Sponsored by:

Thoughts about the Exige S

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts about the Exige S

So after taking a test drive in the non-supercharged version back in 2006 I've had a hard time getting it out of my mind. What really got me hooked was the shear handling ability connected with a glove like feel and a high rev limit.

Wanted to see if anyone here actually has experience with owning one and the general pros and cons.

Thanks to all
Old 02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
omnipresent
Racer

My pharmacist has one (track only). That thing makes my 951 feel portly! Then again it makes me feel portly too - very small car. Brought back memories of driving a Renault R5turbo. IMHO would never make it as a DD. (unless you're 5'5" 140#, drive where there are no larger cars, flat smooth curvy roads)
Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Just know from others experiences... fantastic track toy, but terrible daily driver.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:29 PM
UFO007
Instructor

My friend has an '06 or '07 Exige S and while I have zero track time in the car I have driven it and been a passenger on numerous occasions. I hate the car. It's cramped and uncomfortable and I'm only 5'10" & 200 lbs. It takes me a good 30 seconds to get in and out of the car and I've never, ever, had so much physical contact with another man than when there are the two of us in the car. He also has harnesses so it's a good minute or two before we can get going after getting in. The lack of power steering is a bind at slow speeds, the lack of rear visibility takes a lot of getting used to (he has a camera setup that feeds through his aftermarket headunit) and the stock tyres will kill you in the wet. The seats are nice and supportive but lack padding and anything over 30 minutes in the car leads to a sore back. It also has more rattles than a spray can.

But, it's a great looking car and a demon on the track. The power delivery is smooth and the lack of power steering is forgotten at speed. Turn-in is good, Braking is amazing considering the tiny calipers & rotors, steering feel is excellent, etc. As a track car you really couldn't want for more (well, except more power maybe). They actually don't feel very powerful from the driver's seat but my old Lancer just edged him out and he pulled a few cars on my C4. I don't think I could even live with it as a weekend car though to be honest.

Here's a pic of his back when he picked it up and it was stock:

Last edited by UFO007; 02-23-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
ls911
Pro

Well UFO, that was a nice write up. Gives one a very good idea of what it's all about, not that I've ever been interested (just on size factor alone).
Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Thanks to everyones concise input thus far...
The car would not be a dd for me but really a w-end toy and some track duty in the near future, like I had stated in my opening post the test drive didn't provide nearly enough and all driving had been on the first set of cams (pre 6k range) but it felt fantastic.

Personally for me the build quality seemed top and the rattles didn't really play a part.

Right now I'm thinking of putting the 996 on the market but still researching....
Old 02-23-2008, 03:21 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by exlondoner
Thanks to everyones concise input thus far...
The car would not be a dd for me but really a w-end toy and some track duty in the near future, like I had stated in my opening post the test drive didn't provide nearly enough and all driving had been on the first set of cams (pre 6k range) but it felt fantastic.

Personally for me the build quality seemed top and the rattles didn't really play a part.

Right now I'm thinking of putting the 996 on the market but still researching....
My only advice: see if you can take one for an extended drive and see if the seats wear on you like they do me. My friend says he has 'gotten used to it' but I never have. When I say I hate the car: I mean from a dd standpoint, I'd kill to have one as a track warrior.

[edit] If you are really serious I can put you in touch with my friend and he will talk to you for days on end about how good the car is . He never shuts up about the damn thing! He spends his times not drooling over the car, or driving it, or talking about it, perusing this site: http://elisetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157
Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by UFO007
My only advice: see if you can take one for an extended drive and see if the seats wear on you like they do me. My friend says he has 'gotten used to it' but I never have. When I say I hate the car: I mean from a dd standpoint, I'd kill to have one as a track warrior.

[edit] If you are really serious I can put you in touch with my friend and he will talk to you for days on end about how good the car is . He never shuts up about the damn thing! He spends his times not drooling over the car, or driving it, or talking about it, perusing this site: http://elisetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157
Thanks UFO! I'll check the link out.
Also how is the Evo treating you, hope your enjoying...
Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny that I should see your post just after I returned from test driving an Exige S.

It really is a go cart for grown ups. No practicality. It is a track toy, but a damned fine toy. The ride is punishing, but in my mind it is worth it as long as you keep its limited purpose in mind.

Getting in and out is a challenge, and you had better not be big nor heavy. It didn't seem that small inside to me, but then I'm 5'8" and I was driving with friend of similar smaller stature.

The engine is kind of traditional small overachieving type. Little torque down low, but lots of power if you keep the revs up. The gearbox is quite good.

This one also had a rear view camera so that you could see behind you. Backing this car up without outside assistance would be an adventure.

I am told that the local Lotus club is a great group. This dealer had about 15 new cars in its inventory and the salesman sold four cars in one week. I guess they are catching on.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love how people use extreme words like "hate", "sucks" to put down a car that's a fantastic drive in its own right.

you can't get lightweight, go-kiart with plenty of limo legroom. it's all about balance. get it?

exlon, the lotus is a great car and a fun one that's more of a sports car than the 911 will ever be.

with that said, would i "upgrade" to one from your 911... no way. yours is one of the best looking out there and you'll give up some dd niceties for the go-kart ride from the uk.

if u could buy one outright, then by all means if you like the drive go for it.

the car is just not my cup o' tea.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by DCP
Funny that I should see your post just after I returned from test driving an Exige S.

It really is a go cart for grown ups. No practicality. It is a track toy, but a damned fine toy. The ride is punishing, but in my mind it is worth it as long as you keep its limited purpose in mind.

Getting in and out is a challenge, and you had better not be big nor heavy. It didn't seem that small inside to me, but then I'm 5'8" and I was driving with friend of similar smaller stature.

The engine is kind of traditional small overachieving type. Little torque down low, but lots of power if you keep the revs up. The gearbox is quite good.

This one also had a rear view camera so that you could see behind you. Backing this car up without outside assistance would be an adventure.

I am told that the local Lotus club is a great group. This dealer had about 15 new cars in its inventory and the salesman sold four cars in one week. I guess they are catching on.
Good review, In terms of stature I'm only 5'10 and around 168lbs and when sitting inside the exige for the fairly short drive it was pretty straightforward but agreed not for everyday.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
love how people use extreme words like "hate", "sucks" to put down a car that's a fantastic drive in its own right.

you can't get lightweight, go-kiart with plenty of limo legroom. it's all about balance. get it?

exlon, the lotus is a great car and a fun one that's more of a sports car than the 911 will ever be.

with that said, would i "upgrade" to one from your 911... no way. yours is one of the best looking out there and you'll give up some dd niceties for the go-kart ride from the uk.

if u could buy one outright, then by all means if you like the drive go for it.

the car is just not my cup o' tea.
Good point BC, having had the 996 for almost two years I'm in that mind set to change it up a lil. Still going back and forth and nothings really set in my mind yet.

Everytime I walk into the garage I still find it hard not to drool over my Speed Yellow angel!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd drool right next to ya - i love your ride. seriously, i always get bored with my rides, too. heck i only kept my mint m3 for like 6 months ... but with the 911... it's tough to do that much better unless you save up some real grizzles and hop into an f-car (not just more car, but also more punani pulling power)
Old 02-23-2008, 05:31 PM
exlondoner
Racer

haha. the F car will have to wait a while for me but the pun is always available nevertheless...
Don't be surprised if you see the yellow car up for sale in the next few months or so...
Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I've driven the Exige on the track, and, if that's your thing (at any skill level), the Lotus is superb! It will reward the novice driver, the advanced driver and everyone in between.

As others have said, it would be tough to drive around town (unless you're driving to the track) and even then you'll have to pair up with a buddy to take half of your stuff...

It's definitely on my list of "desirable cars"... but then I'm a track junkie, not looking for *****.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about the Exige S