Sponsored by:

Looks like engine replacement needed - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:30 PM
ssit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like engine replacement needed - advice needed

Hi, yesterday when I start the car there was a loud noise from the driver side engine. I immediately stopped the car, then saw huge amount of coolant + oil leaking to the floor. I did some search on this forum and it seems that I will need an engine replacement. Then I called carlson porsche in Redwood city, service manager told me the cost of a factory rebuilt will be around $11K to $14K with 2 years warranty (which seems to be in the range of what other folks are paying).

My car is a 2000 cab. I got it for about 2 years and put on 30K miles (now at 73K miles). It has been reliable and very fun to drive.

My questions are:

1) Is it worth to fix it or should I consider taking the lost and selling it.
2) If I fix it, what is the chance that I can use it for another 3-5 years? Basically, aside from the engine, what other major components can still fail (transmission? starter?), as you can see I don't know car that well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That really sucks. I'd say your car has little value w/out an engine but I have seen some on this forum who have replaced the engine and have been very happy with the results...just not so much $ left afterwards. GL.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:39 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
That really sucks. I'd say your car has little value w/out an engine but I have seen some on this forum who have replaced the engine and have been very happy with the results...just not so much $ left afterwards. GL.
Still worth almost $20k sans running engine...check eBay.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:40 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

man oh man I am sick of reading about this happening. It is just sad that our marque does not step up and help owners who have had any number of problems with this motor.

that being said, the new motor will come with all new accessories. The transmission should be solid as long as you don't have noise or slipping in 2nd gear - that seems to the be the weak point.

The only guarantee is that the motor and will be good for 2 years (due to the warranty), but there are stories of people replacing new/rebuilt motors again, and there are owners who think their cars are cured for good. Problem is that no one knows for sure and (for me) I decided not to roll the dice again and sold the car before the motor warranty ran out. As far as I know, the new owner has had no problems.

Good luck - that sucks.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Still worth almost $20k sans running engine...check eBay.
I had no idea you could get 20K sans motor. I stand corrected.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear about your motor. Give Sunset Porsche in Oregon a call. Their prices are typically about 1/3 to 1/2 less than my local dealer. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 PM
ls911
Pro

Sad but true with this subject, very sorry to hear this.
If I would be able to get 20K for it with blown motor/73K miles, I would pull the trigger and move on to the next, if possible.
Hard pressed to find a good replacement motor w/warranty for under 10K installed.

Hope things work out for you, GL
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

If you can get the motor installed for $10K (sunset maybe??) you should be able to get about 35k for the car (cars.com). It isn't much additional money (5k) for what might be a painful process, but it depends on your situation I guess. I would probably fix my car if it happened, because I like it and would keep it (maybe with a 997 engine).
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
I had no idea you could get 20K sans motor. I stand corrected.
Originally Posted by ls911
Sad but true with this subject, very sorry to hear this.
If I would be able to get 20K for it with blown motor/73K miles, I would pull the trigger and move on to the next, if possible.
Hard pressed to find a good replacement motor w/warranty for under 10K installed.
There's none on eBay right now, but I've watched two different 996s with blown engines sell for $18k+ on eBay in the past month, just to clarify.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just flat out ridiculous porsche
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by tooloud10
There's none on eBay right now, but I've watched two different 996s with blown engines sell for $18k+ on eBay in the past month, just to clarify.
I believed what you wrote tooloud, no doubts. I just don't know of his cars overall condition, options, etc...
So, if everything would line up and the offer was made (20k) I'd bank all day.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 AM
othomasjr
Racer

This post makes me very nervous as my car is a 2000 with 60,000 miles.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 AM
ssit
Intermediate

My car was in pretty good shape. I've replaced a new top from GAHH, replaced battery, new tires and new breaks/rotors about 6 months ago, as well as a full 60K service.

I think I will just fix it in the local dealer and use it for another 2 years or so - not sure how it will work to ship the car to Oregon, or sell it on ebay.

Any advice as to what I should replace at the sametime when doing the engine job? like clutch? starter?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
man oh man I am sick of reading about this happening. It is just sad that our marque does not step up and help owners who have had any number of problems with this motor.
We have absolutely no details here. This could be anything from outright abuse to a random failure.

With no info, it is hard to blame Porsche or the owner. It would be nice to hear some details. It would be nice to see the ECU download on this motor.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssit
Hi, yesterday when I start the car there was a loud noise from the driver side engine. I immediately stopped the car, then saw huge amount of coolant + oil leaking to the floor. I did some search on this forum and it seems that I will need an engine replacement. Then I called carlson porsche in Redwood city, service manager told me the cost of a factory rebuilt will be around $11K to $14K with 2 years warranty (which seems to be in the range of what other folks are paying).

My car is a 2000 cab. I got it for about 2 years and put on 30K miles (now at 73K miles). It has been reliable and very fun to drive.

My questions are:

1) Is it worth to fix it or should I consider taking the lost and selling it.
2) If I fix it, what is the chance that I can use it for another 3-5 years? Basically, aside from the engine, what other major components can still fail (transmission? starter?), as you can see I don't know car that well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I'm looking for engine also, maybe we should be thinking of group by here.

Quick Reply: Looks like engine replacement needed - advice needed