Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking for my first P-car, any know about Prestige Motor Club in LIC,NY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking for my first P-car, any know about Prestige Motor Club in LIC,NY?

As the title said, I'm in the market for my first P-car, a 996. Currently, I'm driving an Audi A6 Avant, so I'm not a stranger to German cars, but I've always wanted a Porsche. I'll be keeping the Audi.

Does anyone happen to know anything about Prestige Motor Club in Long Island City, NY? I see that they've got quite an inventory of Porsche's and other higher-end vehicles.

Thanks to many of you, I've got a lot of information about what I need to do during my search, which I know can easily take up to 6 months.
-Get a PPI
-Check Carfax
-I've just got the book "Ultimate Buyers' Guide" by Neal and Morgan.
-So with the book and this forum, I have a good idea of what to watch out for.
-And finally take a look on this forum for people who are selling, because I know they've taken care of their cars.

My only decision now is what car to get. I like the thought of getting an '01-'04 C2, because they are certainly affordable. Now after reading the Ultimate Buyers' Guide and their description of the C4S and how the power is applied (from 5-40% to the front), I'm very tempted to seriously look at an '02-'03 C4S because I love the wide body design. The other thing about the C4S is that they pretty much have all the options that I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Eric
Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WELCOME ABOARD. this is the best 996 forum in the universe. you might want to do a search on that dealer....not the best reputation. many of their cars are not really in their stock. i went there once...many beaters there, and the peaches are priced like peaches. i know a few of us have dealt with them one way or another, so do a search and see for yourself. your best bet is to grab a car from one of us here that is selling....ehhh hemmmmm....tim??

and if you go for the C4S....you will not be disspointed!!! IMO, the best looking 996 ever produced.

j
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
uberskier
Pro

Jon,
Thanks very much for the info. Several people from the Audiworld forum referred me over to this forum. I did a search and couldn't find too much on Prestige. I had sort of expected a reply like your.

The more and more that I read about the C4S, the more and more that I want one. I agree about the looks.
Eric
Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if this is the same lot I'm thinking of, I wouldn't mess with them, would probably go to a straight up porsche dealer.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 AM
uberskier
Pro

HT,
Thanks. I had a feeling about that place.

I think that I'm going to stick with the following type of places (and not in any particular order):
-P-car dealer
-a Rennlister
-a P-car specialty place, like Weissach Autohaus in CT
-another reputable new car dealer that happens to have a P-car on their lot. (example: Toyota of Ft. Worth, TX has an '03 C4S on their lot with 52K miles for $40K and it even has NAV - opps - just checked the Carfax report and saw that owner #1 had an accident - there's the reason for the price).
-Other individual with all papers and service history.

Eric
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Eric,

Welcome to Rennlist. I can't add much to the advice you have already received. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberskier
Does anyone happen to know anything about Prestige Motor Club in Long Island City, NY? I see that they've got quite an inventory of Porsche's and other higher-end vehicles.

Eric
I bought a Boxster from them a couple of years ago. They basically buy from auction and then resell. A large part of their business is shipping cars overseas. They do offer some really good prices but you are normally going to get a car without much history. I was lucky in that they gave me enough information about where they got the car that I was able to find the original selling dealer who had also serviced the car. Plus the car at the time still had a year of original new car warranty left so I did not feel like I was risking too much. Their price was well below what anyone else was asking. In fact, I traded the car in a year later and only lost $500 in a year of driving.

They were easy to deal with and in my case were completely honest and everything went very smoothly. I would have no problems buying another car from them. Just understand the source of their cars will probably not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. You are most likely going to buy a blank page as far as history goes.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I looked at a seal gray C4 there, what others have said is correct, Auction purchased no history cars, Some of the inventory was nice but there were a few "less than nice" cars.
The 01 C4 I looked at had a few cosmetic issues for sure.
That said I found the people there to be very pleasant to deal with and they seemed very upfront about the cars and while I was in the market they kept me up to date on any cars I might have had an interest in but never in a pushy way, as a matter of fact out of all the dealers I visited they were the only ones who even followed up.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 PM
uberskier
Pro

Thanks for the comments. Since I'm in the city about once a month, I might stop by. Who knows, I may get lucky and may be able to find out some history on a nice car. I guess it can't hurt to look.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Don't expect much in the way of a showroom. The last time I was there they were working out of a garage with the cars wedged in there. Of course the lack of overhead is what keeps the prices low.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

I have a gorgeous white 2004 C4S for sale ... all service records (same dealer), no accidents, fully loaded - no accidents/bodywork + 2 year Porsche CPO warranty. PM me if interested.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Dear all,

Regarding prestige and background on their cars. What more info is there to expect from service book a PPI and carfax?? I looking into buying a car from the US in the short future.
/F
Old 04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can find one you like from a Rennlister, buy it. Piece of mind like nothing else.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Just point me in the right direction to a rennlister who has a 4s for sale...

Quick Reply: Looking for my first P-car, any know about Prestige Motor Club in LIC,NY?