Sponsored by:

Today's Outrageously overpriced 996 part

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I noticed today that one of the "Position" Lights on my 996 headlight array was burned out.

The Position Light is also referred to as a "City" light and is in the headlight housing.

The bulb is called a H6W and is a 12v 6w lamp that looks like a flashlight bulb, with a miniature bayonet base.

So, silly me, I thought that I could just pop in my local Pep Boys and get a replacement....

Wrong.

This is an european speciality bulb, and locally is only available from, you know who..., My local Porsche dealer parts counter at, get this $14 a bulb!

Talk about having you by the nuts! What's next, $600 footwell lighting?
I paid $8 at my local stealer a few months back...thought I got off cheap.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

So an update:

I decided that since I was gonna be on the hook for $14/bulb no matter what, (damm the weak dollar) I should get as much value as I can out of this. I found an Online vendor in the UK that sells the Philips Blue Vision brand of this type of bulb, at the same price as the dealer with free shipping. They also throw in a set of Osram W5W side marker lamps for free.

I have used european Phillips bulbs in my Audis with great success. They never seem to burn out. The bulbs shipped yesterday, and I will have them next week. Since it is raining this week and next, the car will wait for its lamps.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried the BlueVision H6W on my E55.. it's much better than the yellow/amber standard H6W. You'll love it. Although I bought mine from Pep Boys.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dealt with this a few months ago and ended up going the Led route. Got them for 14 bucks shipped to my door. They look amazing and will hopefully outlast the halogen bulbs they replaced. Pictures and more details are here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=h6w.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Yeah, Sylvania or Phillips SilverVision.
As I mentioned the in my post, the Sylvania and the Phillips are not the same. (sylvania is blue). I would like to know where to get the Phillips.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

I hate to sound ignorant, but when does the position light come on? When you switch to high beams?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
As I mentioned the in my post, the Sylvania and the Phillips are not the same. (sylvania is blue). I would like to know where to get the Phillips.
I agree, Sylvania and Philips are not the same... I'm not sure who claimed that thay are?

www.powerbulbs.com - UK site that sells OSRAM and Philips stuff.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
I dealt with this a few months ago and ended up going the Led route. Got them for 14 bucks shipped to my door. They look amazing and will hopefully outlast the halogen bulbs they replaced. Pictures and more details are here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=h6w.
Unless they're a remarkably low quality LED, I'd expect them to outlast the rest of the car, much less a regular halogen bulb.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman
I hate to sound ignorant, but when does the position light come on? When you switch to high beams?
Whenever the parking light or headlights are on, the Position lights are on as well.

Last edited by Orient Express; 01-09-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by ArneeA
I agree, Sylvania and Philips are not the same... I'm not sure who claimed that thay are?

www.powerbulbs.com - UK site that sells OSRAM and Philips stuff.
You rock! Thanks for the lead they have the bulbs I'm looking for. Phillips Silver Vision PY21W.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
You rock! Thanks for the lead they have the bulbs I'm looking for. Phillips Silver Vision PY21W.

Thanks
np! I'm going to order two sets for me too... for my front and rear turn signals!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
demosan
Advanced

OE,

I had the same experience in trying to get one of those "city" bulbs. After going to the dealer and getting the $14 quote, went to an indie a block away I had never evn used for any service with the bulb and showed it to one of the mechanics and they were going to give it to me and I gave them $5. Case closed............. although we can see why Porsche is the most profitable car manufacturer in the world!!

Demosan
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Unless they're a remarkably low quality LED, I'd expect them to outlast the rest of the car, much less a regular halogen bulb.
This is what I expect too. In previous threads discussing the topic however, some members expressed a belief that without adequate heatsinking, the Leds would generate too much heat and burn themselves out in short order. I can see that happening in a higher output bulb but I can't see a bulb this small generating that much heat.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

Something to add . . . .

A couple of days ago I noticed my passenger side "parking light" died on my '03 986 with Litronics. I pulled the bulb out to find that the filament was in tacked and the bulb was not dead. So I popped the passenger side bulb into the driver side socket and the bulb still did not work. At this point I did not have my multimeter to check continuity of the bulb and it was late at night. I then put back the driver side bulb, and sure enough that one now didn't work. I then checked all fuses and no signs of a any being blown. At this point I was frustrated, reinstalled the headlight housing and called it a day.

A little while ago I got off the phone with my mechanic and they said it could be a faulty dashboard light switch (they had seen two of these cases within a week not too long ago) or a computer glitch. They suggested to continue driving the car with the headlights on, day or night, for a couple of days and see if the lights come back on. A buddy mentioned disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. Has anyone had this problem and/or tried any of the suggested fixes or have advise?

Thanks for your input!

'03 Boxster S
'06 Mazda3
'70 Camaro Z28 / RS
Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 198 Posts

Dude, did you miss the big tube of astroglide by the parts counter...

Quick Reply: Today's Outrageously overpriced 996 part