omnipresent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez...confusion sets in
Old 02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry man...Both prices are good to go...buy what you want or what drives the best.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
omnipresent
Racer

After pricing supreme coverage warranty through Porsche, in addition to price, I'm now thinking '02+ models in same price range! Seems to be markedly different in history of probs.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by omnipresent
geez...confusion sets in
Here, let me add to your confusion...... or you could spend $9K more than the white '99 and get my '04 C2.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think this is the red interior. Boxster Red, Kind of a Terracotta color.
The flash on the second picture makes it look much more "Red"
My car has the full leather and 3 spoke wheel. Does the car have a red wheel too? I have seen some early boxsters that have a red steering wheel and shifter too.....that is a little much.
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

I wish I had black deviating carpet in my car though.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Oops, just saw the link. I like it with the white. very nice!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

omnipresent,

Are you planning to drive this car daily or just a weekend cruiser? The reason I ask is that if it is a daily driver, you'd be paying a premium for a car with low miles only to run up the miles and lose the value. If you plan to put any real miles on the car, I'd personally go for something that has closer to average miles. Just my $.02 and I am kind of a deal junkie.

Good luck...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The white '99 must be beautiful - the red interior is really surprising. I'd go for the '99 with the low miles, as long as you're OK with the potential RMS issue. I think it goes with the turf.

Also, I spoke to my friend/mechanic about my '99 vs. other years. He said that in his opinion, the '99 is the year to buy because there is still a mechanical connection to the throttle instead of an electronic one. Just another person's opinion - he's someone I really respect. But, I wouldn't know the difference.

Bob
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kinda like the white with brick red interior, especially with a black wheel and accents. The ad says C4, but the car says C2?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:37 AM
omnipresent
Racer

Thanks for the input...alas I've been out all day looking at even more cars!! For those who wondered about the color combo - it's in my link on page 3 of this post.
Tim, I'm hooked on a 3.6 now and your price/mileage are both great - I'm just not a blue & grey fan (though I'm in Dallas!!)
M Fig You hit the proverbial nail on the head - I had the car for about 40 miles and it is just too pristine if that makes sense. I'm going to DRIVE the car DAILY, why take the premium hit just to stab myself putting real miles on the car? I'm a deal junkie too, but reality set in just in time LOL.
rotokim it does look the ballsy - Heffner would be proud. As for your mechanic friend, maybe he's not too familiar with 996's because everyone EVERYONE has said something to the contrary regarding the '99 model year. But, I do appreciate the feedback
Andy It's a C2 - misprinted C4

Wrapping up by saying my big head won!! When I had the car inspected at Ruf, the tech recognized the car from Boardwalk - it's a creampuff! It is that nice - 12k miles could be 1,200. The dealer wanted $36k, I offered 30K..you'd think at a dealer of this caliber (FWTW) they wouldn't resort to "introducing the sales manager" routine. We traded figures for half an hour until we hit 33k. I asked about warranty and said sales mgr. pointed to his office and assured me he'd handle any problems that may arise (of course I didn't put him on the spot in more ways than 20, but hey..) Well, I insisted taking the car home Thurs. and getting it inspected Friday. During inspection I was pricing extended warranties...judging by the fact the only Porsche dealer to call back with pricing was Park Place - I really didn't have much to go on, except for what I could find via web. (I'll mention here Boardwalk seems totally inept and/or uncaring). When I returned to the selling dealer I simply asked to work the figures again to cover MECHANICAL warranty. You'd think I had donned a Kanye mask - they poo poo'd that idea...oh oh, here comes Mr. Sales Mgr...(slightly tense) demanding "If I give you the warranty is this a done deal"? I asked at what cost - reply was 33k, I asked why they didn't offer that the day before (prior to the cost of inspection)..He strongly demanded knowing if it's a deal - I said I've asked a question and would appreciate an answer....silence. I said $30K with a 3/36,000 mechanical warranty - call when you're ready to sell. Went to look at an '02 with 49k miles and without much negotiating, was at $36k - that car was equally impressive for 49k miles/one owner/records, etc...So, the search continues - I did run to storage and pick up my 951 and appreciated her a bit more on the way home!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by omnipresent
I did run to storage and pick up my 951 and appreciated her a bit more on the way home!
Right. Because no one was trying to grope you before you could drive it. Keep looking, and stay away from that dealer - although my personal experience indicates that they are all liars.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by carpundit
Right. Because no one was trying to grope you before you could drive it. Keep looking, and stay away from that dealer - although my personal experience indicates that they are all liars.
It helps to remember that the dealers don't sell Porsches because they're Porsche fanatics.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tooloud10
It helps to remember that the dealers don't sell Porsches because they're Porsche fanatics.
Right. But I meant all car dealers, not Porsche dealers alone. All they want to do is sell the car and they will say almost anything to get that done.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Well, with the 951 in the garage - I decided against a 996 and bought a new Grand Cherokee SRT8.

Quick Reply: couple questions on buying a '99 vs '01