Sponsored by:

Not firing on all 6 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Opening up the hood is always the sure fix for these things.

Most likely, the problem is behind you.
Priceless
Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by apterr
Not sure what a CEL is but if it is an engine warning display, it did flash on during the miss-firing episode. It did not come back after I re-started the car. Thank your for your reply.
I would get it to the dealer honestly. When i had the repeated misfire on my #4 cylinder along with blinking check engine light I ended up with a new engine in my 996. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Blk,
My mechanic is a relative so I will start with him.
Andy T
Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Priceless
Damn, good for you. That's hilarious. I didn't even catch it the first time. This could be PAG's new slogan:

"Buy a Porsche and all your problems will be behind you."

Funny...
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I didn't even catch it the first time.
Me neither unitl you caught it.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
apterr
Racer

Default very good....

I don't care who you are that there's funny!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like everyone else suggested, get the codes read, it will tell you more or less where the problem is.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Whizbyu
AutoX

My '99 996 w/ 67,000 miles had issues very similar to yours. Whenever I turned off the motor and restarted it (groceries, gas station, post office, overnight at home), it would idle like an aircooled VW . Blip the gas pedal and it clears up. 4 days ago, check engine light came on. Tested at my local mechanic and cyclinder 3 had an issue. Coils bad. Ordered the part set the appointment date, and a day later, steamed up, overheated, DEAD!!!!!!!!!! Catastrophic failure. Now I'm deciding on whether to put a new 3.4, a used 3.4, (or does a 3.6 fit in there?). As it turns out, in retrospect, maybe the head gasket was going bad. Either way, it was just a matter of time.
Car has had no issues. Had several DE events at CMP, one at VIR. Darn, I wasn't even ******* it when it died on me.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Whizbyu
My '99 996 w/ 67,000 miles had issues very similar to yours. Whenever I turned off the motor and restarted it (groceries, gas station, post office, overnight at home), it would idle like an aircooled VW . Blip the gas pedal and it clears up. 4 days ago, check engine light came on. Tested at my local mechanic and cyclinder 3 had an issue. Coils bad. Ordered the part set the appointment date, and a day later, steamed up, overheated, DEAD!!!!!!!!!! Catastrophic failure. Now I'm deciding on whether to put a new 3.4, a used 3.4, (or does a 3.6 fit in there?). As it turns out, in retrospect, maybe the head gasket was going bad. Either way, it was just a matter of time.
Car has had no issues. Had several DE events at CMP, one at VIR. Darn, I wasn't even ******* it when it died on me.
Sorry to hear about your loss! That sucks.

A 3.6L engine will fit, but there are other things that need to be changed/adjusted. Paul 996 recently replaced his 3.4 with a 3.6. Here is a link to his thread which will give you some info.

Replaced 3.4 engine with a 3.6 engine
Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 AM
apterr
Racer

Whizbyu,
Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope the rebuild/replace works out for you. Please keep me/us posted.
Best wishes,
Andy T
Tim, saw your same advice on a different thread. After 8,000 you just issue standard replies?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by apterr
Whizbyu,
Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope the rebuild/replace works out for you. Please keep me/us posted.
Best wishes,
Andy T
Tim, saw your same advice on a different thread. After 8,000 you just issue standard replies?
Well, I answered his question here first, and then I noticed he had started his own thread asking the same question. I wasn't sure if he would come back to this thread and see the link, so I figured since his question was repeated, I could repeat the answer.

Once I hit 9,000 posts, all of my posts will be one of the following 4 replies:

1) WTF? Where are the !@#$%^&* pics!
2) DAFS!!
3) RTFM!!
4)

I think that should cover 99.87% of all topics and I'll just ignore the remaining 0.13% of the topics!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:24 PM
apterr
Racer

You are blessed with a keen sense of humor. Keep 'em coming.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:53 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So what did your mechanic say??
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This same discussion has been going on over on the 996TT forum....unexplained electrical gremlins that cause random misfires. You turn off the ignition, turn it back on, the CEL is gone and so is the problem.

Several guys have had this problem (me too). I finally sent it in to the dealership and they replaced the MAF under the CPO warranty. You can also go to AutoZone and borrow their reader....just take it outside and plug it into your car, read the codes, then give it back to them. The turbo guys are more prone to do the start/stop/start routine without worrying about catastrophic failures like some of the My99-00 3.4 litre guys.....There are a number of recurring issues that have surfaced for the 3.4 litre including the intermix issue, intermediate shaft, and pourous cylinders that seem to hit without warning and are not related to hard driving or abuse.... so ignoring the flashing CEL light like some of the TT guys have been doing might be ill advised.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whizbyu
Ouch! After the coil went bad, about how many miles did you drive before the engine blew up?

Quick Reply: Not firing on all 6 cylinders?