996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buyers Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
flyspy
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the great info! I was thinking along the lines of looking at "off brand" dealers. Audi, BMW and Merc all get Porsches in on trade.....I cant wait. There is a 99 for sale here in Dallas. Its white with a red interior....never heard of that color combo...I am looking at it tommorrow 11200 miles since new and they are asking 35900? sounds reasonable.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this one on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...em190197402794

i think another rennlister mentioned this car last week, u may want to do a search and contact him
Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 AM
flyspy
Cruisin'

Thats the one. Im taking from your post he passed. Thanks for the info, I'll do a search and chat with him. Thanks again to all!

Drew
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by flyspy
Wow, thanks for all the great info! I was thinking along the lines of looking at "off brand" dealers. Audi, BMW and Merc all get Porsches in on trade.....I cant wait. There is a 99 for sale here in Dallas. Its white with a red interior....never heard of that color combo...I am looking at it tommorrow 11200 miles since new and they are asking 35900? sounds reasonable.
I would seriously recommend a private sale, especially if you can find a car owned by someone on a forum like this.

I bought mine on a bit of an impulse. I picked it up from a dealer, reasoning that a Porsche store isn't going to sell a car with a lot of problems, especially if they have the service history. They'd be more likely to ship it to auction or sell it off an affiliated no-name lot. I knew I would be paying a premium, but figured this was the best way to manage the risk and get my hands on a car quickly.

Well, I did pay a premium. But the car was far from problem-free. The list of little issues it had was as long as your arm (though few single items were horrible, save for the clutch and RMS). If I had it to do again, I would rather look the owner straight in the eye, especially if he had some personal reputation at stake such as a Rennlister would. Sadly, even with a Porsche, a dealer is still no guarantee that the car won't have any surprises.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 PM
flyspy
Cruisin'

I went to drive it today....very tight car. It sold to someone online while we were working out the details. I am thinking more of the rennlist idea. I am open to all options.....cash buyer. thanks again.

Drew
Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I went to drive it today....very tight car. It sold to someone online while we were working out the details. I am thinking more of the rennlist idea. I am open to all options.....cash buyer. thanks again.

Drew
Drew,

There is some irony here. My '04 C2 (Lapis Blue over Graphite Gray with Metropol Blue deviating carpet) has been for sale until yesterday. I am relocating to Dallas on about 10 days. If you want to wait 3 months, you can buy mine before I return it to the leasing company. PM me if you have any interest.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

+1 on Tim's car.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 AM
omnipresent
Racer

Drew
I took that car home last week - it is what it is...not a $36k car though. I too was torn over the color combo. Did you figure what the thing was behind the shifter - or what the wiring was coming out of dash (not for radar)? Take your time, the Dallas market with these cars is sssssslllllllllllllllooooooooooowwww...you'd be surprised what you can get if you take your time in searching. FWIW, I'm working on a deal now to buy an '03 with 43k miles for $36k Having to decide if Tiptronic is something I can live with. Good luck with your search. There's a Porsche auction in Dallas next Tues..so, you'll surely have more options then.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure to drive several examples to get a decent baseline on what the cars feel like. Private sale can be quite rewarding and I bought mine privately with aftermarket warranty. I have yet to try that warranty out. You may also want to consider a dealership CPO car. In either case you will notice warranty is involved. These cars can be (shock) expensive with repairs so having someone else potentially picking up the lions share of cost is a plus in my book.

Also, make sure to drive the 2002+ cars as well as the 1999 variants. There are several improvements to the second gen cars that may appeal to you including a bump from 3.4 to 3.6 liters with more horsepower, stiffer chasis, better cooling, and different design elements.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM
grantq
Advanced

Originally Posted by omnipresent
I took that car home last week - it is what it is...not a $36k car though.
Is it impolite to ask what you did pay for it?

Is this upcoming porsche auction open to the public or just dealers?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:07 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by grantq
Is it impolite to ask what you did pay for it?

Is this upcoming porsche auction open to the public or just dealers?
I didn't buy the car - had them at $31,750 with a "warranty"...after too much back/forth, I walked away.

The auction is for dealers
Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 AM
flyspy
Cruisin'

The shifter was horrible, very gate like. Plus the performance was horrible. I think this car needed to run awhile to get its legs back. I was think around $30000 myself. tim, I was thinking something with "low" miles ie. under 12K.

Drew
Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 AM
omnipresent
Racer

The shifter was horrible, very gate like. Plus the performance was horrible. I think this car needed to run awhile to get its legs back. I was think around $30000 myself. tim, I was thinking something with "low" miles ie. under 12K.

Drew

Drew, I noticed engaging 1st gear was really "notchy" and didn't drive another 3.4 to compare performance-wise, but it did seem a bit puny! Where are you in D/FW? I'd be happy to put you in touch with one of the many I've looked at..go for a 2002 or newer if your budget allows - you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 PM
flyspy
Cruisin'

I am in North Dallas, but can travel as needed. I think that an 02 is doable for 40k....what are your thoughts.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 PM
omnipresent
Racer

why settle for an '02 for $40k when you can get an '03 for $36-37K?

Quick Reply: Buyers Help