Sponsored by:

X-51 oil pan install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 AM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wxseed

This was easy, you will find a couple of spots on the pan that over hangs the block and you can pry and push...pop its off....I used the sealant from suncoast I think increasing the oil volume is a good thing but in that kit u loose the sealing factor that the x-51 gives IMO
Note THEY ARE SMALL BOALTS PUT THEM IN 7-10 lbs max

The Tracks that I will see in this car do not have long turns like Daytona, and this Kit will help on slowing the oil from moving out (left or right)

As for the aluminum kit that chad did, I think long term will last better ( as long as it wont fall apart or get gummed up and not move) but with that said I saw that 50k miles and the original rubber looked fine, and I do not run at the level that chad will be pushing his car, so will see what the rubber looks like after a season.....I like the rubber do to the fact I think they did this kit as a sealing upgrade over my stock one (not as a volume one), so if you do chads kit fill in the 8 holes, more so if you run turns like Daytona IMHO
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
I have been researching this for a bit now. Maybe it isn't worth $250. But it is worth $30. For $250 you are simply getting the x51 baffles already bolted onto a brand new shiny oil pan that is identical to the one you already own... $170 down the drain.

Porsche has updated the baffles aka windage tray. The 997 cars came with the x51 baffles as standard. The blanket replacement windage tray (for 3.4 and 3.6 liter engines including X51) is the now same part number as used on the 997.

Part # 997.107.243.00

$30 from most of the discount places.
So this is a simple part I can pick up at the dealer and have them replace?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO
The X51 oil pan baffle will likely help a little but the real improvement in the X51 is for oil return from the cylinder bank 4 - 6. The X51 kit modifies that cylinder head and adds a return line and additional suction pump. Under hard cornering oil was remaining in the head for too long and not returning to the oil scavenge pumps. The X51 return line and pump alleviates that problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
IMHO
The X51 oil pan baffle will likely help a little but the real improvement in the X51 is for oil return from the cylinder bank 4 - 6. The X51 kit modifies that cylinder head and adds a return line and additional suction pump. Under hard cornering oil was remaining in the head for too long and not returning to the oil scavenge pumps. The X51 return line and pump alleviates that problem.
Amen.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...64#post4975664

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
4-large
Racer

Loren
Do you recommend this for the 02 and newer as well, the extra line...I was going to install and was told that 02 newer heads were better for draining than the earlier???

Jerry
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

jeezuz chad. what put a burr under your saddle.
i didn't follow your thread regarding your mod. maybe you've already mentioned that you've done dynamic fluid testing just to see if oil escapes your metal door. you might find out that you need a rubber liner behind the door so that there is a positive seal.

just because J3 approves the theory behind the design DOES NOT mean that YOU have executed it properly. just a suggestion.

Originally Posted by Chads996
Jeezus guys..like I said already in my mod thread. All of what I have done has been approved by race technicians. So much so, that my modification is being copied for fabrication by J3 Motorsports in Buford, GA.

It has been checked, measured and confirmed 2x. The issue is over and is installed in my car.

Do what you feel like in your own. Track use puts a higher amount of heat, strain and pressure on your car. My philosphy is VERY simple. A properly setup car is ALWAYS the way to go. I always ask questions to those that have the experience to answer properly. Not just a guess.

Do what you will. I will continue in the process I have begun. Next up for me? 3rd radiator with nose slots cut out on the front fascia.

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, spot on for the 3.4 engines.

Originally Posted by Loren
IMHO
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4-large
Loren
Do you recommend this for the 02 and newer as well, the extra line...I was going to install and was told that 02 newer heads were better for draining than the earlier???

Jerry
ya, i'd like to hear the explanation for this too. since the 3.6L heads have been "upgraded" then why was the oiling kit needed for the the 3.6L? seems like the oiling kit should be a 3.4L specific mod. too bad it's not longer being produced/sold by porsche.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

karlooz...you sure make a lot of assumptions. Let's look at where my "idea" came from shall we?

Oh wait...hmm...this perhaps?

Wait...maybe this?

Noooo....how about this one?

or maybe a better knowledge base? Here: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=95899&page=1

My information is based upon BMW E36, E46 chassis racing. I adapted this information and knowledge of keeping oil near the pickup from there. This is NOT a new concept people. Our V8 drag racing and road racing friends have been doing this FOR YEARS. The information and knowledge is out there. You just need to find it. And... the information passed to me from techs who have run ALMS, Le Mans, Enduro, Daytona, blah, blah blah....

You guys do what you want. I am tired of the second guessing after a month or more of research into what I can do to help and make my car better.

The sky is blue...say what you want. I give up.

Happy motoring...

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

ahem... let me be clear. i never said that this was a dumb idea nor am i attacking you but your responses seem to suggest otherwise. all i suggested was some testing might be in order because it's a homebrew DIY. i am just suggesting to test YOUR execution of this design. OK? we cool.

karlooz...you sure make a lot of assumptions. Let's look at where my "idea" came from shall we?
etter.

The sky is blue...say what you want. I give up.

Happy motoring...

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by karlooz
ahem... let me be clear. i never said that this was a dumb idea nor am i attacking you but your responses seem to suggest otherwise. all i suggested was some testing might be in order because it's a homebrew DIY. i am just suggesting to test YOUR execution of this design. OK? we cool.
Sure....but you're still making assumptions.

In fact, just got off the phone (literally 2 min ago) and spoke to the lead fabricator /engineer at J3. We are moving forward with the fabrication of the baffles. The entire setup is already in AutoCAD and we are going to replace mine with the 1st welded prototype.

Looks like they are preparing to sell these. Just the baffles. Not pan...you can re-use the one you have. The next step in the development is TIG-welded door tabs and brass hinge pins similar to the above.

Stay tuned...I'll have more info Monday when we meet to discuss the fabrication details.

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

oh ya, forgot to mention.... if you have an early 3.4L it would be worth it to upgrade to the new oil pan. my old pan had the mounting bolts exposed and the new one has the bolts countersunk in. just a little more protection.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

you missed my original meaning again. now i give up. see ya

Sure....but you're still making assumptions.

In fact, just got off the phone (literally 2 min ago) and spoke to the lead fabricator /engineer at J3. We are moving forward with the fabrication of the baffles. The entire setup is already in AutoCAD and we are going to replace mine with the 1st welded prototype.

Looks like they are preparing to sell these. Just the baffles. Not pan...you can re-use the one you have. The next step in the development is TIG-welded door tabs and brass hinge pins similar to the above.

Stay tuned...I'll have more info Monday when we meet to discuss the fabrication details.

C.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think chad's got good intentions and it's great that he's sharing with the rennlist brethren.

however, i think he's a wee bit sensitive (i.e. taking it personally) when people cast any sort of doubt that his project with all his serious porsche engineers is a necessary/good thing.

it's not proven. it is home brew. he's teling us of all these engineers he's got on the line with mad porsche motorsport experience... BS. they're just indy mechanics who happen tow ork on porsches and might do a bit of racing on the side.

unless you got a line to stuttgart, let's call it what it is. it's a side project by a hobby racer who is doing stuff to his engine to address an invisible issue. even if it works, how the heck is he going to prove it's working since again there is no problem to resolve in the first place?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-large
Loren

Jerry
The MY02 and newer (3.6 liter engines) already have the additional oil pump and return line... and very late MY 996's likely have the 997/X51 windage tray too.
I still think the major issue was oil retained in the head after hard corning and Porsche fixed that in the 3.6 liter engines.
So would it help - probably some. If you are not running on racing tires I doubt you can get the lateral g's to cause any problems.

Quick Reply: X-51 oil pan install