Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to clean the engine compartment..?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Rickker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean the engine compartment..?

There have been lots of pics showing very nice and clean engines. How do you do it? I have only owned a 996 since December, and my engine compartment has a lot of dust and grime. It does not look as nice as the photos that have been posted on this forum. This is not an easy area to clean, so here's the question:

Is it OK to apply a degreaser (varsol, for examle) and then hose down the whole engine compartment with a pressure washer (at a low setting)? I know that a lot of water in the engine compartment can lead to trouble.

So, what is an effective and safe method?

Thanks.

...Rickker

'99 C4
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Check out from post 17 on.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=clean&page=2
Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Why not just take a damp rag and bucket of water and clean everthing you can see. You can pull out the air box to get at a lot of things.
I wouldn't power wash or use anthing but a bit of soap in the water.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by DFC
Thanks, Don. That was most helpful.

...Rickker
Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use a little windex and paper towels, and like Jumper said, I just clean all I can see/reach. I do it every couple months and I never see too much dust build up between wipings. You know "My big fat Greek wedding" windex cleans all... lol
Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just go to a self spray car wash and clean it? Keep the engine running and then take if for a 30 minute drive afterwards. You will not damage anything. Use the pre-soak and then soap and then rinse.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Best to avoid cleaning engine unless you need to prior to working on it....

Originally Posted by Rickker
There have been lots of pics showing very nice and clean engines. How do you do it? I have only owned a 996 since December, and my engine compartment has a lot of dust and grime. It does not look as nice as the photos that have been posted on this forum. This is not an easy area to clean, so here's the question:

Is it OK to apply a degreaser (varsol, for examle) and then hose down the whole engine compartment with a pressure washer (at a low setting)? I know that a lot of water in the engine compartment can lead to trouble.

So, what is an effective and safe method?

Thanks.

...Rickker

'99 C4

The biggest risk is water will invade electrical connections and cause gremlins with all sorts of things.

Years ago I had another car that suffered from new from oil leaks. I degreased and cleaned engine or the shop did this after every repair.

Then intake manifold failed flooding engine and compartment with hot coolant. More washing afterwards to get antifreeze off of everything.

A couple of years later, check engine light started coming on. Finally traced it to a camshaft position sensor connector that upon disconnecting and connecting again, several times, enough times to remove bit of corrosion, no more check engine light.

More recently, shortly after I washed my Boxster's engine the first and so far the only time -- after over 160,000+ miles of never washing it -- spoiler decided to act up. The spoiler cured itself and hasn't acted up gain, but I'm not taking any chances. No more washing Boxster engine unless it needs it prior to major engine work, like head removal or something equally involved.

Modern engines and engine compartments have too many vital electrical and electronic connections to subject them to any more moisture than they already get. And don't think they're 'sealed', cause they're not, not 100%.

There is a saying: Let sleeping dogs lie. It applies to a 'dirty' Boxster engine as well. Let the Boxster engine stay dirty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I've often been surprised at how clean my 996 engine stays and always assumed that it was because it was in the back.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macster
The biggest risk is water will invade electrical connections and cause gremlins with all sorts of things.

Years ago I had another car that suffered from new from oil leaks. I degreased and cleaned engine or the shop did this after every repair.

Then intake manifold failed flooding engine and compartment with hot coolant. More washing afterwards to get antifreeze off of everything.

A couple of years later, check engine light started coming on. Finally traced it to a camshaft position sensor connector that upon disconnecting and connecting again, several times, enough times to remove bit of corrosion, no more check engine light.

More recently, shortly after I washed my Boxster's engine the first and so far the only time -- after over 160,000+ miles of never washing it -- spoiler decided to act up. The spoiler cured itself and hasn't acted up gain, but I'm not taking any chances. No more washing Boxster engine unless it needs it prior to major engine work, like head removal or something equally involved.

Modern engines and engine compartments have too many vital electrical and electronic connections to subject them to any more moisture than they already get. And don't think they're 'sealed', cause they're not, not 100%.

There is a saying: Let sleeping dogs lie. It applies to a 'dirty' Boxster engine as well. Let the Boxster engine stay dirty.

Sincerely,

Macster.

There is absolutely nothing that you will damage with water in your engine compartment by spraying it. The key is to make sure the engine and componants completely dry before putting your car away which prevents any corrosion. A humid garage has a better chance of damaging something.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default You are wrong. Any washing of the engine compartment subjects ....

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
There is absolutely nothing that you will damage with water in your engine compartment by spraying it. The key is to make sure the engine and componants completely dry before putting your car away which prevents any corrosion. A humid garage has a better chance of damaging something.
electrical/electronics connections to some moisture, way above that present as humidity. (Unless high pressure directed at seals, o-rings and gaskets they're safe from water intrusion. Remember these are designed to keep usually higher pressures inside engine. Higher pressures outside engine absent countering high pressure inside engine could see seals and such compromised with high pressure water jet directed to said seals.)

I've always warmed up engine -- but not too hot -- before washing and used hot water when available and always low pressure -- sometimes just pouring buckets of hot water over engine until throughly rinsesd -- and afterwards let engine idle until warm -- warmer than I would normally allow it to get idling -- then taken car for a good long drive, in stop/go traffic best since engine and engine compartment gets hotter then steady driving on open road in order to drive whatever moisture I can out of anywhere where it shouldn't be.

But the moisture is harder to drive out once it makes its way into the connectors. It may not have any affect right away -- if only it would it would make it more clear just how serious washing a modern engine is -- but it will have an affect -- almost always long after the washing was done.

Wash the engine if you want, but don't fool yourself into thinking no water is getting where it shouldn't and don't fool yourself into thinking even a hot drive or two will see it gone with no negative effect. Even after the water is ultimately driven out, some corrosion from its temporary presence will have occurred.

(Sort of related: Friend of mine use to rebuild machine tools and would arrange to have them steam cleaned before disassembly. Supposedly steam cleaning would avoid getting water inside machine ways, bearings, etc. This was the common belief and he initially suscribed to it. However upon disassembly invariably he'd find water, sometimes lots of it, from the steam cleaning. He'd still have the machine tools steamed cleaned because the steam cleaning was worth the water that was introduced to the machine tool. That they were quickly broken down and dried and the various components properly treated to prevent corrosion during the the rest of the rebuilding process ensured the moisture from the steam cleaning had no time to do any serious harm. Also, all electrics and electrical connections are serviced to ensure clean contacts and no corrosion.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macster
electrical/electronics connections to some moisture, way above that present as humidity. (Unless high pressure directed at seals, o-rings and gaskets they're safe from water intrusion. Remember these are designed to keep usually higher pressures inside engine. Higher pressures outside engine absent countering high pressure inside engine could see seals and such compromised with high pressure water jet directed to said seals.)

I've always warmed up engine -- but not too hot -- before washing and used hot water when available and always low pressure -- sometimes just pouring buckets of hot water over engine until throughly rinsesd -- and afterwards let engine idle until warm -- warmer than I would normally allow it to get idling -- then taken car for a good long drive, in stop/go traffic best since engine and engine compartment gets hotter then steady driving on open road in order to drive whatever moisture I can out of anywhere where it shouldn't be.

But the moisture is harder to drive out once it makes its way into the connectors. It may not have any affect right away -- if only it would it would make it more clear just how serious washing a modern engine is -- but it will have an affect -- almost always long after the washing was done.

Wash the engine if you want, but don't fool yourself into thinking no water is getting where it shouldn't and don't fool yourself into thinking even a hot drive or two will see it gone with no negative effect. Even after the water is ultimately driven out, some corrosion from its temporary presence will have occurred.

(Sort of related: Friend of mine use to rebuild machine tools and would arrange to have them steam cleaned before disassembly. Supposedly steam cleaning would avoid getting water inside machine ways, bearings, etc. This was the common belief and he initially suscribed to it. However upon disassembly invariably he'd find water, sometimes lots of it, from the steam cleaning. He'd still have the machine tools steamed cleaned because the steam cleaning was worth the water that was introduced to the machine tool. That they were quickly broken down and dried and the various components properly treated to prevent corrosion during the the rest of the rebuilding process ensured the moisture from the steam cleaning had no time to do any serious harm. Also, all electrics and electrical connections are serviced to ensure clean contacts and no corrosion.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Who said anything about high pressure?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I bet mr. 1999 recommends Mobile 1 0W40 for cleaning the engine. After all it is water according to him.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

high pressure hose
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 AM
munro86
Racer

I cleaned my engine once, including underneath, and the Porsche service guy said to me(nicely)" Did you clean the engine with something?" I told him I had and he said don't because reasonable amounts of dirt and grease and gunk help to stop any oil leaks that may arise and that a bit of muck won't do any harm in and of itself anyway.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 AM
othomasjr
Racer

Hahhaaha....that's a good one. Maybe the solution to the familiar RMS leak is to just not ever clean your engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean the engine compartment..?