Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Newbie question, can the Shift Lever be taken apart and painted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Newbie question, can the Shift Lever be taken apart and painted?

Greetings,

I have transferred to the 996 Forum from the 964 Forum, so Hello to all. I sold my 964 to a fine young man and upgraded to a '02 C4S. What an amazing car!

Everything is great on the car, except the rear plastic part of the shift lever has a good scratch on it. Does anyone know if I can take the shift lever apart and have it repaired and repainted? I know the lever can be removed, but don't know if it is practical to do what I'm thinking.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this,
Steve
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:27 AM
grantq
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sexy car! and good question. I'm curious too, the silver is chipping off my shift **** and i'd like to repaint it while i do the rest of the trim (center console, trunk levers, etc.)
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New 996 Purchase

Greetings,

I have transferred to the 996 Forum from the 964 Forum, so Hello to all. I sold my 964 to a fine young man and upgraded to a '02 C4S. What an amazing car!

Everything is great on the car, except the rear plastic part of the shift lever has a good scratch on it. Does anyone know if I can take the shift lever apart and have it repaired and repainted? I know the lever can be removed, but don't know if it is practical to do what I'm thinking.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this,
Steve
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

buy an upgraded mod?

my shifter is metal on the rear? it also has a coloured metal crest embossed in one and other one has a crest pressed into the metal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cpa4S; 04-03-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I had the same issue. I removed the shifter from the car and then peeled the shifting diagram (held on with double sided tape). I then used painters tape to mask off all off the leather and and the tape under the shifting diagram. I lightly sanded the area and did multiple light coats of silver paint I picked up from Advance Auto ( Dupli-Color 8801530 Silver(M)-recommendation from blitzkrieg on Renntech which was an excellent match). At that point it was pretty much done. If you're really **** you could do a light color sanding and maybe another coat. My chip is still barely visible when the shifter was in my house under direct lights, but my friends said I was insane and couldn't see it. In the car under normal lighting they were 100% correct.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I had the same issue. I removed the shifter from the car and then peeled the shifting diagram (held on with double sided tape). .

i wanted to remove my metal shift diagram and replace with carbon fiber. we must have different shifters as i can't see mine peeling off - never tried it though!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a decent online catalog with pictures of upgrade ***** available? I line the one pictured in CPA4S car..it also looks a bit shorter than the stock one. Is it?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Is there a decent online catalog with pictures of upgrade ***** available? I line the one pictured in CPA4S car..it also looks a bit shorter than the stock one. Is it?
Try www.carnewal.com. That should get you started.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

watch ebay
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i wanted to remove my metal shift diagram and replace with carbon fiber. we must have different shifters as i can't see mine peeling off - never tried it though!
Me neither until someone else mentioned it one day. It's actually a clear plastic piece about 2-3mm thick. I just slid a thin screw driver along the side and it popped right up. The back side is painted black and you don't to scratch it so be cautious if you plan on reusing it.

Quick Reply: Newbie question, can the Shift Lever be taken apart and painted?