Sponsored by:

Any engine savy guys around Newport/Costa Mesa, CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 914helo
I'm in the same boat as you guys and I just ordered my new 3.4L from Sunset porsche. Yes it was $8600 and there's a $2300 core but everything (besides exhaust and AC condenser) will be new. I have a 2 year warranty with unlimited mileage. Most importantly I will have the peace of mind when I start to break the new engine in in 2 weeks.
Small world and thanks for the reply here and Pelican. For me $11700 without core exchange and shipping is pricey for me, but would bring piece of mind. Enjoy your new found power.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmartini

whew.... just sayin....
HA! On your first engine what did you do to fix the cam actuator problem? I was also wondering did they put new rings on? And did the engine case look like it was clean like it was hot dipped? Forgot Ein Malig number do you have?

Last edited by Mother; 04-15-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Mother, I told you my experience with Einmalig....I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole after the two alternators they sold me as new, that were in actuality ruined cores. After almost a year of playing with them on the phone, I settled for a partial store credit.

Here is an old post from a fellow Rennlister that had a similar experience.... "Bad Experience with Einmalig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i called them on the phone and gave them the exact part # for a 10x18 turbo rim and they sent the wrong one. Keep in mind it was COD and i had to pay for shipping and handling and COD on top of that, the cost for the rim which was 500$ which they promised was the FINAL cost shipped to my house. The UPS guy said if its not the right product u can cancel your check. So i payed 30$ to cancel my check. I called Einmalig and they said they sent the right rim that i asked for. LIE LIE LIE. They asked me to ship it back and they will send the right one back to me. I found out it was 50+$ to ship it back and they wont pay me to ship it back for their mistake. So i drove to Huntington Beach myself to find out they sold the rim i wanted yesteday! LIE LIE LIE.

The only thing that happened while doing business with them is that it cost me 90$ and still no rim. I dont recommend anyone buying products from Einmalig! Save you a headache."
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 AM
bmartini
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mother
HA! On your first engine what did you do to fix the cam actuator problem? I was also wondering did they put new rings on? And did the engine case look like it was clean like it was hot dipped? Forgot Ein Malig number do you have?
after they took apart my first motor (i have yet to drop off my second core) they discovered that piston number 6 and 2 was damaged. something came loose, like a spark plug electrode or something, and they charged me 350 bucks so i got back 1150.

this second motor i am giving back (tomorow actually) has a blown head so i am told to expect 1000 even, not much but i also don't feel like keeping a big oily motor around my garage on the off chance i'll need a spare part.... i also don't have the energy to ebay the parts....

good thing is, if u don't like his offer after he takes it apart, u can come back and pick up ur core and keep all the goodies.

the place is very disorganized and PACKED to the brim with porsche parts so i wouldn't be surprised if people order a single part and get the wrong unit in the mail. you have to physically GO THERE IN PERSON to get your ****.

owner is brian farmer (714) 895-6567
Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 AM
bmartini
Instructor

oh and the engine case is sometimes new, sometimes not. my first motor, the heads were clearly brand new and the rest was not. but i physically watched them take apart another motor. they really rebuild them from top to bottom, no scams.

on the second motor i got, it's a completely new case so it really looked like a brand new crate motor.

thats why you need to go there in person, he has four or five of them, and you can pick out the one you want, and make sure you have the proper wiring harness for your car (tip/6spd/year)
Old 04-15-2008, 02:48 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought my motor from Brian at Einmalig, but when it came up with an oil leak, they sent me to Auto Strasse to have it repaired. Jeff there knows his stuff more than anyone I have ever seen. He rebuilds the motors, but does it from parts from other broken engines. I am surprised to hear that Einmalig could assemble or disassemble anything.

For me it was a no brainer. I was already planning to sell the car when I needed the motor, so the shorter warranty was worth the savings in $$ to me.

If you are planning on keeping a long time, I recommend the PCNA motor for piece of mind.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

after they took apart my first motor (i have yet to drop off my second core) they discovered that piston number 6 and 2 was damaged. something came loose, like a spark plug electrode or something, and they charged me 350 bucks so i got back 1150.

this second motor i am giving back (tomorow actually) has a blown head so i am told to expect 1000 even, not much but i also don't feel like keeping a big oily motor around my garage on the off chance i'll need a spare part.... i also don't have the energy to ebay the parts....

good thing is, if u don't like his offer after he takes it apart, u can come back and pick up ur core and keep all the goodies.

the place is very disorganized and PACKED to the brim with porsche parts so i wouldn't be surprised if people order a single part and get the wrong unit in the mail. you have to physically GO THERE IN PERSON to get your ****.

owner is brian farmer (714) 895-6567
Not sure you answered my question or I missed it? You got one of your new engines back from Ein Malig and you had a problem with it, what was the problem and how was it resolved?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM
bmartini
Instructor

Not sure you answered my question or I missed it? You got one of your new engines back from Ein Malig and you had a problem with it, what was the problem and how was it resolved?
well, the first motor was an updated 3.4 that came out of a 6 spd and i was installing it into a tip so the wiring harnesses and intakes were different. i didn't know this or what to change and what not to change so jay (the tech) talked me through that. the mounting bracket it also different on the later model 3.4.

on my second motor, i got a check engine light for an actuator fault. i gave back my second core today and spoke with brian and i am driving the car down tomorrow and they are going to repair it under warranty.

if i bought the motor from sunset i'm not exactly sure how my warranty issues would get resolved since i live in CA. you need to find out if you have to drop the engine and ship it back, or if you can have it repaired at any porsche dealer, etc...
Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

well, the first motor was an updated 3.4 that came out of a 6 spd and i was installing it into a tip so the wiring harnesses and intakes were different. i didn't know this or what to change and what not to change so jay (the tech) talked me through that. the mounting bracket it also different on the later model 3.4.

on my second motor, i got a check engine light for an actuator fault. i gave back my second core today and spoke with brian and i am driving the car down tomorrow and they are going to repair it under warranty. Also you have PM

if i bought the motor from sunset i'm not exactly sure how my warranty issues would get resolved since i live in CA. you need to find out if you have to drop the engine and ship it back, or if you can have it repaired at any porsche dealer, etc...
It is nice that he is close at least you will find out what his warrenty covers regarding the engine removal etc. I am from out of state and can see the complications, but just guessing here that if local Porsche is installing the eng then they would pay costs of R&R but just not sure. Let us know the results. I also PM'ed you. Best of Luck

Quick Reply: Any engine savy guys around Newport/Costa Mesa, CA