Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question about remote unlocking for 996/986 series car, can the components be swapped

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008 | 08:07 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Default Question about remote unlocking for 996/986 series car, can the components be swapped

I had the idea of adding remote keyless entry to my 928 and came across 996 vintage keys for sale on Ebay. I know i can add a universal keyless entry system to the car for $50 and call it a day. But i wanted to avoid the separate fob that those kits require. I would like to have the key and remote in one such as the 996 and 986. I have found keys on Ebay and figured if i had to do machine work i would be willing to to get the 928 key plank to fit into the 996 fob. They maybe plug and play but at this point i doubt it. (Maybe someone can either confirm or deny this.)

My biggest question was about the electronics inside the car. I first asked about seeing if the transponder from the factory porsche key could be used to send a signal to an aftermarket keyless entry box. But I assume it wont which leads me to the next question.

Why not use a keyless or alarm box from a 996 and wire it up simply to deactivate the alarm and unlock the doors. The 928 also uses an electronic hatch release so if i got a 2000 and later 996 setup that had electronic hood release maybe i could also wire that into my car to pop the rear hatch.

My questions is what would this box cost, assuming its a stand alone unit? I am aware of the possibility that whatever controls this unlocking feature could be just a part of some larger altogether more complex and more expensive electronic component in which case i wouldnt bother. I am willing to goof around with the wiring and tapping into the factory alarm and the door locking if i can in fact get this to work.

The main objective is to get a keyless entry system integrated into the car and not have to have a key plus remote. Would love to use the later Porsche key/remote.

Anyone with experience in this field have any comments? Is this possible? I figured with the number of boxsters and 996's produced finding an alarm or keyless entry system wouldnt be very difficult. But getting it to work, that is my question.

Any thoughts, please contribute anything that may be of interest.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2008 | 08:17 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Does the 996-986 run on some type of new wiring system like ibus where because of the fundamental differences in wiring, adapting that unit to an older car would be impossible?

If the case of the above being true, is there any way to get the Factory Porsche key fob to work with an aftermarket unit that could control locking and unlocking of the car?
Old 03-01-2008 | 09:29 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
I had the idea of adding remote keyless entry to my 928 and came across 996 vintage keys for sale on Ebay. I know i can add a universal keyless entry system to the car for $50 and call it a day.
Hey! We're not "vintage"...we prefer "911 revolutionaries"!

Sorry, no help with the keyless entry questions...I've been drinking and you probably don't want my advice tonight anyway...
Old 03-01-2008 | 09:32 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

By vintage I meant series, happy? LOL

If your vintage, that would make my car........Damn Old!

Quick Reply: Question about remote unlocking for 996/986 series car, can the components be swapped