Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Carrera 4 handling dynamics

Old 04-10-2019, 12:12 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Just to circle back, I checked my PSI since that's an obvious first step. I have a TSB summary about correct PSI's from Porsche and they say that half load (2 passengers only) correct PSI is 33F and 36R. My tires were set much higher over the winter to help prevent flat spotting. When I set them correctly, the steering was definitely much improved.

Overall, the car feels great. It seems to drive like a power boat, meaning, power and steering comes from the rear. I know that's not totally accurate, but it's pretty good imagery for me at least. It's just classic 911 feel vs the rest of my cars (all front engine, RWD).

Bottom line: the more I drive it, the more I'm enjoying it. (Oh, and I have the LSD rear and sport suspension. fyi.)

It's all good.

Next stop: alignment and new tires. No rush on those items.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m new to Porsche and rear engine, so I’m slowly building my skills with it. HPDE would be great but I can’t fit in the car with a helmet at 6’6” tall.

I was was attracted to the 996 by a day with 997s and 987s at a Porsche World Roadshow back in 2010. I love the fact that as I get on the power while exiting a turn (say at 45-65mph) that the back gets MORE planted, not less. The front gets lighter but it’s doing less work during this power-on-exit, so that’s OK! I need to learn a lot more but I’m on the street and don’t want to do anything stupid.

I’m going to the next local PCA HPDE event as a spectator, to watch my local club colleagues as well as to borrow a helmet and see if I can make it work. If I can, I’ll sign up for the next one we have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carrera 4 handling dynamics