Sponsored by:

OT: Honda NSX article by Gordon Murray

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquary
Gordon wrote a book on the design and development of the F1, titled "Driving Ambition: The Official Inside Story of the McLaren F1". If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. One of my favorites -- it's a great story about a great car (I agree -- one of the best of all time, and if I were mega-rich I'd own one). Also provides a great look at the process of designing a car from scratch -- the way it should be done, whether it's a McLaren F1 or a Honda Civic.

Gordon is on the short list of the best overall vehicle designers to have been in the business, IMO. His knowledge of overall vehicle design and the complex interaction of attributes and systems that go into them is amazing. Very very very few in the industry are even close (and I design cars for a living, so feel somewhat confident I'm on the mark here).

If he says the NSX is a great car.... it's a great car!
I'll def make a run to the local bookstore and check it out - thx for the recommendation.

I'm actually an avid reader of the UK car rags like evo and car. It is of my modest opinion that the Brits publish the best car mags and tailor the best suits (bespoke, baby).

Though I couldn't care less (ls911, that's the correct expression of it) about the little mini-editorials in the front 1/4 of evo mag, I do make a note to read up on Gordon's contribution. I like how even though he designed a mega-supercar like the F1, he still breaks it down to the fundamentals and can see brilliance in the very things the avg folk will overlook. Like the figures beyond the easily digestible hp/tq figures that Americans point to saying the NSX is way too meager in these power depts to be considered anything special which, imo, is completely myopic needling the all too common inner-moron.

That's why you'll never find me being utterly loyal to X car brand/model such as the 911. There are just too many other great achievements under the sun to huddle up around just one camp fire.

And if you'd be so kind as to share your profession here, I think that'd be fantastic; if anything, I'd love a PM from you just so I can associate you to appease my curiosity.

Best,
Ben
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by ls911
NSX is a very nice sports car but not a supercar and could care less.
I am starting to wonder when the Toyota Supra "best all around sports car" thread is coming, that one should be next in line...lol
Yea I wouldn't call the NSX a supercar either by my definition. It's just too attainable. To me, a supercar has super everything including a super-high price. No variation of the 911 is a supercar in my books.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Benjamin Choi;5185967]I'm actually an avid reader of the UK car rags like evo and car. It is of my modest opinion that the Brits publish the best car mags and tailor the best suits (bespoke, baby).QUOTE]

Why ofcourse
Old 03-06-2008, 11:30 PM
wxseed
Instructor

wait until you see the new NSX it is amazing ....
Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

I disagree that the reason it was not more popular is that people weren't ready for it. It was sold out on release and a premium was charged. People were more than willing. It was a time when Japan was reinventing car enthusiasm. The 1990 Miata was huge - and continued to be for a long time. Lexus was stealing share from MB. Interesting that the LS and MX-5 wen't on to be huge sellers for years and years. LS goes for close to $90K I think.

The reason the NSX died on the vine was because it did not have any soul. It was the vision of a super car as seen by a company that maintained QDR as its key, if not sole metric. It didn't inspire. Rationalize all you want.

I appreciate British tailoring. Hard to beat a Su Misura Zegna suit, though...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Bucket_hat_Loren
I appreciate British tailoring. Hard to beat a Su Misura Zegna suit, though...
I think the NSX has plenty of soul whatever the fuq that means.

Zegna is in the business of fabrics. It's the tailor that's the artist behind it all where the suit becomes what it shall become. I love Ozwald Boateng's style and flair and will one day take a fistful of cash (more like a duffle bag) to the Row and just load up that closet full of his goods.

Enjoy your threads in good health, bud.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

The NSX never did anything for me. Could have been great (?) but never got there, kind of like a Fiero, ha.

I know an oldtimer that has a mint white 1980 BMW M1 in his garage, about 30k miles.
Seeing his car made my heart skip a beat: gorgeous Giugiaro design, coachbuilt by Baur, only 455 ever made, just to meet homologation requirements.
Also only 6 cylinder, but at least a proper straight 6.
Maybe not "supercar" status, but definintely a super car.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

You are a funny dude - you and your NSX/GTR deserve each other :>)

Ozwald Boeteng? Yikes.

You are right about Zegna - but like great wine being made in the vineyard and not the winery...suiting is ALL about the fabrics. And his less is more style in tailoring is as much a statement as is crazy Ozwald Boeteng's brightly colored leathers.

That said - hey if you can pull it off...

Further and to your original point, the Brits make amazing fabrics too.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The NSX was a great car and a fantastic value when it was introduced. However, by the end of it's run in '05 the rest of the relevant automotive sports car world had caught up with and passed it's performance. Honda had done little to really increase it's performance (compaired to the relevant competition) and they had significantly increased it's price.

So in the end the car offered Porsche Boxster S levels of performance for significantly more money. Shame on Honda for not maintaining this car.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Bucket_hat_Loren
You are a funny dude - you and your NSX/GTR deserve each other :>)

Ozwald Boeteng? Yikes.

You are right about Zegna - but like great wine being made in the vineyard and not the winery...suiting is ALL about the fabrics. And his less is more style in tailoring is as much a statement as is crazy Ozwald Boeteng's brightly colored leathers.

That said - hey if you can pull it off...

Further and to your original point, the Brits make amazing fabrics too.
Again, you gotta realize the whole bespoke thing. You can make it what you want. You can have your classic black/gray suits if you want. You can go a bit crazy and have the bright orange liner. You can do what you wish, but under the consultation of OB - you're paying for his time and eye for style. It's custom. Get it? He started out with suits and now expanding is line to make $$$$$$$$$$$ as the bespoke market is just too niche. How many dudes even know about the Row let alone can justify dropping $5K per suit? You go to the streets and 99.999% of the dudes out there buy off the rack cuz: 1) they don't got the $; 2) don't got the sense; 3) they got 2 kids and a huge mortgage and the Merc on lease; 4) they don't know better (check #2).

Again, the ignorant conservatism is too fuqin funny here! (not picking on you here bucket, but you did pigeon hole OB's style as being crazy)

Anyways, back on topic... I'd love to try an NSX and see what the big deal is about. I haven't driven one ever. I think modified right, they still look insanely good and makes the 911 look like a VW bug.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Anyways, back on topic... I'd love to try an NSX and see what the big deal is about. I haven't driven one ever. I think modified right, they still look insanely good and makes the 911 look like a VW bug.
Ben, I agree. They look great, but when they 1st came out, they were stunning and one of the most beautiful cars my eyes had ever seen.

It really is too bad they didn't evolve for looks and performance. I mean, just think what could have been...an evolved, current technology, gorgeous $130K NSX with cutting edge beauty and upwards of 400 to 450 BHP.

They were simply produced to help the Acura name...
You feel me?

Last edited by arr0gant; 03-07-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

To me the NSX now looks dated.

I wish they would come out with a new model.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

"Anyways, back on topic... I'd love to try an NSX and see what the big deal is about. I haven't driven one ever. I think modified right, they still look insanely good and makes the 911 look like a VW bug."

after all that, you have never driven one?! delicious!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I didn't write the article, dude.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Ben, I agree. They look great, but when they 1st came out, they were stunning and one of the most beautiful cars my eyes had ever seen.

It really is too bad they didn't evolve for looks and performance. I mean, just think what could have been...an evolved, current technology, gorgeous $130K NSX with cutting edge beauty and upwards of 400 to 450 BHP.

They were simply produced to help the Acura name...
You feel me?
Hopefully the next version coming out will be sweet.

Quick Reply: OT: Honda NSX article by Gordon Murray