Sponsored by:

BG-44K

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:54 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BG-44K

Didn't find anything while searching the 996 forum, so I thought it might deserve a topic.

I'm going to put some high grade fuel in the car for the first time since it's come back from California (where it definitely detuned to match the lower grade "91" over there). I thought it might be a good time to give the ol' injectors a scrubbing (I ran nearly 3,000 very high speed/crushing traffic miles on that choice California blend), and I've had really good experiences with BG-44K in Benz/AMG and Audi.

Anybody have any experience with BG-44K in a 3.6?

I know some dealers actually sell it as a $$$ "Fuel System Flush/Treatment/Cleaner" Service, but I have a few cans kicking around and know how to use it (hint: Pour into fuel tank. Drive.)
Old 04-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BG is very good chemicals......dont own a 3.6 but I am sure it will work well
Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
bmartini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the can is good but the bg44k fuel system cleaner is actually a three part system, there's the can of fuel additive but also a liquid that gets pumped in the fuel rail (i think) and a spray that gets pumped into the intake all at the same time.

make sure you change your oil right after. if your valves and injectors are actually dirty, then that stuff will contaminate your oil.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bmartini
the can is good but the bg44k fuel system cleaner is actually a three part system, there's the can of fuel additive but also a liquid that gets pumped in the fuel rail (i think) and a spray that gets pumped into the intake all at the same time.

make sure you change your oil right after. if your valves and injectors are actually dirty, then that stuff will contaminate your oil.
In my experience:

BG sells 3 part, 4 part and 6 part solutions (targeting those seeking corrective results)

3 part is CF5 (long term deposit control) 44K (techron on steroids) and ISC (Induction)
All CF5 & 44K go in the fuel tank and ISC through a little feeder into intake or egr. ISC is really for big diesels, and I wouldn't use unless I was stumbling. Would clean TB by hand first then anyway. (see next section)

4 part removes ISC adds MOA which is a really, really nice oil treatment for stop and go-ers and urban dwellers, will have to see as Porsche is already thin on that end and I wouldn't want to find out the hard way, but if anyone's used MOA on a 996 or even 986 I'd love to know how it worked. 4 part also adds Air Intake System Cleaner, which is just throttle body / plenum cleaner. It's much less scary than other spray on TB cleaners, but I still wouldn't spray with MAFs connected.

6 part gets you all of the above and an extra of the cheapest one which I believe is the air intake cleaner.

------

So the moral of the story is the 3 part solution is actually more of a marketing bundle for normal maintenance, but if used together definitely can work miracles on many cars having what may seem to be serious problems idling

44K is the glue that holds them all together, and for maintenance it's the only thing I like to use. CF5 is nice but you can just use 44K more frequently, same difference. ISC is powerful stuff and really was designed for diesels with their higher top end dirt factor, I don't like to use if I don't have to, older engines like their dirt, holds em together (esp on valves and such). MOA is awesome but I don't think I need it.

As for the oil bit, I hear ya, and I'm going to change in under 1000 miles to get ready for driving season back east. but I've gone really, really far after using 44K without changing oil in my old MB, oil came out all right but of course the filter bears the brunt of sedimentary & particulate matter contamination over time so subjective oil quality is not necessarily a good measure.

So maybe the question is: "Hows that 996 oil filter?" Haha

Last edited by htny; 04-19-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had indie put some in our old Audi A4 with almost 120K miles, and has never seen anything higher than 87 octane, definitely felt a difference/improvement.

I would feel comfy putiing it my 99 at some point.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Ran the 44K with a tank of 93, and am now half way through the tank. Everything feels so much better, I think it's already feeling much more responsive, sounds like my Porsche again both at idle and WOT (probably the fuel and not the 44K, possibly psychosomatic) but that's just the ol butt dyno talking.

Quick Reply: BG-44K