lower part and GT2 upper, but then the upper part is drastically different than the original OEM GT2 wing. I'm content with the results.

What you got is putting a 996TT wing (which isn't good looking anyways as I agree it looks too small on the 996TT) on a narrowbody that has all the other factory MK1 aero parts. To me, it looks awkward. I would never pick out the 996TT wing and say damn that's such a classically beautiful piece I wish I could put it on my car.

I would seriously push you to consider the taco wing at some point. Don't do the Misha wing with the MK1 aero bits you've got. It just doesn't work. Stick with the taco as it's meant to be for the MK1 aero.

Sure, you see a bunch of them in my dedication thread, but in reality, it's ultra rare to see.

Ben, I love your car. How great would a C4S be here in Minnesota where I do drive in the winter? It would be perfect. But alas, I still love mine.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
Probably not this weekend since I have to road trip to Alexandria MN to see my mom. But, lets get together some night for the beers we talked about and you can find me a beautiful successful stable girlfriend like yours.
Beer, cars and picking up girls? I suppose I could put up with a night of that.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Looks great my friend. Take your time and get that Mustang finished too

Quick Reply: Just got her back. MK1 Aero kit installed.