996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

X-51 oil pan install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad It is good to hear that you will be removing all those rivets, and have it TIG-welded...This is what I was going to have done at a friends shop, those hinges are a lot better!

as for the attitude I think that if you look at your first pic of your garage mod and then look at this last pic that you posted.... what a difference in quality....I think people were trying to watch your back and you seem to attack them IMHO
Old 01-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-large
Chad It is good to hear that you will be removing all those rivets, and have it TIG-welded...This is what I was going to have done at a friends shop, those hinges are a lot better!

as for the attitude I think that if you look at your first pic of your garage mod and then look at this last pic that you posted.... what a difference in quality....I think people were trying to watch your back and you seem to attack them IMHO
Large...

This is a prototype that was completed for an event this weekend. The pan was modified as suggested by a former Joest Racing lead technician / engineer. Everything I did...including where I got the parts...were his suggestion.

To be sure that everything would be ok, I had the lead fabricator / engineer at J3 Motorsports examine the baffles to confirm that it would be ok. Confirmed to the point that they took their own measurements to fabricate their own. We will be continuing the development on Monday.

My "attack" was not an attack, but a defense. I research this stuff to the nth degree. 99% of my suggestions are based on hard facts that I have gathered over the years through research, learning from pro's and putting the pieces together. FWIW - I am a closet mechanic that has done everything from engine bottom end rebuild to full suspension and adjustment. And...I am an industrial designer of 15 years with mechanical engineering study background.

The wise man asks questions in order to learn. This is what I have done. The remarks of "homebrew DIY" was an assumption to what was done were not needed and therefore needed to be addressed. I did so.

C.

Last edited by Chads996; 01-17-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:04 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default BK Solution

Can anybody please shed some light on the difference between the Brey-Krause kit and the X51 kit?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But it is homebrew, fellas. How will this "solution" be proven to work? It's not like Chad's going to be tracking his car on slicks enough times and it's not like you can have tools/time/resources to peer into that engine block on high G turns.

And the sampling is on just ONE car.

It is completely homebrew.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Can anybody please shed some light on the difference between the Brey-Krause kit and the X51 kit?
Sure...glad to.

The BK kit includes a spacer for the OE oil pan. It simply lowers than pan. Doing so increases the oil capacity. There is another setup that is a little better that is built by Mantissport Racing. Their setup has not only a spacer, but an extension for the sump pickup.

The X51 is an OE pan that simply has a larger baffle system on it. It allows for a marginal increase in oil near the sump intake over the stock baffles.

Hope that helps.

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
But it is homebrew, fellas. How will this "solution" be proven to work? It's not like Chad's going to be tracking his car on slicks enough times and it's not like you can have tools/time/resources to peer into that engine block on high G turns.

And the sampling is on just ONE car.

It is completely homebrew.
i'll be tracking with slicks this year in NASA time trials. i have proper data acquisition (it will be sampling oil pressure at 60 Hz so we'll all be able to see if slicks are a no no with the 996. the big question is will the 996 hold up on a high banked oval. i won't be testing on any of those kinds of tracks.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Huh? Please explain
Paul,

I posted a link to the part number but Chad said it was the stock baffle, not the X-51 baffle, so I deleted (removed) the link to the stock baffle.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
i'll be tracking with slicks this year in NASA time trials. i have proper data acquisition (it will be sampling oil pressure at 60 Hz so we'll all be able to see if slicks are a no no with the 996. the big question is will the 996 hold up on a high banked oval. i won't be testing on any of those kinds of tracks.
so a high banked oval... like the one on the california speedway? i remember seeing a doug hayashi video of www.nsxfiles.com fame (great guy) running his f355 against some super exotic ferraris .... awesome vid and they were going all out in the high banked oval but for just one turn i believe at WOT.

so cool
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
so a high banked oval... like the one on the california speedway? i remember seeing a doug hayashi video of www.nsxfiles.com fame (great guy) running his f355 against some super exotic ferraris .... awesome vid and they were going all out in the high banked oval but for just one turn i believe at WOT.

so cool
no high banked ovals for me. just laguna seca, buttonwillow, sears point and thunderhill. proper road courses.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Loren
The MY02 and newer (3.6 liter engines) already have the additional oil pump and return line... and very late MY 996's likely have the 997/X51 windage tray too.
I still think the major issue was oil retained in the head after hard corning and Porsche fixed that in the 3.6 liter engines.
So would it help - probably some. If you are not running on racing tires I doubt you can get the lateral g's to cause any problems.
Loren,

You mention that late MY996 had the 997 windage tray...the OP had that tray installed in his 02 996...can you confirm that the "stock" tray pictured in the OP didn't come in all 3.6L (thinking maybe this was a reman motor in the 02?)?

Thanks! Great thread!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What about a recent reman. 3.4l?

Stefan
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
The BK kit is just a spacer to allow the pan to hold more oil. Personally, I think it's a bad idea. If you look at the pics in this thread you can see that Porsche went to great lengths to manufacture a system that would position the oil pickup right at the base of the pan. With the BK kit you will thow all of that work out the window by moving the base of the pan away from the pickup.

The above is my "opinion". I am not an automotive engineer.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chad,

Can you post a picture of the O.E. tray/baffles from your 3.4?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ray S
Chad,

Can you post a picture of the O.E. tray/baffles from your 3.4?
Sorry Ray...they are gone. I'll see if the shop has them on Monday.

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

As far as I can tell via dealers and Loren... the new stock baffle with a 997 part # is the same as the x51 baffle pictured. And you can order just the baffle itself at a considerable savings.

I can't say which engines have the new x51 baffles as stock other than the 997s. But what I can say is if you order a new baffle for your 3.4/3.6 996 you will receive the new x51/997 baffle.

I have 3 of these inbound to me for me and 2 friends.

-Paul

Originally Posted by gota911
Paul,

I posted a link to the part number but Chad said it was the stock baffle, not the X-51 baffle, so I deleted (removed) the link to the stock baffle.

Quick Reply: X-51 oil pan install