Sponsored by:

Detailed the car last night - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Slakr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
Detailed the car last night, finished up this morning, so I thought I'd share some pics. My photography skills suck, but I am very pleased with the results. I also installed clear side markers. I used the following (no affiliation, just what I used... this time):

Paint (Body and rims - after a wash)
Griots clay and Speed Shine
Ultima Paint Prep Plus Polish
Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant.......
Do you use/do anything special on the top??

Here's mine after its maiden top down run of the year!!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What a nice feeling it is after finishing a detail job like yours, what great results. Your Porsche looks brand new, and I bet it drives better too. The windows look amazing.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
the Ultima worked great, minimal effort. Put the sealant on very lightly/thin, I had a few dried blotchy areas that I had to go back over where I applied it too heavy. I did a second coat the following morning.
Everyone seems to love that Ultima, pros and us joes alike. I really went way too all out on the detailing budget, I think I was trying to make up for neglecting it so badly this winter.

Anybody in NYC want a job? Mobile detail business? I'll front the materials!

Partial list:
Orbital Polisher & tons of pads
Menzerna Power Gloss, Super Intensive Polish & Nano Polish
Sonus SFX-1 Scratch Restore Polish (bought with the ultima, didn't have enough grunt for the water etching on our old black slab of a Benz, hence the menzerna)
Ultima PPP for prep and PGP sealant
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard (gonna try to do the rubber accordion under the spoiler too)
Foam gun, even bought a freaking pressure washer
Oh, and Rejex for the wheels and the Audi (which is white and gets parked on the street most nights)
Optimum No Rinse
Zaino Clay and Z8

Oh the tragedy of it all

It's way too funny, laughing at myself, but I figure I have enough stuff to last 3 years on 3 cars, and it's so much cheaper than therapy or fistfights.

Last edited by htny; 04-22-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
99C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by DFC
rleeq and Carrera Mike - Thanks for the compliments!

99C2 - I typically use all Griots products, tried the Ultima for polish and sealant. It worked great with minimal effort. I used to live in the Chicago area, and my mechanic lived in Cary. I am actually job searching in Chicago, maybe I'll be back...
Chicago Land:

There is a RED Cab just like yours roaming around my area, perhaps there's room for one more! Ha! Yeah, let us know if you get back to the area.

Griots, Use the products everyday on the cars and if you use their buffer and go through the steps - it is just awesome! People offer me jobs to detail cars after they see mine! (They could not afford me)

Anyway, good luck in your search.

99C2
Old 04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakr
Do you use/do anything special on the top??

Here's mine after its maiden top down run of the year!!!
Looking good!

For the top, I use Raggtopp products (well, I used to, I now have a brand new top, but that's another story...). Usually just rinse off with water, pat dry, and use a lint roller. If it get's real dirty or a spot, then I use a mild cleaner.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wps-2148.html
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wps-2141.html

Originally Posted by Barn996
What a nice feeling it is after finishing a detail job like yours, what great results. Your Porsche looks brand new, and I bet it drives better too. The windows look amazing.
Drives much better... and faster too

Originally Posted by htny
Everyone seems to love that Ultima, pros and us joes alike. I really went way too all out on the detailing budget, I think I was trying to make up for neglecting it so badly this winter.

Anybody in NYC want a job? Mobile detail business? I'll front the materials!

Partial list:
Orbital Polisher & tons of pads
Menzerna Power Gloss, Super Intensive Polish & Nano Polish
Sonus SFX-1 Scratch Restore Polish (bought with the ultima, didn't have enough grunt for the water etching on our old black slab of a Benz, hence the menzerna)
Ultima PPP for prep and PGP sealant
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard (gonna try to do the rubber accordion under the spoiler too)
Foam gun, even bought a freaking pressure washer
Oh, and Rejex for the wheels and the Audi (which is white and gets parked on the street most nights)
Optimum No Rinse
Zaino Clay and Z8

Oh the tragedy of it all

It's way too funny, laughing at myself, but I figure I have enough stuff to last 3 years on 3 cars, and it's so much cheaper than therapy or fistfights.
Uh, embarassed to say, but my list is actually longer. I have some serious issues...

Originally Posted by 99C2
Chicago Land:
Griots, Use the products everyday on the cars and if you use their buffer and go through the steps - it is just awesome! People offer me jobs to detail cars after they see mine! (They could not afford me)
I get the same thing. I am waaay too much of a perfectionist to make a living at this.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

OK finally had to test ultima on the porsche. I didn't polish or prep, just washed and applied one coat of PGP by hand on the foam thing they ship it with. Then put the Tire and Trim Guard on the tires (wheels have a coat of rejex on them already). Took all of ten minutes. I'm impressed, and I like it because it's effortless. Also I had some heavy rain for a short while coming down the west side highway the other night, but it blew off, perfectly dry no spots in the morning.

First pic is after applying, 2nd pic is after buffing by hand (it's so wet looking the camera's autofocus is all out of whack, was hard to get a shot!)

Last edited by htny; 03-07-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:20 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

also, I did manage to break out the polisher, still testing on other cars before I do the Porsche, but much more confident after seing how the menzerna worked and finished down on black

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/426609-couple-questions-on-random-orbital-polishing-and-waxing.html

So hopefully I will do the Porsche sometime before summer
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by htny
First pic is after applying, 2nd pic is after buffing by hand (it's so wet looking the camera's autofocus is all out of whack, was hard to get a shot!)
Black looks incredible when clean. What did you have to buff? I had a few small spots where I put it on a bit too heavy, and had to buff the next morning, but not too much. It's amazing how little is actually used, I'm sure it will be even easer the next time.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

I think it was CDodkin who told me he buffed his, and that man bought a canopy just for detailing, so I figured I'd sit up and listen! haha

It was very nice unbuffed, just the sealant as it cured. But I sprayed on some Zaino Z8 Quick Detailer and buffed with the cotton applicator it comes with and it just went POP

I have to say the thing I like best about the ultima PGP is even with no prep, practically no product on the applicator, and less than ten minutes of work, it showed up real nicely. My biggest issue with waxing is the lack of free time, so something that goes on this quickly, this easily and looks this good will help if only because I'll actually use it!

Sometime this May I will Menzerna the Porsche and apply several coats of the PGP.

Honestly though I'm not that impressed with the ultima paint prep, I strongly prefer the Menzerna polishes so far (tried the ultima paint prep + on the trunk of my mother's audi, and half the trunk of the MB in the other thread). Maybe it's because I'm a first timer, but the Menzerna stuff is just so easy, so fast, so clean, and so damn glossy when it's done.

Quick Reply: Detailed the car last night - Pics!