Sponsored by:

DIY on Bose Subwoofer Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY on Bose Subwoofer Removal

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to remove the Bose subwoofer behind the back seats to access the top of the shock mounts. I have seen a few DIY guides but none explicitly showed the proper way to remove the carpeted panel and I am afraid of breaking any clips.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. pull out the two "Bose" plastic port enclosures
2. Use a torx driver to remove one torx screw on each port
3. slide out subwoofer
4. unclip wire to the subwoofer

www.renntech.org has pics, if needed.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
1. pull out the two "Bose" plastic port enclosures
2. Use a torx driver to remove one torx screw on each port
3. slide out subwoofer
4. unclip wire to the subwoofer

www.renntech.org has pics, if needed.
Easy as pie, just as ArneeA has written. Just as a clrification, after you take out the two torx screws, the whole subwoofer back panel will need to be pulled forward.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996 MBA CFA
Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to remove the Bose subwoofer behind the back seats to access the top of the shock mounts. I have seen a few DIY guides but none explicitly showed the proper way to remove the carpeted panel and I am afraid of breaking any clips.

Thanks!
After you pull the subwoofer out, you need to pull up the carpet around the subwoofer mount brackets. Be careful on the out pieces not to tear the foam underneath. The subwoofer brackets mount to the top of the shock tower, so you will have to remove them to access the shock mounts.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 02-20-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

You guys are beyond awesome. Thanks for the fast and clear responses.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Are you putting in a rollbar?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

things to be carefull of, don't break the weak plastic tabs that hold the "bose" trim pieces on. (I did, $25 later and they are replaced).

If you can get to the subwoofer mounting bracket screws and remove the brackets BEFORE pulling the carpet and foam back, do it first. It is hard not to tear the foam when pulling it out with the bracket in place. Same goes for putting it back, get the carpet and foam in right, then put the bracket back.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
things to be carefull of, don't break the weak plastic tabs that hold the "bose" trim pieces on. (I did, $25 later and they are replaced).

If you can get to the subwoofer mounting bracket screws and remove the brackets BEFORE pulling the carpet and foam back, do it first. It is hard not to tear the foam when pulling it out with the bracket in place. Same goes for putting it back, get the carpet and foam in right, then put the bracket back.
How do you do that? I have taken mine out to swap suspensions a couple of times. You have to at least lift the center carpet/foam to get access to the screws for the mounting brackets because they are underneath the foam/carpet. For the outer carpet/foam pieces you either have to remove the brackets first or bend them (they bend very easily) to get them out.

The easiest way to get the center section up is to reach behind it by hand it the center at the back (between the seats). This section actually tucks underneath the top section that goes back to the rear window. Start from the inside and work your way out and it comes up very easily (takes only a few seconds). For the out pieces, pivot them up from the inner side. The outer side is tucked underneath the side panel. The outer sections fit fairly snugly over the top rear shocks and you can tear the foam if you try to pull them out wrong. If you do happen tear it, don't be too concerned. One you put it back together, you won't be able to see it as it will be hidden beneath the carpet.

Quick Reply: DIY on Bose Subwoofer Removal