Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Found a pretty nice looking speaker box on ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 AM
acneil
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh!

Well I guess its Ok that "Pimp My Ride" has one viewer. LOL
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't think it looks that bad Tim, it is a little over the top for a sportscar..I like to hear my engine....but the way they build them behind the rearseats is actually a pretty nice fit.

But then again Tim has a blue car with a grey interior..so what does he know about style??
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know when you read this Tim you are going to be pissed......HAPPY NEW YEAR! I was just kidding!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by td873
That response isn't Tim being rude. Actually, that response is more like his natural disposition. You should get a taste of his REAL rude!

See, Tim, I'm sticking up for you!

-td
TD, thanks..... I think!

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
don't think it looks that bad Tim, it is a little over the top for a sportscar..I like to hear my engine....but the way they build them behind the rearseats is actually a pretty nice fit.

But then again Tim has a blue car with a grey interior..so what does he know about style??
Good one Nicolaas!

Originally Posted by cneil
I guess it didnt take long to get a somewhat rude response...
My comment wasn't rude, it was just very blunt. I guess I could have said it a little different way. It was late and when I first saw the pic through the rear window of them installed in a P-car, I thought it was not aesthetically pleasing. The speakers are just too much "in your face" for my taste.

If you like it, go for it! Afterall, it is your car.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acneil
I heard www.caraudioinnovations.com JL 6's in someone else's car, sounded more like mid bass.
I guess you must be looking for the "booming bass" sound because I have two JL Audio 6" subs in my car and the last thing it sounds like is mid-bass.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasC4S
Check this out as well.
http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm[/URL]

Smaller woofers usually provide tighter bass & are more "musical". The 10" will be a little more "boomy", so it just depends on the sound you are looking for. Keep us posed. I'm interested in hearing what you end up with. I had a whole system spec'd out for my car about 6 months ago and then changed my mind and put the money into a set of PSS9 coilovers instead.
While you're somewhat correct on the "musical" and "boomy" parts, it's at LEAST as important to find out if the MB Quart subs mounted in the enclosure are the right ones for the job. If the enclosure is the wrong size or type, it could easily sound like complete crap, regardless of the brand of sub.

Also, I hope nobody is thinking of paying the $1500 Buy-It-Now price; you might be amazed at what you could get for the same price from a reputable car audio store.

I'd definitely be interested to hear how they sound before I'd make a judgment; there's a lot more to it than just strapping the box to the back of the car.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

One caveat from an experienced (home) audiophile - those drivers facing up into the sun through the rear window would dry out & crack in no time. I'd throw a towel or something over 'em when I was parked outside...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would (and did) put the money on the exhaust note. Music to my ears.

To each their own...I went down the entire amp/woofer/expensive head unit years ago. My 13 year old daughter would think it was cool...unless I did it, then she would think it is stupid. She's at that age.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats way way over priced, just because its cheaper then the Audio innovation doesn't mean anything. I think the enclosure looks OK, I think its the subs throwing it off for Tims taste, and well mine too.I too would be interested in something like it it, maybe if the subs were hidden under grill cloth or something.Just because its made for a Porsche doesn't mean it should be overpriced...if it were made in Carbon then thats a different story.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
acneil
Track Day

The cost may seem high because of all the detail, but I'll let you guys know. I am going to drive over to his shop today and look at it. Its about an hour away fom me.

Oh no another hour in my car!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
One caveat from an experienced (home) audiophile - those drivers facing up into the sun through the rear window would dry out & crack in no time. I'd throw a towel or something over 'em when I was parked outside...
Another caveat from an experienced (car) audiophile: those drivers facing up through the rear window would be stolen in no time. Put TWO towels over them.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Another caveat from an experienced (car) audiophile: those drivers facing up through the rear window would be stolen in no time. Put TWO towels over them.
It's easier to just put the woofers on the outside of the car. At least you'll keep your windows intact.

-td
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 AM
DallasC4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by triode
Originally Posted by tooloud10
One additional caveat from an experienced (boat) audiophile: those drivers facing up through the rear window will collect water if the sunroof is left open. Put a FEW towels over them.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 AM
acneil
Track Day

Heres the news!

I went and checked out the box and his shop. Uh SOLD SOLD AND SOLD. I bought one!

Nice shop and the owner does sweeet work.

The box just doesnt go in the back of the car. It slides in matching perfecly to every curve. It even matches the radius of the rear of the car and the back window!

I was concerned that there wasnt enough air space for the twin 10's but he had spec sheets and showed me that the box falls in at .8 per sub and the optimum is between .5 and .1. The box is sealed and sounds very very tight.

Plus you cannot go wrong with MB Quart, all german!

So anyway, I had him slide it in, the seat handles on the back of the seats have to come off on this model. He says he has two of them like this and the rest he produces you can keep your handles on. I dont care cause the handles do less then nothing. And I saved money by getting this model. He also said he is going to produce a triple Focal 8' box thats sits a little lower. As it is now in my rear view, it goes just barely over the top of the back seats. Just right!

He knew every spec and every degree by heart. He had two 996's. One was his and another a customer. I told him he should get on this forum and talk to you guys. He really cares about the perfect fit and finish. And the sound, ahh the sooooounnnnndddddd. Very tight and hard hitting. I already had an amp so it was plug and play. Perfect for my little car and I didnt have some punk curing fiberglass in or near my car, not to mention getting their gruby little hands all over my little girl! No fabbing aloud!

Some of you mentioned sun damage? I live near Seattle. We dont get sun. And if we did I would just tint my windows like a lot of people do in sunny climates. I also heard somewhere that car audio speakers are espeically made to be tougher that paper Home Audio, they are treated to be used in UV. Ive seen some car audio shows where they thunder all day in the sun, they dont seem concerned??

Anyway, I paid less than the 1500. But I also had to pay tax. But I had no shipping. Totally sweet box.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by acneil
Heres the news!

I went and checked out the box and his shop. Uh SOLD SOLD AND SOLD. I bought one!

Nice shop and the owner does sweeet work.

The box just doesnt go in the back of the car. It slides in matching perfecly to every curve. It even matches the radius of the rear of the car and the back window!

I was concerned that there wasnt enough air space for the twin 10's but he had spec sheets and showed me that the box falls in at .8 per sub and the optimum is between .5 and .1. The box is sealed and sounds very very tight.

Plus you cannot go wrong with MB Quart, all german!

So anyway, I had him slide it in, the seat handles on the back of the seats have to come off on this model. He says he has two of them like this and the rest he produces you can keep your handles on. I dont care cause the handles do less then nothing. And I saved money by getting this model. He also said he is going to produce a triple Focal 8' box thats sits a little lower. As it is now in my rear view, it goes just barely over the top of the back seats. Just right!

He knew every spec and every degree by heart. He had two 996's. One was his and another a customer. I told him he should get on this forum and talk to you guys. He really cares about the perfect fit and finish. And the sound, ahh the sooooounnnnndddddd. Very tight and hard hitting. I already had an amp so it was plug and play. Perfect for my little car and I didnt have some punk curing fiberglass in or near my car, not to mention getting their gruby little hands all over my little girl! No fabbing aloud!

Some of you mentioned sun damage? I live near Seattle. We dont get sun. And if we did I would just tint my windows like a lot of people do in sunny climates. I also heard somewhere that car audio speakers are espeically made to be tougher that paper Home Audio, they are treated to be used in UV. Ive seen some car audio shows where they thunder all day in the sun, they dont seem concerned??

Anyway, I paid less than the 1500. But I also had to pay tax. But I had no shipping. Totally sweet box.

Great thanks for the details.. Please post a set of pictures of it installed in your car.

Quick Reply: Found a pretty nice looking speaker box on ebay...