996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cary/Apex PCA members or Any Porsche Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dell - I'm guessing that no one will want to come out in this weather, so we can give it a shot next weekend. Desidon will be back next weekend too. I'm still going to show up at the Bean & Bagel, just in case anyone does show - I feel responsible. Also, I want to stretch the 996's legs a little since it's been in the garage all week. It isn't raining now (8:10); just wet pavement.

Thanks for the compliment, Randy. I've had some great drives in Pittsboro - I have family out your way. Ditto regarding your 996.

Chuck, I come to Myrtle frequently and would like to meet your group some time. I'd also meet you guys half way - let me know when.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Let's definitely do next Saturday.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Hey, Randy - I'll try to get to Blinkos next time you guys get together. It's close to my office, but I have a difficult time getting to functions during the week due to work/family.

I'm at the Bean & Bagel and it's raining pretty hard now. Just an excuse to clean and wax the 996 when I get home. I'll hope for better weather next week.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry I missed you, figured nobody would come (from Rennlist anyway, -ha) in the rain. I'll be at Laguna Seca next Saturday, so maybe next time you're meeting in Cary, we'll meet...
Ahmet
Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Hey, everyone. I was just reminded by my lovely wife that we're taking the family to Naples next week. I won't be back until next Sunday. I'll see anyone who's interested Saturdays after next. See you then.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:49 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry I missed you guys too. I had a later than expected night Friday and slept in until 8:30 - plus with the forecasted weather, I figured it would be cancelled. Please update the thread or PM me or something otherwise I'll assume that it will be 8:30 next Saturday at the same place, weather permitting.

Michael
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first opportunity I have had to read through this entire thread. Please let me address some of the thoughts and concerns that have been brought up.
1) The Brier Creek venue was initially chosen because it had the space we needed at the time, and
was convenient to I-540 and thus to members coming from various directions. As has been stated,
this has become a victim of it's own success, and we are definately outgrowing the space. If anyone
has a suggestion for a location that can handle 25 people or more, with good parking, I am open to
suggestions.
2) I am sorry that some have felt out of place by not knowing anyone at the Saturday morning coffees.
We were all first-timers at a PCA event at one point. Yes, group is large, and yes we all seem to be
friends, but a number of those friends were first exposed to the club at this "event". We all try to
make everyone feel welcome. Just come over, introduce yourself, and before long, you will be
joining in the various conversations with the rest of us, and be one of the "large group of friends".
3) These Saturday morning get-togethers are strictly a social event, though we do occationally use
them as a springboard for a BBQ run or to head to a Tech Session. Thus, people wander in at
various times and leave as their schedule requires. We do use them to keep everyone up to date
on upcoming activities and collect registration forms for events, on occation.
4) As I posted earlier, for those members near the coast, we do have a fairly active group in
Wilmington. I am always trying to get members in any part of the Region to offer to head up an
activity. The club will support them. Just try to avoid dates that already have an event scheduled
for the Region to maximize participation.
5) Finally, if any of you have a problem with Hurricane Region and the activities we hold, PLEASE let
me know. We are here for the members, and would not exist without them. I can be contacted via
this website of through the Hurricane Region, PCA website. Thanks to those of you who have
bothered to read this far, and sorry for the "local" content for the other Rennlist members.

Jerry Magolan
President, Hurricane Region, PCA
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Hey, Michael - I'm not going to be there, but there's nothing stopping anyone from meeting there or anywhere else in the area. If anyone does get together in Cary/Apex, post it to the list, and I'll be sure to come the following Saturday.

Bob
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Good morning, Tom - Any word on whether the Saturday morning KoffeeKlatch would consider the new Starbucks on highway 55, just south of 54 in RTP? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What was wrong with Bean & Bagel? I like the idea of supporting a locally owned store rather than some nameless, faceless conglomerate!

Michael
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

here, here!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 AM
desidon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are we meeting this saturday?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

No change to the Bean & Bagel - I met the new owners last week and they're awesome. I was just curious about the PCA social possibly changing locations.

I'm in Naples on vacation with the family until Sunday. But, I'm sure the Bean & Bagel folks would love the new customers - I've already told them to expect a few of us on a Saturday in the future. I wish I could be there this weekend. I've done so much polishing on the Carrera that I'm dying to show it to some people who would appreciate it.

As an aside, I'm amazed at the cars in Naples. Last night, I saw a yellow Diablo, 3 Aston Martin DBs and a yellow Ferrari 360 Spider. Drool actually seeped from my mouth.

I hope you guys are up for next Saturday, and I hope the weather cooperates. If anyone meets at the Bean & Bagel this weekend, let me know how it goes.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:20 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi All!

As Tom has mentioned it may be time to reconsider the Briar Creek location. It was sort of a compromise for the folks that live in North Raleigh back in the days when our monthly dinner meeting was in Cary. Also it began as a very informal gathering of 928 guys that sort of snowballed the past few years. A good issue that I will raise with the Hurricane Region board.

I live in Apex and make the drive to Briar Creek most Saturday mornings. I agree it is a bit of a distance. But have you all considered that one route puts you on the newly opened section of I540 early on a Saturday morning?

As for parking, sure it is a bit tight in front ( I did get a good spot this morning around 8:15). But there is a large, and largely empty lot out the back door. Easy for overflow. I know a bunch of participants who just use that and don't try to wrestle with the competition out front with the nearby Bruegers.

As for the coffee crowd - I have been around several PCA regions and have to say this is the most friendly and welcoming group I have encountered. Just introduce yourself and that will begin a long and profitable relationship with a great bunch of people. If you have not gotten out to an event yet the Koffee Klatch is a great ice-breaker.

How about this for an interim idea: Lets meet at 7:30 or so at the Bean and Bagel and then drive up to Briar Creek in a group? Say next Saturday morning (2/2)?

Ralph Moore
Hurricane Region Secretary (like that means anything!)
Old 01-26-2008, 03:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ralph, the purpose of setting one up in Cary/Apex wasn't so much for the drive (even though closer is better) but rather for the SPACE both inside and out. The suggestions put forth address that need for LOTS of space which is lacking at the current locale. Not only is it a social gathering but also a time we get to check out each others cars, etc and do so in one large parking location. Once again, not possible in the current locale.

Quick Reply: Cary/Apex PCA members or Any Porsche Owners