Coilover Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Coilover Advice

I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension on my 996 C2. I currently have the Porsche X74 kit on my car and I'm looking for a step up from that system (looking for full adjustability and a little more capability).

The kits I'm considering are;

PSS10
- Is this system significantly improved over the PSS9 or is it just a mild upgrade?

JIC Cross Competition Coilovers
- Don't know much about this one

KW Varient 3 Coilovers
- This system seems the most capable of the three. But, people say it's below Motons in capability

Anyone have experience with any of these set-ups? Any/all opinions welcome.

Initially, this car will be for street only. However, down the road this will become a full on DE/Club Racing car and the Boxster will retire to a summer fun road street car only.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your even considering tracking the car occationally...go with the kit JIC kit from Vivid.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane993
If your even considering tracking the car occationally...go with the kit JIC kit from Vivid.
Do you have one (on your car) or have you driven a car with it? If so what were your impressions?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Duane993
Racer

I've just put PSS 10s on with H&R sway bars. These are fantastic for a street driven car. Easy to adjust the ride height and the dampening. However when you adjust the height you are also changing the spring rate. This is find for a street car that you just set up once and just drive everyday. However if you're tracking the car and change the ride height to fit different track conditions, the JIC coil over height adjustment is independent of the spring rate. Clearly a better solution. Also consider changing your upper rear control arms and toe steer arm. The back end of the 996TT are a bit soft for the track and these component better control camber and toe steer on the track. Of course the sacrafice is they can be a bit stiff for the street.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

I think if you want something more serious than the X74, go with either the JIC or the KW V3. The PSS9's height adjustment does not conserve the shock travel -- meaning, adjusting the height increases or decreases the shock travel. One thing I don't like about the PSS9/10.

The JIC, KW, and H&R CO's I believe all have a full threaded shock body, which will allow you to adjust the ride height independent of the shock travel.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Duane993
Racer

Cross also has solid spherical bushing and camber plates.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pss10s aren't much of an improvement if at all over the pss9s.

with that said, for you ray, all the coilovers you listed are pretty much within the same range. heck i was considering kw3s v. tcklines in the M3. to get serious with this, go big or go home. go motons/ohlins orstick with what you got cuz it's not really an upgrade.

people recommending jics or whatever over your x74 i don't think really know what they're reading about. all this stuff i'm saying comes from years of reading up on s2000 fools who track the crap outta their cars and hang out with a lot of other track nerds. www.nsxfiles.com too.

$1K per corner baby boy.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Ray,
Here's my .02. Go with JRZ or Moton if you're looking to make that next jump. Even the JRZ's without the external resivoir are a better option than anything else you've listed.

The JIC's are an attractive package in that they allow you to choose spring rate and come completel with monoballs and camber plates but when I looked into them I was a bit put off by some of the info I found on the internet about them and particularly that they only come with one standard valving unless you choose a sprint rate >1000 lbs/in. It made me a bit leary that they'd ship a shock with a 400lb spring or 1000 lb spring with no valving chagnes...BUT again many members here are happy with them and some even race on the JIC's so it could have just been undue concern on my part.

I really wanted JRZ's or Motons when I got my H&R RSS clubsport coilovers but decided to go with a simple setup to learn the car and put more of the money into track days. I kick myself now for making that decsion despite being happy with the setup I currently have. I find myself wanting to tinker with settings now and all I can play with is the sway bars.

Andy
Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Ray,
Here's my .02. Go with JRZ or Moton if you're looking to make that next jump. Even the JRZ's without the external resivoir are a better option than anything else you've listed.

The JIC's are an attractive package in that they allow you to choose spring rate and come completel with monoballs and camber plates but when I looked into them I was a bit put off by some of the info I found on the internet about them and particularly that they only come with one standard valving unless you choose a sprint rate >1000 lbs/in. It made me a bit leary that they'd ship a shock with a 400lb spring or 1000 lb spring with no valving chagnes...BUT again many members here are happy with them and some even race on the JIC's so it could have just been undue concern on my part.

I really wanted JRZ's or Motons when I got my H&R RSS clubsport coilovers but decided to go with a simple setup to learn the car and put more of the money into track days. I kick myself now for making that decsion despite being happy with the setup I currently have. I find myself wanting to tinker with settings now and all I can play with is the sway bars.

Andy

BIG +1. JRZ would be my choice. They are VERY close to Motons without the price of Motons. All the above listed are VERY similar in adjustability and dynamics. The JRZ's are infinitely adjustable and are built with VERy good quality. The JRZ's are my choice after my PSS9's give out.

Good luck.

C.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I got H&R from tire rack for $1850 and got the car corner balanced. Big difference.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

JRZ over any of those choices Ray listed would be a no-brainer. However, Ray only mentioned those two choices (JIC or KW V3) possibly due to cost.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remember that if you go with a JRZ/Moton, the service intervals of the shocks will probably be higher (as gathered from the many owners on rennlist). JRZ's seem to need revalving a bit more frequently than motons, and a complex setup like multi-way adjustable Moton's/JRZ's are only as good as the guy setting them up.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
remember that if you go with a JRZ/Moton, the service intervals of the shocks will probably be higher (as gathered from the many owners on rennlist). JRZ's seem to need revalving a bit more frequently than motons, and a complex setup like multi-way adjustable Moton's/JRZ's are only as good as the guy setting them up.

Not to mention customer service... it will be there with the JRZ unlike with JIC.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray,
I might have an extra set of JRZ two way race shocks at a good price. Of course you'll have to denounce Kimi and pledge allegiance to Alonso but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

My only concern is that I'm heard that race JRZs can corrode if used on the street. It’s something you would want to look into.
Jim
Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm curious, Ray. I look at your avatar: a very nice example of a street 911. I look at your sig: an enviable example of a track 986. I know the X73/X74 suspension: Unless your streets are glass smooth, they are just barely streetable. With upgrading from them, are you now saying you will have 2 track dedicated cars?

Quick Reply: Coilover Advice