Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you folks think of replica wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
befast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you folks think of replica wheels?

My turbotwists were chromed (poorly) by previous owner, and they are now seriously peeling. I am considering purchasing a set of new replicas. Would you folks recommend against this? Would it be better to get a "pretty good" pair of OEM ones and then have them repaired for trueness and curb rash?

PS: If anyone has 996 C4 compatible wheels they are interested in selling, I am an interested buyer!

-- befast
Old 04-09-2008, 09:04 PM
befast
Instructor

Ok, I used the search feature and found that consensus seems to be to stay away from replica wheels. That's my feeling as well. However, really nice new aftermarket wheels and new OEM wheels are out of my budget. Can curb rash on the lip of an OEM sport design rim be readily fixed?

-- befast
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use one set of replicas for my snows and another set of replicas for my backup set of track wheels.

OEM are on the street and Fikse 3 piece are track primaries.

The replicas are nothing special but they aren't dangerous junk that look it. You would be hard pressed to identify them mounted on the car. FWIW: buy the ones made in Italy. The diff in the extra weight is all in the area behind the lugnuts being thicker/stronger. I have weighed them side by side and they are 1 lb heavier the the same stock wheel (as I recall).
Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing wrong with good replica's, I am sure allot of the members here wouldn't even know the difference between OEM and the replicas if it wasn't for the Part/offset markings on the rims. Remember I said good replicas, the ones made in Italy.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

If you're replacing all four wheels at the same time, replicas might be OK. I would never mix replicas and OEMs.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 PM
befast
Instructor

I would actually really love to get a set of OEM sport designs. Somehow I only ever come across sets with curb rash though.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of replicas for my winter setup...the italian kind. They were under 600 bucks delivered. They are just as good as my OEM's. I got the techno look....I like them a lot.

J
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
stanm5
Racer

As kilrgt said, there are some good replica wheels and others that are a complete waste of money.
I would watch the classifieds over at 6speed, lots of 18" oe wheels come up for sale at low prices.
Good luck.
Stan
Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stan..How are ya!! did you sell the side skirts ?someone asked me for a set sorry to jack the thread!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, if you send the rims to Metro Wheels in Atlanta, they will check for round, true, cracks, & balance, and only repair rash with tig weld, do a total refinish and bake on a new finish for $160 a wheel + S&H. Well worth it. I've used them before and mine are going there this winter...
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

The Italian replicas from the Tirerack I tried bent easily...not again for me.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Replicas are fine just get the ones that are TUV approved and they will meet the same standard as the Porsche ones.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
stanm5
Racer

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Stan..How are ya!! did you sell the side skirts ?someone asked me for a set sorry to jack the thread!
Hey Paul,

Doing great, thanks! How about you? The car is going in to the shop in the next week or so, needs some clear coat work and a respray of the front bumper. Whle it's in the flared rockers will be painted too!

How are you enjoying the TT? Do you still own the C2? Last time I saw you there was an engine build in the works.

Cheers,
Stan
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 PM
SBDinATL
Advanced

Without taking the wheel off and looking for a Porsche part number it would be impossible to tell some replicas from OEM.

Replicas tend to weigh more because they are not hollow spokes as some OEM wheels are.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Blackness
Pro

I'm in the same predicament as befast. The wheels on my Millennium have developed a couple of small places where the finish is peeling. These wheels have a chrome or highly polished look, but the actual finish cannot be duplicated. It's a Mylar laminate over epoxy base. I want to pull these wheels off as soon as possible and store them away as is.

I can't afford a set of BBS's or the like and am looking at the Italian replicas as an option. Does anyone have experience with Raderwerks? befast -- I don't mean to hijack the thread, but hopefully this is information that will help both of us.

Quick Reply: What do you folks think of replica wheels?