996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is it the LWFW that stalls my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:35 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it the LWFW that stalls my engine?

Since I installed an AASCO LWFW on my MY00 C2 (e-gas), I experience that the quick drop in RPM sometimes stalls the engine. Usually when I press the clutch pedal, the engine electronic catches the dropping RPM and corrects them to approx. 750. However, especially when I come to a red traffic light and put the car in neutral from e.g. 4th gear to roll for the remaining distance, the RPM drop to 400 which (sometimes) stalls the engine (sometimes the electronic corrects it). Fortunately I always caught it in the past and just restart the engine when I see all the lights on the dash; however, I don't think that's perfectly normal.

I recently had some O2 error codes that I cleared with my OBD II reader (P1128, P1137); could a defect O2 sensor be the source of this or is it something I've to live with using a LWFW?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I had similar codes when my MAF needed to be replaced. I ignored the issue until it my car started to stall in a similar manor to yours. New MAF and all is now good.

The LWFW may just be magnifying the problem that's already there. I've never heard of it being the sole cause of a stalling issue as such.

Andy
Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I don't have that issue but I also have the GIAC so I'm not sure if that's helping me avoid your scenerio.

Originally Posted by hwk72
Since I installed an AASCO LWFW on my MY00 C2 (e-gas), I experience that the quick drop in RPM sometimes stalls the engine. Usually when I press the clutch pedal, the engine electronic catches the dropping RPM and corrects them to approx. 750. However, especially when I come to a red traffic light and put the car in neutral from e.g. 4th gear to roll for the remaining distance, the RPM drop to 400 which (sometimes) stalls the engine (sometimes the electronic corrects it). Fortunately I always caught it in the past and just restart the engine when I see all the lights on the dash; however, I don't think that's perfectly normal.

I recently had some O2 error codes that I cleared with my OBD II reader (P1128, P1137); could a defect O2 sensor be the source of this or is it something I've to live with using a LWFW?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Oh yeah, he's right. That happened to me too I just didn't think the LWFW was the culprit.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I had similar codes when my MAF needed to be replaced. I ignored the issue until it my car started to stall in a similar manor to yours. New MAF and all is now good.

The LWFW may just be magnifying the problem that's already there. I've never heard of it being the sole cause of a stalling issue as such.

Andy
Old 02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a side effect of the LWFW. the rpm drops so fast that the engine electronics can not keep up. For those who have the computer modified by a tuner can contact them and see if they can modify the program to take this into account.

i guess this is the main reason why i have not seriously considered this mod.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

As Manny says...I had my tuner compensate for the rpm drops due to the LWFW.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LWFW = light weight fly wheel?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The LWFW shouldn't cause any issues, I agree with Audion19s, the LWFW is probably magnifying another issue. My LWFW doesn't cause any issues running the stock program. This is an issue with the earlier 993 and 964 cars, in the later cars the software can easily keep up.

Todd
Old 02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try unplugging your MAF to see if the problem goes away. if it does, replace your MAF.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies! I briefly thought about the MAF but got it replaced with the latest model MAF about 15 months ago after I installed my K&N CAI - ups the K&N again?! I'll take the MAF out, clean it and see if the problem still occurs.

I've a GIAC flash since about one week* and although the problem happened once before the flash, it happened already 5 times since I got the ECU flashed so I'll also contact the dealer who installed it.

Thanks again for the quick help!

* GIAC flash: I'm unsure if I've any performance gains but I love the improved throttle response up to 3k RPM! This makes it much more fun to drive around town!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hwk, how do you like the LWFW?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

You sure do have alot of mods for someone who isn't sure about its performance.

Originally Posted by hwk72
Thanks for all the replies! I briefly thought about the MAF but got it replaced with the latest model MAF about 15 months ago after I installed my K&N CAI - ups the K&N again?! I'll take the MAF out, clean it and see if the problem still occurs.

I've a GIAC flash since about one week* and although the problem happened once before the flash, it happened already 5 times since I got the ECU flashed so I'll also contact the dealer who installed it.

Thanks again for the quick help!

* GIAC flash: I'm unsure if I've any performance gains but I love the improved throttle response up to 3k RPM! This makes it much more fun to drive around town!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
You sure do have alot of mods for someone who isn't sure about its performance.
LOL! I just didn't want to bring the discussion to the point that we argue once again about the great Porsche engineers that have squeezed out everything of the stock set-up and everyone who spends money on performance mods is a fool.

But you want to hear it? My 996 is light, strong and fast and I've at least 350hp now but never dynoed it! Hahahahahahahaha ...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray S
hwk, how do you like the LWFW?
There are pros and cons and I think it's the only "performance" mod that really let you feel the cons.

On the one side I like the quick revving engine and heel and toe is now so much easier; it's really just a blip on the throttle to rev match downshifts.

On the other side it can be quite annoying when you drive around town because as soon as you're not accelerating and the engine (I more the guess transmission oil) reaches operating temp, you hear the clatter of the gears. It's not bad when you stand but driving without pull at 3k RPM got really noisy.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Harold,

I am experiencing the same issue with my car going from highway speeds and stopping quickly without down shifting. The issue came after installing a racing throttle body when my stock unit gave out (ECU parameters had to be reprogrammed for the larger throttle body.) RPM would fall quickly and bounce at around 450RPM and struggle to stay running. For the time being, I just pop the clutch to restart if it stalls (crappy fix.)

It does not happen when traveling slower than 45MPH and I don't think I have LWFW.

Hope you find a fix for it. I am getting it looked at when I take it in for the spring tune up and will update accordingly.

Quick Reply: Is it the LWFW that stalls my engine?