Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What should I pay for a 99 C2 with a blown engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riad
Crap! Where's my disc changer?
Originally Posted by BruceP
I would have sworn my spare tire was there last night...
Anyone seen my tool kit?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shouldn't he pay full price since these all just end up with a blown engine anyway?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Nat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts
Default If car in otherwise good shape, then get quote from nearby Porsche dealer for ...

Originally Posted by s-spiff
I've seen them come up every once in awhile. Factoring the cost of a rebuilt drop-in along with labour and hassle factor, what's a price that makes it attractive to do?
the cost of factory sourced replacement engine (assume if there is a core charge you'll have to pay it because the existing engine will not satisfy the core charge) installed by this dealer and then subtract this amount from what the car would sell for normally.

Minus something for your troubles.

IOWs, even if rest of car in pristine condition, and a dealer installed engine sourced from the factory would be all that is necessary to get this car back on the road and trouble free for many many thousands of miles, I'd not pay any premium for the car.

And I'd in fact 'charge' the current owner for my time/troubles to go through getting car back on road with new engine. (What will for instance getting the car to the dealership for a new engine cost in flatbedding charges?)

And you have to be careful. With engine blown you can't start engine and test rest of car's engine subsystems, drivetrain, brakes, A/C, heater, and so on.

What you need to guard against, receive something to mitigate the risk of this car not only having a blown engine but perhaps a tranny that's on its way out, is to get the car for a price that say if after you got a new engine installed you shortly learn thereafter the transmission's shot, or the clutch needs replacement, etc., this would not be a big deal and because you factored something else into your offer, or reduction of your offer, you still have a car that is costing your a reasonable price, comparable if you had found an identical car in need of no work, servicing, repair, etc.

The risk, in my opinion, should be borne by the seller, or if he's unwilling to meet your price then by some other buyer who's not as savvy.

And if car has suffered any body/paint damage and repair, I'd just walk away.

Now if you're really sharp about being able to evaluate a car, you can factor that in to your offer/adjustment relying upon your skills to know nothing else serious is lurking in the car, hidden so to speak by the fact the engine's not running and the car can't be thoroughly checked out before hand.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

10-12K.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mfletch
IAs I have found, cars with a story are difficult to resell. I would only tackle a project car, with a blown engine, if the price was around $10-12,000. and you plan on keeping it for a long time.
I agree Mfletch, most cars I own I let "NATURE" take 'em back.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C2 Engine Rebuild

Originally Posted by s-spiff
I've seen them come up every once in awhile. Factoring the cost of a rebuilt drop-in along with labour and hassle factor, what's a price that makes it attractive to do?
I just replaced a 3.4 L engine in my 01 Carrera with 57,000 miles. The dealer price in Va Beach was $8,400 plus 5% tax including core exchange and the labor for engine replacement is about 13 hours in the book. My work was not done at the dealership. The warranty for the rebuild is two years unlimited miles. If the dealership does the work, then labor is also included in the two year period. My engine was in fact brand new in every way and of course the new engine has some upgrades which were not on my old car.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

With a blown engine, $ 50,000
With a good engine $100,000
BTW, I have a '99 C2 with a good engine I can part with at this price
Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 PM
viper501
Instructor

Originally Posted by pat056
With a blown engine, $ 50,000
With a good engine $100,000
BTW, I have a '99 C2 with a good engine I can part with at this price
ROFL

Quick Reply: What should I pay for a 99 C2 with a blown engine?