Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Quick Rant: Whats wrong with the Porsche Designers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One area where I question the Porsche designers is with trying to make the Cayenne and Panamera look like a 911. It doesn't work. The 911 design works for the 911 obviously, and tweaking that for the Cayman and Boxster works very well IMO. They have their own style that is similar, but unique. They are also cars with sporting heritage which makes making them look like 911 spawn work. However, the Cayenne and Panamera are something totally different. Making them look like a Porsche did not necessarily mean they needed to look like a bigger form or interpretation of the 911. That simply does not work IMO. I think those two should have been molded in their own right and perhaps they were, but to me the Carrera GT worked so well because it wasn't a 911 made into a super car. It was something they started with a blank canvas. Perhaps they did that with the Cayenne and Panamera, but it doesn't appear that way to me. It appears more like they tried to make them look too much like the 911.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree that the photo above looks like a Pontiac. If Porsche designers start making junk like that, then it's time to sell.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
One area where I question the Porsche designers is with trying to make the Cayenne and Panamera look like a 911. It doesn't work. The 911 design works for the 911 obviously, and tweaking that for the Cayman and Boxster works very well IMO. They have their own style that is similar, but unique. They are also cars with sporting heritage which makes making them look like 911 spawn work. However, the Cayenne and Panamera are something totally different. Making them look like a Porsche did not necessarily mean they needed to look like a bigger form or interpretation of the 911. That simply does not work IMO. I think those two should have been molded in their own right and perhaps they were, but to me the Carrera GT worked so well because it wasn't a 911 made into a super car. It was something they started with a blank canvas. Perhaps they did that with the Cayenne and Panamera, but it doesn't appear that way to me. It appears more like they tried to make them look too much like the 911.
i agree on the spirit of the points u make but not seeing the same visuals as you are comparing the cayenne to the 911. i just don't see it. the cayenne is **** ugly. the pan ain't even out yet.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i agree on the spirit of the points u make but not seeing the same visuals as you are comparing the cayenne to the 911. i just don't see it. the cayenne is **** ugly. the pan ain't even out yet.
I'm sorry Ben but I have to question why you actually own a Porsche since you do not like any design of there's (except the CGT, which if anyone hates has a serious issue with there eyes and ears).

You seem to challenge every thread asking for more pics or stating that you would not do what the person did.

You obviously did not buy a Porsche for it's racing heritage and will no doubt not take your Porsche on a track, since you do not know any difference between what works on the track and what is only for looks (i.e. CCW wheels are great for the track but may not be aesthetically appealing for the street compared to other wheels).

I have gone along with you on some items, but amazed to see your responses in a lot of other areas. I know this is not new to a lot of people on here, but I have one big question:

What do you have to offer this forum

I think the only thing you do have to offer this forum is entertaiment and that is why knowone takes you seriously.

Yes this is probably a surprise to you to hear this from me Ben, but I speak the truth. I appreciate your feedback on the things I have done to my car, and you have had a little to do with that, but not much. But I own a Porsche that will change over time and will be tracked, basically what the car is designed for. Sure it looks good, but aesthetics do not make the car faster around a track. Yes it is nice to tell people I own a Porsche, but to tell them that I track it and how great a car it is to drive on the track and still drive it on the street is even better.

Bottom-line is that the Porsche 911 is not going to become a supercar like Lambo's, Ferrari's and one-of designs that are out there, the CGT fills that void. The next generation of 911 is probably going to be slightly different than the 997. Keep in mind that the design is perfect for a car that is track worthy and as a Daily Driver where other cars mentioned are not.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I'm sorry Ben but I have to question why you actually own a Porsche since you do not like any design of there's (except the CGT, which if anyone hates has a serious issue with there eyes and ears).

You seem to challenge every thread asking for more pics or stating that you would not do what the person did.

You obviously did not buy a Porsche for it's racing heritage and will no doubt not take your Porsche on a track, since you do not know any difference between what works on the track and what is only for looks (i.e. CCW wheels are great for the track but may not be aesthetically appealing for the street compared to other wheels).

I have gone along with you on some items, but amazed to see your responses in a lot of other areas. I know this is not new to a lot of people on here, but I have one big question:

Calling Ben to the principal's office! Ooh, you're in trouble now! They must-a be gonna kick you out because you don't bring anything to the table!

Dismissing everyone that doesn't offer anything to the forum but their unique personality and $18 a year wouldn't make for a very enjoyable place, I'm afraid. <snaps ruler on desk> Maybe there should be a ban on all gratuitous comments and you can only post one line at a time, well-researched with citations, and if the others don't deem it worthy, out you go!

<shakes head>
Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Calling Ben to the principal's office! Ooh, you're in trouble now! They must-a be gonna kick you out because you don't bring anything to the table!

Dismissing everyone that doesn't offer anything to the forum but their unique personality and $18 a year wouldn't make for a very enjoyable place, I'm afraid. <snaps ruler on desk> Maybe there should be a ban on all gratuitous comments and you can only post one line at a time, well-researched with citations, and if the others don't deem it worthy, out you go!

<shakes head>
Just had to speak my mind and like I said, it is good entertainment and yes this forum needs that, so I don't want Ben to go away, but I would like more input that is Porsche Positive.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not trying to say that the car pictured is the perfect sedan, but the renderings I've seen of the Panamerica look fugly. I agree with blk on blk 100%...they seem to be trying to make the cayenne and panamerica look like the 911...or resemble a 911. I just think they are trying to incorporate styling cues that don't work.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

At the end of the day, people will buy the car just because of the badge. I love the quattroporte (sp?) because it is the sexier looking 4 door between the two in that price range.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:12 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chsu74
At the end of the day, people will buy the car just because of the badge. I love the quattroporte (sp?) because it is the sexier looking 4 door between the two in that price range.
+1
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Although I appreciate aggressive designs, it seems that many conservative designs look better longer. My guess is that having a consistent design over time helps maintain prices of Porsches, BMW's, etc. They're recognizable regardless of the year. They look different, but not dated.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon

I think the only thing you do have to offer this forum is entertaiment and that is why knowone takes you seriously.

Yes this is probably a surprise to you to hear this from me Ben, but I speak the truth. I appreciate your feedback on the things I have done to my car, and you have had a little to do with that, but not much. But I own a Porsche that will change over time and will be tracked, basically what the car is designed for. Sure it looks good, but aesthetics do not make the car faster around a track. Yes it is nice to tell people I own a Porsche, but to tell them that I track it and how great a car it is to drive on the track and still drive it on the street is even better.

Bottom-line is that the Porsche 911 is not going to become a supercar like Lambo's, Ferrari's and one-of designs that are out there, the CGT fills that void. The next generation of 911 is probably going to be slightly different than the 997. Keep in mind that the design is perfect for a car that is track worthy and as a Daily Driver where other cars mentioned are not.
Ouch, that's a touch harsh (no flame, just my opinion). I certainly don't agree with all of Ben's opinions, but he's got a right to state them.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
They look different, but not dated.
Bingo! That's what makes a 911 a 911 - Porsche 911 designs do not look dated and that's their appeal.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray,
You think that Speeds statements were any harsher than what others have received from Ben?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsches are UGLY!! But I like Ugly..makes me look much better!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 PM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you like the right color ugly and done in triple

Quick Reply: Quick Rant: Whats wrong with the Porsche Designers?