Sponsored by:

'99 Cabriolet Squeeks & Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default '99 Cabriolet Squeeks & Rattles

My '99 Cab need tightening up. I't rattling like never before and after a long hard winter the roads here are in terrible shape. It seems like the doors are a source or some of the noise as I can put my hand between the sill and door when on a rough road and it is somewhat quieter. I'm looking for ANY and ALL things that would contribute to noise from loose or chafing components. I have the sports seats and they seem to rattle a bit over rough roads, especially without a passenger. The doors mentioned earlier may be full of loose components that need tightening, any links on taking the panels off? Console area? Anyone know about the top and related mechanism as to loosening up an rattling? Seems with the top up something is noisey behind me. Any and all ideas are welcome, links on individual fixes, and any details are much appreciated. I did a search a month or so ago and after wading for a while in non related stuff I got frustrated. I'm probably not a very good searcher. Thanks for helping a Cab owner of nearly 5 years, keeping the love affair alive.

Nick
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

None of the following might be relevant to a 911, so take it for what it's worth... I drove a convertible for 7 years. They rattle, and more so when they get old. There really isn't very much you can do about it without driving yourself crazy, and anything you DO fix will just make the other rattles more irritating. On my car, which again was NOT a 911, the times when the car felt tighter were the time when I put fresh tires on it, the time I put a strut brace on it, and the time I redid the suspension.

The latter case was interesting. The new suspension was much stiffer and the car was lowered, but the gas shocks were also more compliant over small bumps, so on decent pavement the car actually seemed quieter and smoother. Hit something big or lean it hard into a corner, and it was another story, of course. Anyway, FWIW.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
My '99 Cab need tightening up. I't rattling like never before and after a long hard winter the roads here are in terrible shape. It seems like the doors are a source or some of the noise as I can put my hand between the sill and door when on a rough road and it is somewhat quieter. I'm looking for ANY and ALL things that would contribute to noise from loose or chafing components. I have the sports seats and they seem to rattle a bit over rough roads, especially without a passenger. The doors mentioned earlier may be full of loose components that need tightening, any links on taking the panels off? Console area? Anyone know about the top and related mechanism as to loosening up an rattling? Seems with the top up something is noisey behind me. Any and all ideas are welcome, links on individual fixes, and any details are much appreciated. I did a search a month or so ago and after wading for a while in non related stuff I got frustrated. I'm probably not a very good searcher. Thanks for helping a Cab owner of nearly 5 years, keeping the love affair alive.

Nick
There is a procedure for lubricating the cabriolet top. Porsche recommeds a lubricant like Krytox which is good for rubber seals etc. I found three noise points that I lubricated with silicone spray (don't have Krytox).

First spot is where the front of the cabriolet top meets the top of the front windshield at each corner. Used silicone spray, worked for me.

Second spot is the cabriolet rail mechanism referred to as the roof frame. There are specific instructions on where to apply lubrication. Open the top half way. You will see there is a rubber spacer between the roof frames where the lulbricant should be applied. Porsche recommeds krytox. I used Silicone spray...worked for me.

Third part is the top of the passenger and driver side window as it squeaks, or rattles against the top of the roof frame. With the top fully up and closed, I lowered the window and used a very, very, very thin film of white lithium grease applied to the very top of the window. Close the window all the way and shut the door. Outstanding results but it you must use very sparingly as its very greasy. Silcone spray would likely work as well.

One more spot worth investigating is the door latch mechanism. I have sprayed silicone on the latch/catch on my passenger door as it was "ticking" slightly as I moved over bumps. Cured the problem and I reapplied a few times. It has not come back since.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the club...advice?.....drive with the top down at all times and turn the radio on (not to loud..because the exhaust sound should still be heard!!).

With the top up it sounds like the roof has marbles in it...with the top down all is fine!!

Quick Reply: '99 Cabriolet Squeeks & Rattles