Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Reservoir leak??? Safety concern - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:14 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Reservoir leak??? Safety concern - HELP!

dear all,

a few weeks ago i noticed a little bit of brake fluid on the top of the brake fluid reservoir. i figured the cap was not seated on all the way (or seated properly). i wiped the fluid and re-seated the brake fluid reservoir cap. i did notice that if i tightened it too much, it would click and i'd have to re-tighten it all over again (stopping right before the click)

today i noticed a little bit of brake fluid on top of the reservoir again. you can see it right around the edge:

the brakes seem totally fine. i had them bleed by a high end independent porsche shop about 9 months ago (~5K miles ago).

any ideas of what this could be? the fluid is right around the 'max' marks. my first step will be replacing the reservoir cap but if anybody has any other suggestions, i'd LOVE to hear them.

thanks.

P.S. - what does the "clean filter cap before removing" mean? why before? how can you clean it before removing? gosh i feel stupid, i suspect the answer will be super simple.
P.P.S. - FWIW, i searched the forum without much luck
P.P.P.S - i do exercise the brakes a lot when driving (withing speed limits of course )
Old 03-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i have the same thing on mine.
could it just be spilled fluid from when you were adding more in?
Old 03-23-2008, 03:41 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed it after AX events where ABS kicks in.

As a preventive maintenance, I will probably just buy another cap just in case the seal is bad.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jkb
dear all,

a few weeks ago i noticed a little bit of brake fluid on the top of the brake fluid reservoir. i figured the cap was not seated on all the way (or seated properly). i wiped the fluid and re-seated the brake fluid reservoir cap. i did notice that if i tightened it too much, it would click and i'd have to re-tighten it all over again (stopping right before the click)

today i noticed a little bit of brake fluid on top of the reservoir again. you can see it right around the edge:
the brakes seem totally fine. i had them bleed by a high end independent porsche shop about 9 months ago (~5K miles ago).

any ideas of what this could be? the fluid is right around the 'max' marks. my first step will be replacing the reservoir cap but if anybody has any other suggestions, i'd LOVE to hear them.

thanks.

P.S. - what does the "clean filter cap before removing" mean? why before? how can you clean it before removing? gosh i feel stupid, i suspect the answer will be super simple.
P.P.S. - FWIW, i searched the forum without much luck
P.P.P.S - i do exercise the brakes a lot when driving (withing speed limits of course )
In case the cap is really dirty, which it never really is on these cars, they mean to wipe around it with a rag so no dirt falls into the reservoir.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Reservoir leak??? Safety concern - HELP!