Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

can oem mufflers rattle frim the inside?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:53 PM
errico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can oem mufflers rattle frim the inside?

i have a 2001 c2 with stock mufflers, there is a rattle at idle frim inside the muffler it seems, can something be loose in the actual can?

can it be anything else or is it possible because the noise is from there, it really sounds like it anyways.

thank you
Old 04-20-2008, 06:07 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hit it with a rubber mallet (the can) if it still rattles then yes something is loose in there
Old 04-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes.
One of my PSE cans developed a fatal rattle in the can that was audible only when hot and with the engine running.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Be sure to differentiate the muffler from the cat. I had a problem with bad catalytic convertors, the catalyst material had broken up, rattled badly. Got it all taken care of no charge at the dealer under the extended emission control warranty.

2002 C4S
Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by errico
i have a 2001 c2 with stock mufflers, there is a rattle at idle frim inside the muffler it seems, can something be loose in the actual can?

can it be anything else or is it possible because the noise is from there, it really sounds like it anyways.

thank you
If your muffer is shot and you replace it with a stock can, you will be forever shunned on this forum!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by errico

thank you
My 00 C2 had the same problem. I got a set of modded 3.4 cans from Tim some time ago. Took about 45 minutes to swap out. Sound is better, and no rattle

-td
Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something seems to be clanking around under my car as well. Noticed it today after a drive when I got out to move a kid's toy that was in the way. My 944 did the same thing too. My car only has 20k miles, could the muffler(s) be shot? Or is something loose under there?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 PM
errico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny because it comes at perfect timing, i have pse cans waiting for install in my garage along with cats and headers. The plan was to install them on Saturday when i noticed this noise. Montreal Canadians were playing against Boston and I decided to wait on the install, took the car for a ride and hear all this music . Ill replace the cans tomorrow and let you know if that was the issue.

I had no idea there was something in these cans, makes me feel better.

thank you for you responses.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:01 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have not cut open a 996 muffler, but most mufflers have a series of louvered tubes or chambers (imagine a cylindrical cheese grater) and often collars, baffles and other bits to hold the chambers in place. Sound gets attentuated as it passes through each successive chamber, but it's metal in there and things can break, little pebbles and other weird things can get in there too.

It's good you've got that PSE kicking around!

Quick Reply: can oem mufflers rattle frim the inside?