hkmacca
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell him to poke it!!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Cesko
Instructor

It worked for 2 weeks. I wouldn't even reply. Sounds fishy to me. Plus, I don't like his insulting accusations.

It's a used unit, and sold as is. Would you return an item to the flea market or garage sale? That's what ebay is...virtual flea market.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Don't offer him anything. It worked for 2 weeks then it died,meaning it worked when you sent it. How do you know the installer didn't knock something loose or he mistreated it? It's eBay,not a local store where you bought it brand w/ a warranty.

You held up your end of the bargain.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're willing to trade negatives then don't do anything, I would say that it is smart to force buyers to pay for shipping insurance for such occurences as these. UPS/FEDEX are rough on packages. It's highly likely that unit sustained some trauma while in transit, especially without oem box/packaging. Worst case scenario, have him send unit back (with insurance) give the gay back his few bucks. Perhaps you're package is .... No I didn't say it, it would be wrong....
Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Send him an email that says, you are sorry for the unfortunate situation, however, the unit functioned perfectly for you and you never had any problems, and there is nothing you are willing to do.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 AM
gillie
Instructor

Having run a successful high-end mail order camera business for a number of years I've had the experience of dealing with some low-end consumers on occasion. Since I regarded my reputation on every transaction I would bite the bullet and eat the bad trade almost always. Once in a while I would step back and say I'm not going to allow myself to be screwed on a particular deal.

On one occasion, on eBay, I slammed a would-be wiseguy who turned around and gave me a negative.
I was so pissed I had a running dialog with eBay who refused to know about it. If you value your eBay
reputation you might want to avoid that potential problem.

Clearly, as everyone had pointed out, your transaction was above board. The unit worked when he got it and he should have no recourse to you. You don't want the damn thing back and I don't think a partial refund will satisfy this guy.

Draw a line in the sand and know I'm on your side.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

There's only one thing that matters, and that is "how'd he pay for it?" If he used PayPal, they'll probably give him his money back and make him return the unit to you.

If he didn't use PayPal, tell him to take a hike; you have no idea what happened to the unit between the time it left your hands and the time he claimed it was broken.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I disagree, he emailed you and said it worked for weeks. He also already left positive feedback. transaction is over. Ebay will not intervene.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
I disagree, he emailed you and said it worked for weeks. He also already left positive feedback. transaction is over. Ebay will not intervene.
+1
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Originally Posted by Wellardmac
+1
You guys are right...eBay will not do anything. However, if the buyer used PayPal, they very well might do something about it if the buyer has half a clue what he's doing. All he has to do is initiate a "significantly not as described" claim within 45 days of receipt of the item, tell PayPal that it arrived in non-working order, and PayPal will start the resolution process, which usually results in the item being sent back at the buyer's expense and the original sell price being drained from the seller's account.

PP won't care about any e-mails whose origin can't be verified, and depending on their mood, there's a 50/50 shot that they'll care about the positive feedback left via the eBay system. Unfortunately, this information has been gleamed from the dozens of times this has happened to me over thousands of eBay transactions.

It really IS a buyer's paradise when PayPal is involved.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tooloud10
You guys are right...eBay will not do anything. However, if the buyer used PayPal, they very well might do something about it if the buyer has half a clue what he's doing. All he has to do is initiate a "significantly not as described" claim within 45 days of receipt of the item, tell PayPal that it arrived in non-working order, and PayPal will start the resolution process, which usually results in the item being sent back at the buyer's expense and the original sell price being drained from the seller's account.

PP won't care about any e-mails whose origin can't be verified, and depending on their mood, there's a 50/50 shot that they'll care about the positive feedback left via the eBay system. Unfortunately, this information has been gleamed from the dozens of times this has happened to me over thousands of eBay transactions.

It really IS a buyer's paradise when PayPal is involved.

I had a buyer complain about an electronic item I sold on ebay 100+ days after the deal. Statute of limitations for paypal is 90 days. After 90 days, the buyer is done.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the email that was sent was actually sent through ebay...so i have it in my ebay inbox.

I sent him a message that said that he should try a store bought CD and see what happens...that CD's that are burned often have this type of problem. No response.

I don't think I will do anything else at this point...I'll wait and see what happens.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by M Fig
I don't know if it makes a difference, but the email that was sent was actually sent through ebay...so i have it in my ebay inbox.

I sent him a message that said that he should try a store bought CD and see what happens...that CD's that are burned often have this type of problem. No response.

I don't think I will do anything else at this point...I'll wait and see what happens.
I think that you've done everything that you need to. Honestly, even if he complains to paypal you have his emails stating that all was well when the unit was first installed - that should be the end of the story.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

The guy said it was working for 2 weeks. Then it stops. His problem.
If he'd asked nicely maybe I'd feel sorry. He didn't. So don't.

Phil
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've come across plenty of eBay sellers that have greater than 90% approval ratings. I get a kick out of the negative posts which cite the seller as a "cheat and liar", to which the seller replies "no, you are the liar, and are stupid and psycotic and your mom dresses you funny!" It is truly an art form...

Not once have I chosen not to buy from a seller with a few of those exchanges on their website. And to date, I have yet to be screwed by a seller.

Move on, and use this experience to guide your future eBay dealings...

My $0.02,
-Blake

Quick Reply: OT...Sold my Alpine on ebay and now buyer has problem