996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Weekend Drives in the Raleigh, NC Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008 | 12:34 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Default Weekend Drives in the Raleigh, NC Area

As the weather warms up and the pear trees start to bloom, I'm thinking more and more of taking a long drive in the country. The only problem is that I don't know where to find the best roads for Porsche fun.

Does anyone have recommendations based on first-hand experience?

There are a lot of motorcyclists headed west on 64, so I must be close. I know of a number of great roads for a short hop, but I'd like something a little more adventurous.

If anyone is interested in taking the drive as a group, let me know.

Bob
Old 03-12-2008 | 02:43 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Bob, it depends on how long you want to drive. West on 64 takes you into Orange county, and there are some nice roads around there. When I had my motorcycle, I'd ride through Apex across US 1 over to that road (I'm bad with names) that takes you past the park and the power plant and go into Harnett county then sometimes jump on 42 away from F-V (it gets nice around there) and sometimes continue down into Harnett or just go back on US1 South and pick it up again by Sanford and ride 42 over toward Siler City (??). Nice roads, but unfortunately they can get congested with old folks in pick up trucks (and poseurs on loud domestic motorcycles). Ooops.

For a longer trip, head up through Kernersville toward Tobaccoville and pick up 68 (I think) and there are some awesome roads up there. Weekends will have lots of bikes and occasionally troopers. You can continue North into the outskirts of Mt. Airy and get on the BRP if you are so inclined.

Or take a nice leisurely drive through Durham and catch 86 North toward Yanceyville and head on up into Milton which is where VIR is and drive the track with the PCA or BMW CCA or some other club. Beautiful road course, one of the best in the country. But even the drive up there can be quite nice, take 86 up about 1 hour out of Raleigh and at the big elementary school on the right take the next right - nice roads that will take you up to Semora and VIR.

HTH,

Michael
Old 03-12-2008 | 07:05 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Thanks Michael. I'd like to plan a trip with other owners sometime soon. Let me know if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Weekend Drives in the Raleigh, NC Area