Sponsored by:

Air Intake Replacement in 01 996 C2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmchris01
I purchased my K&N intake from AutoAnything for $262.95, which included free shipping. I then purchased a 5" AEM dry filter for ~$35 after having the K&N olied filter trip CEL codes for the MAF multiple times. Cleaned the MAF, reset the code and installed the AEM and have not had a problem since.

I am familiar with the Fabspeed and Schnell CAI "enlarged tube", sent my Schnell back to Vertex after receiving it. It adds a bit more sound (yippie), but not near as "effective" as either the EVO or the K&N CAI...IMHO. ***-dyno noticed a bit more throtle response, which seemed to work well with my Cargraphic headers and exhaust.

Recently ran across a used EVO intake in Panorama for $250, but it was sold before the mag went to print.
Do you mind posting which EXACT AEM filter your using with the set up?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Anyone have experience with FVD's intake?

I already picked up mine, to work with my GT3 decklid... just curious before it gets bolted on.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
I am with Cory on this as well, and when it comes to hp he seems to know his **** as good as anyone on this board.
Wow, thanks for the compliment LS.......
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmill01
What is the AEM Filter being discussed as bought? WHen I go to the AEM website I find no Porsche option in there selection for Car Make...

I went ahead and bought the K&N option and would like to do the Dry Filter if I could find it?

Thanks,
Miller
Miller,

The AEM I used is 21-204DK 3.5" x 5". It fit like a glove onto the K&N Intake, which has a 3.5" diameter opening.

Sorry for the late reply!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Do you mind posting which EXACT AEM filter your using with the set up?
Use the AEM 21-204DK 3.5"x5" filter. Purchased it on eBay for $35.

Last edited by jmchris01; 04-01-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Wrong part number
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
dmill01
AutoX

I want to thank everyone for their input and helping me to decide.

I went with the K&N 63-7000 and the AEM Dryflow filter. Plan to have installed next week.

Curious on the thought that Porsche has engineered everything as good as it can get. This thought is silly. Why does Mercedes have AMG and Ford use Shelby and Roush for Mustangs.... There is obviously aftermarket mods that can make a vehicle better. It’s all a cost to engineering and production that drives where they cut corners and things can be bettered.

Anyway, will let you know how it turns out after install.

Miller
Old 04-04-2008, 04:41 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray S
Let's look at the flip side of that coin. Why do some people think that every part that Porsche puts in these cars is the absolute engineering pinnacle that can't be improved upon?

I have never seen an OEM motor (from any manufacturer) that can't be coaxed into delivering more power than it was delivered with. The 996 motors are no exception IMHO. Porsche may not have left a lot of hp on the table, but it is there and some on this board (and others) have shown dyno proven gains with this and other mods. There have also been numerous problems reported (blown MAFs, CEL's, etc.) on some cars.

To the OP I would say, the search function is your friend
Ray
Let's take a closer look at the original side:
Have you ever inspected an air filter?
If you see the dirt forming, after as many as 20, 000 Km there is slightly less
than 1/3 of the filter dirty (close to the intake) and the rest is clean like new!

Most likely you only use 1/ 3 of what your OEM Porsche air intake can provide.

What I mean to point out is that you can red line the engine, and still there
is plenty of air coming through, not "choking" like some think.

Second point is, if you drive in the rain or dustier conditions, why would
you want an open air intake, letting much more dirt into the engine? Not
to mention what the filter oil does to the MAF and several other components.

You are right about Porsche Engineering not always shinning at its best,
but this one is relatively simple; it is not that you are gonna run into so much
negative pressure, that an after market CAI is necessary.

I didn't say Porsche Engineers are always the "absolute engineering pinnacle" (as you stated), only that
some people think that they cannot design an air intake that will provide enough air.

Again, for extra sound OK, but horse power probably close to 0%.

John
Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the discussion of Porsche engineering misses the point pretty badly. Yes, a car company worries about costs, Porsche not the least. But they also have to account for a bunch of other stuff, including in the case of CAIs whether noise regulations are met. It's the same as the 'chipping' discussion... it's not that Porsche is stupid, it's that they have different objectives than aftermarket parts suppliers do. Up to you to decide if yours are the same or not.

I know the party's over, but FWIW I have the EVO. It doesn't give me any meaningful power gains other than maybe near the peak, but I'm not going to buy dyno time to prove it. I love the sound of it, which adds a lot to spirited driving sessions. And I do oil tests to show that nothing nasty is getting into the motor. (It isn't, though cylinder wear is certainly not one of this motor's weak spots by a long shot).
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Ray
Let's take a closer look at the original side:
Have you ever inspected an air filter?
If you see the dirt forming, after as many as 20, 000 Km there is slightly less
than 1/3 of the filter dirty (close to the intake) and the rest is clean like new!

Most likely you only use 1/ 3 of what your OEM Porsche air intake can provide.

What I mean to point out is that you can red line the engine, and still there
is plenty of air coming through, not "choking" like some think.

Second point is, if you drive in the rain or dustier conditions, why would
you want an open air intake, letting much more dirt into the engine? Not
to mention what the filter oil does to the MAF and several other components.

You are right about Porsche Engineering not always shinning at its best,
but this one is relatively simple; it is not that you are gonna run into so much
negative pressure, that an after market CAI is necessary.

I didn't say Porsche Engineers are always the "absolute engineering pinnacle" (as you stated), only that
some people think that they cannot design an air intake that will provide enough air.

Again, for extra sound OK, but horse power probably close to 0%.

John
Your analogy of viewing a filter (and looking for dirt) is flawed in my opinion. You can't judge the flow characteristics of an intake system by looking at the fiter to see if it is dirty. (I used to work for a water filtration company. You can't judge the flow of any filter just by looking at it). Furthermore, intake design plays a role here as well as media (it should be viewed as a system IMO).

The concept behind the aftermarket filters is to offer more flow (less restriction) and higher volume. Just looking at the EVO it would seem to provide both characteristics. It you do a search on this and other boards you will find that some have seen small dyno proven gains with this and other flow devices (like the RSS plenum). An additional benefit is that people do seem to rave about the sound.

The downside of course is potential MAF/CEL problems as well as questions regarding the aftermarket filters ability to filter to the same particulate level as stock. On the positive side, I have had an EVO intake on my Boxster for almost 7 years and I have never had a problem (Different system obviously but the concept is the similar). Furthermore there are dozens of guys on this and other boards that run the 996 EVO intake with no apparent problems.

I will probably add the EVO system to my car shortly. I'll let you know if I have any problems.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 PM
waldrondigital
Advanced

My mechanic also said that the oil in the K&N can ruin your MAF. I mentioned cleaning it and not re-oiling...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by waldrondigital
I mentioned cleaning it and not re-oiling...
I wouldn't do that. The oil is critical to the way it filters. What you need to worry about is not the oil but over-oiling, which is a common mistake with these things.

A new mass airflow sensor is not the end of the world, BTW. Though they can, they aren't really designed to last the life of the car, and their accuracy declines over time anyway as they inevitably become contaminated regardless of what kind of filter you use.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I wouldn't do that. The oil is critical to the way it filters. What you need to worry about is not the oil but over-oiling, which is a common mistake with these things.

A new mass airflow sensor is not the end of the world, BTW. Though they can, they aren't really designed to last the life of the car, and their accuracy declines over time anyway as they inevitably become contaminated regardless of what kind of filter you use.
+1 to the first part. The oil is the media to catch the dirt.

To the second, I never heard of a Toyota or Honda MAF failing (not saying they wont), I think it is a German car thing.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tippy
+1 to the first part. The oil is the media to catch the dirt.

To the second, I never heard of a Toyota or Honda MAF failing (not saying they wont), I think it is a German car thing.
I've heard that, too. The only one I've replaced was on my Rover, and the engine management system is all Bosch...

Still, just because they don't fail doesn't mean they don't deteriorate. My only point was that they aren't necessarily a forever part in any case.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

There has been a lot of debate on this board and others over the issue of the oiled filters affect on the MAF. As has been the experience of many others, I too tripped a CEL code indicating my MAF was bad shortly after installing my K&N intake. I'd clean the MAF, reset the code, then a 100 miles or so later it would trip again. This went on for 3 or 4 times. I finally decided to reinstall the OEM intake.

After doing some additional research, and after speaking with several tuners at both local shops and at Champion Motorsports, with Cargraphic, etc.. they explained that they had great results with the AEM Dryfilter systems. I reinstalled the K&N intake with a AEM dry filter and have not had a problem since. It complements the Cargraphic headers & exhaust I have nicely.

Interesting dilemma regarding the debated results of adding headers, CAI, IPD Plenum, ECU flash, is that these cars are not and will never be perfect off the assembly line and as others have pointed out, Porsche engineers them to meet certain regulatory and profitability requirements, among other things. Porsche, like any other automotive manufacturer strives for continuous improvement of the products in both function and form and they have to deal with supplier parts and quality issues as well. As a testament to this, Porsche themselves was able to squeeze 12bhp from the new 987 over the 986 (20 bhp for the S model) simply due to tweaking the intake and exhaust.

P-cars can be modified to obtain subtle, yet incremental gains in performance. Hell, there is an entire industry devoted to aftermarket performance...which is not all smoke and mirrors. Is it considered a waste of money??... that depends on what value it brings to the buyer. Renting "No Country For Old Men" or having to spend $1,000 to take a family of 4 to a Red Wings playoff game... now that's a waste of money! IMHO
Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 AM
fastbydrmike
Intermediate

I have the evo air box with the Plenum. I did these mods at different times and could notice a large increase with the Plenum and a increase with the air box. No doubt it had more grunt but that was by my butt dyno! I do like the sound of the air box at WOT, that thing howls. A open air box derestricts the air going in, so you will notice a difference.

Mike

Quick Reply: Air Intake Replacement in 01 996 C2