Sponsored by:

MKII Exhaust Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
showtimelinh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AARRRGH

I went to Meineke and another indy muffler place where I live and both said they did not have the equipment to cut the hole on the muffler body. Did you guys run into this problem at all? What tool would you need to cut that hole?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
She won't ride in either the 930S or the TT....she prefers her Toyota Forerunner. Her ex involved her in a serious roll-over that hurt her badly, involved some facial reconstruction...so she's extremely nervous and paranoid about any speed, and especially mountain roads. Consequently, 55 mph in a TT doesn't seem very rewarding...at least not to me. I'm mostly solo.
Chuck, even though apparently it occured a while back, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's accident. I can see why she would be very uncomfortable about going fast.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:39 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by showtimelinh
I went to Meineke and another indy muffler place where I live and both said they did not have the equipment to cut the hole on the muffler body. Did you guys run into this problem at all? What tool would you need to cut that hole?
I would think that a lot of them would use a tourch to cut the hole. If the were to bend and fit the new pipe prior to doing any cutting they could trace the outline of the new pipe and "cut on the dotted line."

I am pretty sure that the the guy who did my muffler mod had never dont this before, because when I picked up the modded mufflers he asked me what type of car they went on.

You might wanr to PM FisterD (his first name is Darin) and ask him what he uses to cut the hole in the pipe. He has done this mod for 3 or 4 guys here.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be asking FisterD.....when he did mine, he started out with a circular hole cutter, then used a Dremel rasp to elongate the hole to make it match up with the eliptical fitting that the curved pipe needed to match. He was careful not to leave much of a lip so that you don't end up with a restriction on the inside of the pipe.

If you do a search for "Modding the 3.6L muffler for a MKII design" you'll see the entire process explained with pictures.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

You can't cut the hole with a torch, unless it is a plasma cutter.
I begin with a cutting wheel on a bench grinder, then switch to a grinding stone to oval the hole. Finishing with a die grinder with a small round double cut bur.
I think one of the keys to doing this mod properly, is making the holes to fit the tubing.
I have a new version that is more aggressive and louder than this mod. I will post a video, soon!
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FisterD
You can't cut the hole with a torch, unless it is a plasma cutter.
I begin with a cutting wheel on a bench grinder, then switch to a grinding stone to oval the hole. Finishing with a die grinder with a small round double cut bur.
I think one of the keys to doing this mod properly, is making the holes to fit the tubing.
I have a new version that is more aggressive and louder than this mod. I will post a video, soon!
Darin, can't wait to here and see that video. It would also be great to see what hte "new version" looks like on the mufflers.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

I can't wait either! I want to know more about the more aggessive option also. I need to get a set of 3.6L cans!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
showtimelinh
AutoX

Thanks guys, I found a shop that could do the mod, charged me $100. But then they wanted to charge another $160 to install them so I'm gonna do that part myself. I'll post a video once I get these suckers on.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
The installation isn't that big a deal...I think Tim posted an exploded diagram that showed the nuts and bolts you had to take out in yellow.....do a search on it, or maybe Tim will jump in here. Only three bolts if I recall....but really not a big deal.....certainly not worth $160.
CHuck, I hate to be the one to tell you this (well, that's not TOTALLY true... ) but I think your "grey matter" is failing you. I did a detailed write up in post #7 of this thread, and in a weak moment, you even complimented me on it. You must have beeen having a "senior moment" when that happened.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HUH??? Who me??? Where's the delete key? I have no idea what you're talking about....what post? Now you see it....now you don't.

Darin: I'm looking forward to the pics and sound clips of what you said was "a more aggressive and louder mod".....what did you end up doing to make it louder? Actually, the original MKII mod you did was just right for me because it didnt' drone at all and barked just right....but maybe some of the other guys wanted it louder??.

Quick Reply: MKII Exhaust Mod Help