Air Intake Replacement in 01 996 C2

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The Ultimate Porsche intake!

The best of all worlds!

And while you are throwing your money away, send me $200 and I will give you a Carbon Offset Credit too!

These "cold" air intakes are as old as the hills and just as worthless.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You're going to make a lot of friends here by mocking everyone who bought a CAI with a stupid, baseless remark like that.

If you've got an intelligent counterpoint to offer, maybe even some real evidence to go with it, I'd be all ears. Otherwise, let's bear in mind that your particular interest in these cars involves them sitting inert on a lawn hoping for a ribbon. People who love to drive them might have another perspective, and I'd say they're entitled to it.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

My goodness, it looks like someone have a hot air intake inserted somewhere it should not be!

The point of my statements is that for as long as there have been mods to cars, there have been these cold air intake systems, and their value has remained constant. Other than letting the intake air sound louder (usually by doing away with the air intake muffler or Helmholtz resonator), they have no value at all.

But yet year after year, a new generation of suckers (sic) line up to debate and defend the merits these devices. And those that have plunked down their cash to get one bend over backwards to justify their purchase.

And by the way, While I do enjoy sitting on a lawn knowing that I will get a ribbon, I am quite also certain that I can also show you the rear of my car lap after lap at any track or venue of your choosing.

Last edited by Orient Express; 04-06-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
BruceP
Drifting

You don't know very much about cars, obviously, so I forgive your impertinence.

Here's a short seminar to keep you from embarrassing yourself further: Some intakes are of no value on some cars. Some intakes are of some value on some cars. A few intakes are of no value on any cars. And a few intakes are of immense value on a few cars. Follow that? Here's the thing: Airflow - volume and velocity - is not the only criterion on which an engineer designs an intake, any more than one criterion determines the design of anything in the world. He/she has to deal with the cost of making it, the imputed cost of installing it on an assembly line, space in the engine bay, noise, emissions, access to the motor for service, durability of the parts involved, on and on. Sometimes, on some cars, an owner really can get more performance by giving up one or more of the compromises the engineer chose or had to make. CAIs endure because they work on some cars. They just do, and you making a blanket, monothematic statement to the contrary is silly.

I'm also quite certain you can show me the rear of your car lap after lap. In my rear view mirror. It's called trailing throttle oversteer. They probably don't teach you that at Armor-All school...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

My goodness, a blustry Canadian, what's that all aboot? I hope the RCMPP* don't catch you.

I want to thank you for whole-hardly agreeing with me on this topic. It is true that a simpleton can use the relative impossibility of absolutes as a valid argument, but when it comes to a discussion of Air Intakes tubes, this is one of the few cases where absolutes are valid . And yes your points have merit, but their relevancy to this discussion is debatable.

In the case of Cold Air Tubes, the general claim that they increase the performance of a car are completely baseless, despite countless claims to the contrary over the ages. But all is not wasted, they do provide value in aesthetics (they can look cool, and give the owner something to brag about), and aural. ("listen how loud my car is now when I punch it, it must have more power!")

One last thing, Don't feel bad about your professed lack of track skill. Take solice that as you spin around on the track, your rearview mirror will guarantee that you will get to see me no matter which way you are pointing.

*Royal Canadian Mounted Politeness Patrol

Thanks and goodnight.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:06 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Wow, this one has it all. Bigotry (why is it certain people around here go straight for my nationality when they're losing an argument?). Opaque logic. Poor spelling. An absolute lack of corroborating evidence, or even rationale. And mean-spirited mocking that smacks of nothing so much as abject insecurity. Well, I reckon you've got us all convinced. Mine's going on ebay. I feel such a fool...

Your track-star chest thumping, however, is just desperate and embarrassing to watch. Next you'll tell me your dad can beat mine up mine...

Silly boy.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
These "cold" air intakes are as old as the hills and just as worthless.
So you've tested each of the various models on a variety of model years and have data disproving any HP gains? If you don't have any data, why would you throw out an "absolute" statement like that?

I am quite also certain that I can also show you the rear of my car lap after lap at any track or venue of your choosing.
Given the level of many drivers on this board, this is also a pretty bold statement. (I've always found that there's always someone faster out there, but you are obviously a top pro).

Why not thow out something equally silly (and off topic) like my dad is bigger than your dad?

Here's a web site for you. You may be able to find some people of like minds here...

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm
Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Better yet, If both Ray and Bruce's moms will let them out, why don't we meet up at Thunderhill or Laguna or Infineon so i can kick both of your asses.

and bring your cold air intakes, as you will need them.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

OE,

You have a beautiful car and I have always respected your opinions.

I still remember you showing proper jacking point on the engine block in one of your threads from a while ago. In fact, your wealth of knowledge gave me peace in buying a 996. I understand that your post was just in fun but people here are taking it more seriously than your original intent.

I would hate to lose you as a productive and knowledgable contributor from the "old school" days on this forum.

Peace.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better yet, If both Ray and Bruce's moms will let them out, why don't we meet up at Thunderhill or Laguna or Infineon so i can kick both of your asses.

I love the trash talk!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

My days in the WWF sometimes get the best of me!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I love the trash talk!
That is because you are on your first triple cappuccino and I am coming down on mine.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

More BS huh?? Looks like you trained at the Ghetto Racer school of Rennlist posting.

If you want to "kick my ***" (your words) head on over to Blackhawk (why would I drive out to you for your childish internet challenge?). If you have any skill you should have no problem passing a Boxster. If not you won't be the first 996 I've passed.....

Back on topic, let me know when you come up with some data to support your assertions about intakes. As previously stated I have not tested any myself, but a simple search turns up plenty of evidence both ways. Or.....you could just change the subject again.

Toward that end I've got a few ideas for your next stupid challenge. Maybe we could have a hot dog eating contest or see who could hold their breath the longest......
Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
That is because you are on your first triple cappuccino and I am coming down on mine.
Dude bro, you spying on me?

I usually pick up a double short cuban cappuccino for the mornings. A cuban or cubano shot is when they actually add a packet of raw sugar into the pull of espresso itself making it sweeter. Very few cafes do this in America cuz they say it fuqs up their machines, but my local cafe does it which is great.

Seriously man if you're into coffee check out www.stumptowncoffee.com. One of the best in all my travels. And they're in the Pacific NW, baby!

As for all the air filter, super engineer conjecture BS --> .

Quick Reply: Air Intake Replacement in 01 996 C2