Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche, Porsche, Ferrari, Ferrari and BACK!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008 | 05:51 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

the entry level f-cars depreciate very little, similar to the lowest end bmw due to social climbing, but primarily due to the long waitlists to buy at msrp, which drive up the second hand market in the near term for those cars. Far less supply than demand, and every guy who just got a little money wants one NOW

But the V12s (not the enzo but the GT cars) depreciate catastrophically. I mean really bad. The market for big, understated $300K V12 coupes which 99.9% of the public wouldn't recognize as a Ferrari is narrow, and comprised of more people who would buy new than those who would buy used, simple. There are exceptions. The glass roof cars and barchettas and superamericas and other limited run, very special ones do tend to hold very well and trade well too as ferrari collectors and serious tifosi snap these up and put them in vacuum trailers pretty quickly.

If you can get 430 spider at msrp or close you will pretty much only lose sales tax when you sell in a year or two. sell before the first major service interval and you're golden!

Originally Posted by triode
Although the 360 and today's 430 are to be admired for sure, I've never been a "Ferrari guy". Many of the '80s & '90s cars seemed to be "look at me" boy racerish, more show than go...back in the day, there were many 308s and 328s in Miami (where I then lived), and they were easy prey for my 4-banger 944 turbo.

The (now) older F-car I've always liked are the 550/575 Maranellos, with V12 power and a more refined look.

One thing that has always struck me is the "lack of depreciation" argument for F-cars...but that appears to be true primarily because so few of them are really driven (and of course limited production numbers)...often one sees things like 6 year old 360s with 5,000 miles. What's the point of having such a purportedly great "driver's car" if one is afraid to actually...drive it?
Old 01-26-2008 | 05:59 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Huskerbill
So here I am again in a familiar spot.....

About to fly out to a dealership where they will pick me up and take me to see my "new" car for the first time. I will drive it home along the Pacific Coast Highway and, no doubt, will have the time of my life!! For sure I won't sleep a wink tonight. I barely could last night just thinking about it!!!

This car will be both my daily driver AND my weekend car. Track car. Everything car!! It is a Seal Grey 6 speed. Exactly what I wanted. As a past Ferrari owner you all aren't missing anything with your Porsche's. Great handling, reliability, performace, classic looks, etc.

I am pumped to be BACK!!
sounds great ! I just did the "saw the car online flew out to the dealer drove it hundreds of miles" thing right before new years, loved it. best way to experience the car, and instead of driving it back to NY or putting on a trailer, I decided to spend the winter in LA. I'm calling it "California Delivery"!

Have fun with it!
Old 01-27-2008 | 02:09 AM
Huskerbill
Track Day

Originally Posted by htny
sounds great ! I just did the "saw the car online flew out to the dealer drove it hundreds of miles" thing right before new years, loved it. best way to experience the car, and instead of driving it back to NY or putting on a trailer, I decided to spend the winter in LA. I'm calling it "California Delivery"!

Have fun with it!

By the way, your Ferrari knowledge is pretty solid.....

Just got home. Had a blast!! Have gone out to the garage 3 times to "take another look". Looks GREAT. Drove great. That is a heck of a lot of car for the money. Not sure you can touch it at that price. Maybe a Vette?? But I am not sure that the Vette would do it for me....

GREAT car though. Well-built for sure....
Old 01-27-2008 | 04:46 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I've always loved the Ferrari GT cars, sleek long hood 2+2's, kind of a gentleman's sports car with room for more than 1 hotty.
Old 01-27-2008 | 01:08 PM
Huskerbill
Track Day

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Personally, I've always loved the Ferrari GT cars, sleek long hood 2+2's, kind of a gentleman's sports car with room for more than 1 hotty.
So true.....

I LOVE the 550 and 575. I think they look like classic Italian cars. The kind that you would see a rich 50 year old Italian guy get out of on a cobblestone street in Roma to go have a morning espresso and pastry.
Old 01-28-2008 | 11:26 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, what 996 did you wind up with?? Pictures??
Old 01-28-2008 | 11:31 AM
4-large
Racer

Ya!!!
Tim must be slipping....
Huskerbill pulled the old slight of hand thing on Tim

Cheers and welcome back
Jerry
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:33 PM
fastbydrmike
Intermediate

That black ferrari is wicked looking!!!! I love ferrari's but would still take a porsche over them.

Mike
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:59 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 4-large
Ya!!!
Tim must be slipping....
Huskerbill pulled the old slight of hand thing on Tim

Cheers and welcome back
Jerry
Nah, not slipping! Saw Bill's "guns" in the other thread, so I'm leaving this one to Wayne!

I ain't stoopid!
Old 01-29-2008 | 02:15 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Welcome back and please post some pics when you can

Quick Reply: Porsche, Porsche, Ferrari, Ferrari and BACK!!