996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty check

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Bruh... anybody who tosses and turns over an $800 RMS replacement hasn't done their homework about what routine maintenance and consumables are going to cost on this whip. I can see sleeping better because you're worried about an engine failure, but if $800 one time scares you, wait until you confront the reality of rear tire life...

Never saw you as the nervous type.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Notwithstanding the argument for or against getting one, the price you are quoting is not a good one.

I had 10k miles on my 2003 911 C2, 3 months out of original warranty, when I got a 5 year, 50k mile exclusion extended warranty for $3880, in California, where the only option is to buy the warranty from the dealer. If you decide you want one, keep looking or negotiate harder.

On the pro/con, I bought the warranty to offset the potential catastrophic engine failure, which I am not prepared to cover with the interest on my $3880 certificate of deposit.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:58 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

"I have so much money I don't care if I have to pay myself."
Originally Posted by BruceP
Well, actually, I do buy cars like that. Within reason, anyway.
Then you shouldn't admonish or discourage those that say "I have so much money I want to buy an aftermarket warranty."

Besides, the odds that a 6+ yr old used car will have problems by the time it reaches 10 is almost a given. If the price of the warranty is commensurate with the estimated repairs for a given car, then there is no issue. IMO, and in my experience, a $2500 4/48,000 is a deal on a 6 year old Porsche. And that's with a $50 dedcutible.

For example, 3 main considerations I had were: starter ($600), alternator ($1400), oil pump ($600). With labor, that is way over $2500. These things are all covered, amid the myriac of other items [including all A/C components, fuel delivery, virtually every electric motor in the (windows, locks, seats, spoiler, etc), all steering, non-consumable brake items, ignition, etc. etc.]

It's a nice feeling to have anything and everything replaced/repaired right when it breaks. No DIY on my part, no "I'll buy the part myself", no shopping around to get the best price on the fix, etc. Just drop the car off at the dealer, and pick it up when it's fixed.

Perhaps I did buy on emotion. But I've already recouped my entry fee, and I haven't even had to replace any major items or encountered the dreaded RMS (knock on wood). IMO, that was $2500 well spent.

-td
Old 01-09-2008, 03:09 AM
duke4739
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up peace of mind

If the price is right,it's worth the peace of mind.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by td873
Then you shouldn't admonish or discourage those that say "I have so much money I want to buy an aftermarket warranty."

Besides, the odds that a 6+ yr old used car will have problems by the time it reaches 10 is almost a given. If the price of the warranty is commensurate with the estimated repairs for a given car, then there is no issue. IMO, and in my experience, a $2500 4/48,000 is a deal on a 6 year old Porsche. And that's with a $50 dedcutible.

For example, 3 main considerations I had were: starter ($600), alternator ($1400), oil pump ($600). With labor, that is way over $2500. These things are all covered, amid the myriac of other items [including all A/C components, fuel delivery, virtually every electric motor in the (windows, locks, seats, spoiler, etc), all steering, non-consumable brake items, ignition, etc. etc.]

It's a nice feeling to have anything and everything replaced/repaired right when it breaks. No DIY on my part, no "I'll buy the part myself", no shopping around to get the best price on the fix, etc. Just drop the car off at the dealer, and pick it up when it's fixed.

Perhaps I did buy on emotion. But I've already recouped my entry fee, and I haven't even had to replace any major items or encountered the dreaded RMS (knock on wood). IMO, that was $2500 well spent.

-td
Not everybody who goes to Vegas comes home empty handed, either.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by duke4739
If the price is right,it's worth the peace of mind.
Absolutely true statement, given that the "right" price is totally subjective, and everybody's threshold for "peace of mind" is unique.

The only thing I just can't agree with is that this is rationally good value. It's just not. Warranty companies make money precisely because it's not.

Insurance makes sense when the consequences of something going wrong are more frightening than the odds against it are reassuring. As I've said, I can see that with personal liability insurance, I can see it with house insurance, I can see it with life insurance for a person with a family. I just wouldn't let a car put me in that position.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruh... anybody who tosses and turns over an $800 RMS replacement hasn't done their homework about what routine maintenance and consumables are going to cost on this whip. I can see sleeping better because you're worried about an engine failure, but if $800 one time scares you, wait until you confront the reality of rear tire life...

Never saw you as the nervous type.
Playa, it's not tossing and turning, it's just the sanctity of the 911 driving experience that's at stake here. Sure you throw $800 + your time into scheduling it with dealer, being without your car, picking it back up, etc... and knowing that who the hell knows if it's going to happen again since it's a bit of a toss up whether your $800 finally solved the problem. This is just one issue... there are other "failures" that may occur where you just may need a replacement engine. Again, $3500 is worth the peace of mind.

And believe me, rolling 315/25/19 PS2s is my reality so check yourself before you wreck yourself with your budget tires, pimpin'.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Absolutely true statement, given that the "right" price is totally subjective, and everybody's threshold for "peace of mind" is unique.

The only thing I just can't agree with is that this is rationally good value. It's just not. Warranty companies make money precisely because it's not.

Insurance makes sense when the consequences of something going wrong are more frightening than the odds against it are reassuring. As I've said, I can see that with personal liability insurance, I can see it with house insurance, I can see it with life insurance for a person with a family. I just wouldn't let a car put me in that position.

Rationally, the 911 is NOT a good value (I would argue).
Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Rationally, the 911 is NOT a good value (I would argue).
True. In fact, it can get silly talking about 'rationality' in any context at all, when the topic is Porsches.

Yeah, maybe my tires are too skinny...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

but your brain is PHAT LOL - respect for you bruce batman p
Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 PM
BruceP
Drifting

werd.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Huskerbill
Track Day

For me the warranty made sense. I went through a company that the dealership has been going through for 10+ years. Cost $2000 for 5 years/150,000 miles!! The piece of mind alone on a car that I will be driving EVERY day to work is worth it.

Even if I never collect one penny on the thing, I will be ahead. Peace of mind when driving the car how I want to drive it is worth something to me. Certainly the $40 or so per month the thing will cost.

Coming off of 4 years of Ferrari ownership, I am looking forward to not worrying every time I give it a little extra...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Jeff000
Advanced

Originally Posted by td873
The economic justification is similar to purchasing full coverage car insurance when the law only requires minimal coverage. It's the just in case factor.

Also, contrary to the counterexamples, I have used my extended warranty for a number of little things, and the total has added up to more than the purchase price. Keep in mind, that fixing anything on a P-car is automatically more expensive. For example, just replacing my seat motor was around $1500. When I bought the warranty, I contepmlated the things that might need to be replaced (e.g., alternator, starter, sunroof motor, window motor, etc) and the dreaded RMS. I've already recouped the cost of my warranty - and I haven't had to replace any of the parts I thought would go out. (knock on wood). The reason for this is that my warranty covers LOTS of things. Not just plenums and pinion seals.

-td
People put Full coverage on their 70,000 dollar cars so if they crash they get a check for 70,000 instead of sucking on the end of a shotgun.
Not to mention if you have a lein on the car its required by the loan contract to have full coverage.

1500 for a 100 dollar motor is not what owning a P car is about.
100 bucks and a couple hours and its done.

Not to mentions warranties are a bit of a gamble on if they will actually cover stuff or if they will consider it a wear item or damage from abuse.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Huskerbill
Cost $2000 for 5 years/150,000 miles!!
At that price, even I'd do it.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty check