996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

cab owners - hardtop noises from trim?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cab owners - hardtop noises from trim?

Well, after 3 weeks my hardtop has officially started creaking so much I can’t take it anymore. I tried lubing all the contact points and seals with no luck.
I have the 10 page “noises in hardtop” tech bulletin 6102 which explains how to fix all the different types of “squeaking, creaking, grating, clicking, crackling & rattling” coming from different locations, but it’s confusing to say the least.
Since my noises are "creaks" caused by the interior trim pieces rubbing together I need to remove the roof strip clips (via spatula) and then remove all the interior trim panels & their fastening elements. Once removed, insolate all the contact points with foam rubber, felt, felt tape, or tricot tape.

Questions –

Has anyone eliminated noises from trim pieces in the hardtop without tearing it apart?
Is it difficult to remove all the interior trim?
How many hours should an indy or dealer charge to fix this?

I’d be happy to email this bulletin to anyone who wants it, or post it here if possible?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
LowStro9
Instructor

Would love to see that bulletin emailed to: fsitx at yahoo to get a read on it. I do the greatest deal of my own work and, if I may say so, fairly fluid in understanding their manuals. My BMW M Roadster had the same issues with the hardtop and I was able to work them out in an afternoon. The top on my cab is starting to sing and it was something I was going to go after this weekend.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Kolshak
Racer

On it's way -
I had an MY00 M roadster & the hardtop was fairly quite. For the past two winters my 996 hardtop was quite too, but now it's coming off until I discover the problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kolshak
I’d be happy to email this bulletin to anyone who wants it, or post it here if possible?

Thanks
Creaks I've got. Bulletin not.
Can you send, please?

I assume it's probably available to members at Renntech (I am a member)?

EDIT - Yes, I got it there. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
joesmoe
Instructor

PM sent
Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem. Per a suggestion from PCA, got a can of Wurth PTFE Dry Lubricant, sprayed along the trim above the windshield & the soft "felt" padding at the rear. Problem solved. (As I don't have good aim, did some light masking so the Cab didn't look like it just came out of a snow storm....)
Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Swilliams97
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to have the bulletin also. Mine sounds like very quick "tapping" over the passengers head like a louder version of a pencil tapping on a countertop. Driving me crazy!

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine sound like an very cold old lady with dentures!! Resolved it by never driving with the top up...or when I have to (if it rains) turn the music up....

I noticed hat the loudest rattle comes from the "clamps" on the corner of the the windshield..does anybody have a solution for this tapping noise?
Old 02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Kolshak
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
mine sound like an very cold old lady with dentures!! Resolved it by never driving with the top up...or when I have to (if it rains) turn the music up....

I noticed hat the loudest rattle comes from the "clamps" on the corner of the the windshield..does anybody have a solution for this tapping noise?
In the bulletin Porsche refers to the annoying noises as "squeaking, creaking, grating, clicking, crackling & rattling." I think the technical term for your "tapping" is "clicking" and it is covered.

RF5B - Which noise issue did wurth solve for you?
I lubed all the seals with silicone spray prior instillation and top was silent for a few weeks. Now I have a crackling sound which seems to be coming from the interior trim rubbing together. I may need to take it to the dealer to correct this.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It never seems to be perfect. One of the issues can be from the rear window deck that has a tendency to 'pop' over bumps. I fixed it by pushing little foam wedges in between the deck lid and the metal frame. The other thing I noticed was that the windows squeak a lot against the rubber seals. I'm hoping that Wurth's does the job.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw the bulletin on the top noises....almost daunting. The only times I ever heard sounds from the hard top were when I entered a driveway at an angle. At those times I heard creaking sounds. The dry PTFE spray on the rubber trim where the top contacted other trim or the body seemed to be the answer for 99% of it. The dry lube seems to last longer than other solutions.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
RemaxRalph
Intermediate

Please send that bulletin emailed to ralphmagin at yahoo. Thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kolshak
Could I please have the bulletin at jjstudio at rogers.com
I have the tapping noise, it started recently.
Thanks
John
Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Kolshak
Racer

John - file sent. Ralph - your address isn't working for me, do you have another?

If anyone translates this TSB into english please let me know.
I've lubricated my entire car with dry silicon & no help. My noises are coming from the plastic trim pieces on the hardtop.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
bonkur
Advanced

I'd really like that bulletin too, please!

Please email to bonkur at wengler dot us

thanks!

Quick Reply: cab owners - hardtop noises from trim?