Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrat's Chad and great work Shame I do not have a car to use it on now though
Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Hey Chad,

Maybe there is a disconnect. You say the price will be comparable to the stock plastic baffle. That would be around $30-40. Yet when I spoke with Dave at J3 last week he quoted me $200 ish.

Do you know which is it?

Thanks for you efforts btw.
Originally Posted by Chads996
There would be yes...you are correct on the price. About $200.

Thanks for pointing that out.

C.
It's cheaper C.
You can buy the OEM Baffle for only $30-$40 vs. $200?? Cheaper??
Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
You can buy the OEM Baffle for only $30-$40 vs. $200?? Cheaper??
it's cheaper than the full X51 pan. You can buy the X51 baffles separetly but you still have to figure out how to attach them as it's not a direct bolt-in like the X51 pan itself.

So it's a cheaper solution than the whole X51 pan and basically just as easy to install. The baffles by themselves would still be cheaper but you have to modify the existing pan to get them installed.

Andy
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
it's cheaper than the full X51 pan. You can buy the X51 baffles separetly but you still have to figure out how to attach them as it's not a direct bolt-in like the X51 pan itself.

So it's a cheaper solution than the whole X51 pan and basically just as easy to install. The baffles by themselves would still be cheaper but you have to modify the existing pan to get them installed.

Andy

Thanks for that clarification! I was under the impression that the X51 baffle simply bolts on to the oil pan to replace the standard baffle.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what testing has been done? you guys actually r going to put this piece inside your engine?????

wow
Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
what testing has been done? you guys actually r going to put this piece inside your engine?????

wow
Not me... I'd go for the OEM part if necessary
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got 2 x51 full oil pans and baffle from Sunset for $190 a piece.

Andy...did you find a way to just buy the x51 metal baffles? I tried a bunch of ways and kept getting stock black plastic baffles and gave up and just ordered the whole thing.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Not me... I'd go for the OEM part if necessary
Yes...it is currently in my engine...working flawlessly. I will be upgrading mine to the final one you see in the thread.

And BTW - this piece is better than the factory piece and is based off from the X51 factory baffles. Just simply improved upon.

For those thinking the factory is the "all knowing" powers...really need to learn what goes into mass production. If these cars were manufactured to the "nth degree", everything would be hand made out of the most durable and robust exotic materials. As a consequence the cars would then be priced like a Veyron or more. Since this is not the case, engineers are required to cut corners where they can to make a more marketable product.

Each to their own. I simply improved upon an existing component.

Take it as you will. If you are not mechanically inclined, or do not wish to put your car on the track...then this is not for you. Simple as that...

Many thanks to all that "get it." Making stuff like this happen takes effort.

C.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
I
Andy...did you find a way to just buy the x51 metal baffles? I tried a bunch of ways and kept getting stock black plastic baffles and gave up and just ordered the whole thing.

Negative...but I'm trying one last thing before either going with this setup or an X51 pan.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Andy, My stock x51 pans are in route but would still like to know.

Chad, sorry bud, not trying to hijack your thread.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically this is X51 v2

In regards to testing...well that gets a little difficult when you would need to find people willing to test there cars engines with the stock baffle, x51 and x51 v2. Then you would need to have people looking for specific results to see what the differences are. The only way I can think of doing this without invloving peoples cars, is to build a mock-up of an engine with a clear bottom piece, put it on a stand that moves in all directions (as if it was in a car on the track), and watch the oil move around and also monitor oil pressures etc. Good luck on that.

So I agree with Chad in that if you are not a track person then this is not for you. If you are a track person, then it's either v1 or v2 of the x51, you decide.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so how do you know it's working flawlessly when there was never a flaw in the first place in chad's car?

let's say a little bolt comes loose or something just goes wrong with the part.... i don't even wanna go there. i'm no engineer, but i would assume a lot of testing/data gathering needs to happen for a part to get the greenlight in stuttgart.

this dude's got a lot of ***** or no sense to be pushing this thing to anyone but himself, imho. it's just got potential to become something very bad very fast even if there were "good" intentions behind building it.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
So I agree with Chad in that if you are not a track person then this is not for you. If you are a track person, then it's either v1 or v2 of the x51, you decide.
Yes...it is currently in my engine...working flawlessly. I will be upgrading mine to the final one you see in the thread.

And BTW - this piece is better than the factory piece and is based off from the X51 factory baffles. Just simply improved upon.

For those thinking the factory is the "all knowing" powers...really need to learn what goes into mass production. If these cars were manufactured to the "nth degree", everything would be hand made out of the most durable and robust exotic materials. As a consequence the cars would then be priced like a Veyron or more. Since this is not the case, engineers are required to cut corners where they can to make a more marketable product.

Each to their own. I simply improved upon an existing component.

Take it as you will. If you are not mechanically inclined, or do not wish to put your car on the track...then this is not for you. Simple as that...

Many thanks to all that "get it." Making stuff like this happen takes effort.

C.

I certainly don't think that Porsche engineers are "all knowing." I'm not sure why you would assume that. And nobody doesn't "get it."

I'll be putting the factory X51 pan this summer because up in the canyon runs that I do, I've pulled hard g's and have seen smoke from startup as well even in my 3.6L. It's not just being a "track guy," a wanna-be Hakkinen, or being "mechanically inclined."

Realistically speaking, has there been documented instances out there regarding oil starvation at the track and/or prevention of such simply from a baffle change? (Just trying to be the devil's advocate here).

Like Speed Demon said... for those who will end up needing an upgraded oil pan, it's either the X51 version, which includes the oil pan AND the baffles... ($200 for both) or this version, which is just the baffle ($200 baffle only).

STILL the x51 route seems cheaper. If you're pulling enough g's to warrant an upgraded oil pan than the factory x51, then maybe you'd need a dry-sump engine instead.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
calicoupe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^smoke from startup can be from anything most commonly a leak in oil separator after hard runs....

back on topic.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by calicoupe
^smoke from startup can be from anything most commonly a leak in oil separator after hard runs....

back on topic.

My car's oil separator is ok, fortunately!

Quick Reply: FINAL UPDATE: J3 Motorsports / Chads996 Custom oil baffles upgrade - PHOTOS