996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT: Honda NSX article by Gordon Murray

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 PM
wxseed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the pic is from " Fact or Fantasy" on Temple of VTEC, one can only hope ... V10 500 + hp is optional .. V6 380hp standard ..
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
So here on this forum, you are going to find the 996 owners primarily, and of course we are going to bash
Wrong. I'm a 996 owner and I do not go around bashing other cars that's not a 911 Porsche. I have things I like about my 911 and things I understand other makes/models do better. For me, the 911 is not the be all and end all, it's not my ultimate dream car (not sure if one exists in fact), and if someone comes in here specifcally calling out OT, it's all good. Let the mods do their job. No one is forcing me to click on the thread and same goes for you and your mouse.

Does that make me not passionate about the 911? Not at all. ****, look at the amount of time I spend here writing my thoughts out. I tell ya, 99.9999% of Porsche owners do not spend this much time thinking about, engaging with complete strangers online. I enjoy it. In fact, I love it. I write more here than I write anywhere else. My guards are down and I am how I post. Speedy, if we had gone forward with having a drink when you were in Seattle, I'd tell your **** that your car looks fantastic and that I'm a huge fan. Now post-GTR thread, I'd tell your same face that the word hate is too strong. Hate racism, hate domestic violence, hate injustice, but c'mon... hate a car's design? C'mon. The GTR looks unique. You can not care for it, it may not arouse you like your 911, but hate? C'mon, bud.

Now if I happen to visit the other car sites (I won't, I only care to participate in the forums where I actually can directly relate), I'd be that same guy trying to keep it real and candid. As much as I loved my E46 M3, I would tell those guys that truly there is something special about the 911 that the M3 simply cannot and will not ever try to replicate. They're two different vehicles.

Through my "controversial" positioning in my threads, I've actually had the good fortune of exchanging some PMs with some high quality individuals. For this reason alone, my OT posts have been totally worth it. Now will I go about looking to continue to post about other cars in this forum? Likely not.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:13 AM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Wrong. I'm a 996 owner and I do not go around bashing other cars that's not a 911 Porsche. I have things I like about my 911 and things I understand other makes/models do better. For me, the 911 is not the be all and end all, it's not my ultimate dream car (not sure if one exists in fact), and if someone comes in here specifcally calling out OT, it's all good. Let the mods do their job. No one is forcing me to click on the thread and same goes for you and your mouse.

Does that make me not passionate about the 911? Not at all. ****, look at the amount of time I spend here writing my thoughts out. I tell ya, 99.9999% of Porsche owners do not spend this much time thinking about, engaging with complete strangers online. I enjoy it. In fact, I love it. I write more here than I write anywhere else. My guards are down and I am how I post. Speedy, if we had gone forward with having a drink when you were in Seattle, I'd tell your **** that your car looks fantastic and that I'm a huge fan. Now post-GTR thread, I'd tell your same face that the word hate is too strong. Hate racism, hate domestic violence, hate injustice, but c'mon... hate a car's design? C'mon. The GTR looks unique. You can not care for it, it may not arouse you like your 911, but hate? C'mon, bud.

Now if I happen to visit the other car sites (I won't, I only care to participate in the forums where I actually can directly relate), I'd be that same guy trying to keep it real and candid. As much as I loved my E46 M3, I would tell those guys that truly there is something special about the 911 that the M3 simply cannot and will not ever try to replicate. They're two different vehicles.

Through my "controversial" positioning in my threads, I've actually had the good fortune of exchanging some PMs with some high quality individuals. For this reason alone, my OT posts have been totally worth it. Now will I go about looking to continue to post about other cars in this forum? Likely not.

^ Nice solid points BC

The words love and hate are frequently used loosely, not always meant with passion.
In Spanish, for example one never uses the word love to describe anything material, such as I love my p-car, since it is not possible.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered the NSX in 1995 against the 993. It came down to price. Although I thought the NSX was miles ahead in engineering and styling ( and dealer mark-up), the 993 was the better value proposition. Resales of 993 and NSX seem to validate this that the 993 was a better buy.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ls911
In Spanish, for example one never uses the word love to describe anything material, such as I love my p-car, since it is not possible.
Likewise in Mandarin. "Loving" an inanimate object in my native language sounds simply unnatural. "Liking" it is as far as it goes, semantically. That's why English is so fun -- there aren't as many rules!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:00 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

I loved my 91. The manual steering was one of the best aspects. That only lasted 1-2 years as they started the electric power steering on them.

By 2005 it was absolutely a dated, overpriced, under powered car. But I still love them.

I always explain the NSX this way: "It doesn't do any ONE thing better than other cars out there but what it DOES do is MOST things very very well." If that makes any sense.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the NSX went away from the pop-up headlights to the integrated headlights, I think that was 2002, I started to not dislike the car anymore.

I hate to say this, but I still detest the looks of the GT-R.

Now I got to go outside and cut the grass, I hate cutting the grass
Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

When the NSX went away from the pop-up headlights to the integrated headlights, I think that was 2002, I started to not dislike the car anymore.

Hey, it's OK to not like the way it looks. It's, uh, growing on me yet, but I wouldn't be ashamed to own one.

Ha! There IS an advantage to the midwest in winter.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just really like the way the suspension components look on the NSX.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Before getting my Porsche, I thought seriously about getting NSX instead.
However, I have kids and I needed those back seats, so choice was obvious..
Hopefully in the near future, I'd like to own one... or perhaps f-car!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I'd only get the non-pop headlights. The pop-ups are way too 90s. It looks pretty damn dated now.

However, the new design with an aerokit and lowering job on 19s... the NSX still looks killer to this very day and I'm sure drives great since it's pretty lightweight.

Like so:

I'd happily take that yellow one sans stickers, diff wheels, in silver/gray no regrets.

You want more power? Supercharge it by Comptech (though I understand they are not out of business).
Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 PM
pl
Drifting

who's pretty lightweight?
from http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/acu...876/specs.html
NSX Curb Weight: 3153 lbs.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/por...090/specs.html
03 C2 Curb Weight: 2959 lbs.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Cody D
Instructor

Originally Posted by pl
who's pretty lightweight?
from http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/acu...876/specs.html
NSX Curb Weight: 3153 lbs.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/por...090/specs.html
03 C2 Curb Weight: 2959 lbs.
I've weighed mine at a truck scale and it was just slightly over 2900lbs. Not super light, but it wasn't 3100lbs.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody D
I've weighed mine at a truck scale and it was just slightly over 2900lbs. Not super light, but it wasn't 3100lbs.
You must have used my wife's scale.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:18 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by riad
You must have used my wife's scale.

your killing me

Quick Reply: OT: Honda NSX article by Gordon Murray