Sponsored by:

Uh-oh...I think my variocam may be acting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Uh-oh...I think my variocam may be acting up

Over the past few days I've noticed that what appears to be the variocam engagement has become increasingly abrupt. I've read lots of posts regarding abrupt variocam engagement, and I know some abpruptness is normal.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the increase in abruptness? I already checked vacuum lines, reset the computer, and added techron and a full tank of new gas. I'm hoping this is not the "engine out to fix" problem, but merely some kind of sensor that can be easily replaced. Any advice would be great.

Last edited by ScottArizona; 05-31-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:27 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you have the problem I had... The seals to the variocam plus solenoids (at the end of the camshaft covers) start to leak. The solenoid fills with oil and it starts to malfunction. The fix is 2 new solenoids, 2 new gaskets and the labor. Can be done with the motor in, ran about $800 for me. Look for oil seepage from the covers (they have variocam plus written on them, easy to spot). It might not be that hard a DIY, I have warranty so the dealer did it.

I just realized you have a '99, you don't have the "plus" so your situation may be different.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. Is this how your car acted before it was fixed? I checked, and there is a slight amount of weeping (barely moist) around the varicom switch thingy. I can handle 800 bucks...what I don't want is to have to drop the engine!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change overs were a little more abrupt before the fix, but honestly I took the car in for something else (check engine light) and they told me about the problem. It's smoother now but not always. When did you last have your oil and filter changed? What oil/viscosity are you using? The valve lifters are oil pressure driven and that can make a difference if the oil is not right. They can also check the vario-cam with their diagnostic computer to make sure the solenoids are working. While the engine is running, they can trip the solenoids to switch at any time. So at idle they trip them to go to the high RPM profile and the car starts running poorly letting you know they are working.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Any thoughts as to what might be causing the increase in abruptness?
How is your oil level? What grade/brand engine oil are you using?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys! I'm using mobile 0-40, always have (yes, I've followed the debates here, and know that some believe using a heavier weight can "smooth" out some of the abpruptness of the variocam engagement). Last change was about 3 months ago (diy), and the level is exactly halfway between min and max (both on the stick and the digital indicator). I also have the plenum, and I think this makes things a little more abprut too, but it could just be my imagination (I know that I detected a noticeable "kick" at rpms above 5500 right after I installed the plenum). I guess I'll just take it to my tech...its not bad yet, but I pay really close attention to my cars, and this was something I noticed. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Uh-oh...I think my variocam may be acting up