Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about an older 996 with a new engine?
An older 996 with a new engine + warranty should command a "premium" price
21.21%
An older 996 with a new engine + warranty is worth more, but not much more
57.58%
An older 996 with a new engine should be about the same price as one without it
15.15%
I would never consider buying a P after its engine was replaced. It may be worth less.
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Q re: New Engine and Car Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Q re: New Engine and Car Value

Has anyone sold their P after the engine was replaced?

How would the 996 community view a car with a new engine? Good deal?

I have a MY00 C2 that is having the engine replaced at 59,XXX miles. Any thoughts on how a new engine affects resale? Will this be a plus (i.e., new engine under warranty = good deal) or a minus (car needed new engine = stay away)? If it adds any value, any guestimate how much it helps?

Thanks,

-td
Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think no effect personally. I just had mine replaced 2001 996 3.4L remanufactured engine. Based on many posts about this, your car should be more attractive than a car with the old engine. Of course, some people might know about these issues and most others may not!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 PM
'Hoo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent
Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Hoo
PM sent
Got it. Thanks!

-td
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Considering the level of concern that RL shows for the RMS problem, I'd have a hard time believing that a 996 with a replaced engine WASN'T worth at least a little more. I know I willingly paid about a grand more for my '99 C4 in Dec '06 simply because the engine had been replaced within the previous 50 miles. My warranty is still good until the end of this year and I'm very happy with my decision; I'm not sure I could enjoy the car as much with the thought of a possible $12k engine replacement hanging over my head all the time.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
ls911
Pro

I believe it all depends on the history and ownership of the car itself.
I agree in the fact that the value should not be lower just due to engine replacement. If one has an original motor with warranty it just might be worth more to some than a replaced engine w/warranty. People like "original"
Some buyers, due in part of lacking knowledge, might walk away from a car just because the engine is not original.
I believe that the whole engine failure issue is bit overblown, no pun intended. How many cases are caused from a missed downshift or the like? Who knows, not many would admit to it or know what took place prior to purchase. RMS is a different story, but not a huge expense

In my case I bought a low mileage (12K) 01 with great service records, one owner and good PPI, etc. Warranty was expired but that was and is no issue or worries for me. I was even willing to pay more for it due to low miles.
Eventually all warranties come to an end and one has to still enjoy the ride, odds are way in your favor as long as one buys a good example.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Considering how mass produced these cars are, unless you have plans to collect it for Barrett Jackson 40-50 years down the road, I'd say this isn't going to negatively affect your resale value.

As mentioned, it should potentially be viewed as a plus for a potential buyer as it's a newer/fresher 'lump' than was previously there.

Now, if the car sees regular track time with an engine swap, this may deter some prospective buyers.

Quick Reply: Q re: New Engine and Car Value