Sponsored by:

PPI was a good suggestion, thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI was a good suggestion, thanks

Thanks for the advice on getting a PPI done and getting it done at Ruf. The 2003 Cab had been wrecked and had a replacement hood. This is why it had no option sticker on the inside, the headlight wasn’t aligned and the left horn not working. I’m none to happy with Park Place Mid-Cities dealer in Bedford not just for attempting to sell me a previously wrecked car, but mainly for the little things that were wrong on it such as all fluid levels were low and a reverse light out. That is really crappy. Oh well it is what it is. Well worth the $230 I paid to Ruf. BTW the Ruf shop is quite nice. Hopefully I’ll be able to do business there in the future.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01-04-2008, 11:05 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I went by Ruf for a visit and I was also impressed! Looks like they run a nice little operation!!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by danit
Thanks for the advice on getting a PPI done and getting it done at Ruf. The 2003 Cab had been wrecked and had a replacement hood. This is why it had no option sticker on the inside, the headlight wasn’t aligned and the left horn not working. I’m none to happy with Park Place Mid-Cities dealer in Bedford not just for attempting to sell me a previously wrecked car, but mainly for the little things that were wrong on it such as all fluid levels were low and a reverse light out. That is really crappy. Oh well it is what it is. Well worth the $230 I paid to Ruf. BTW the Ruf shop is quite nice. Hopefully I’ll be able to do business there in the future.

Thanks,

Dan
If I remember correctly bad things have been said about park Place in the past, so I'm not too surprised that they tried to sell you a bad car.

I'm glad that the PPI prevented you form buying a bad car.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious, did you use Carfax?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the carfax done which is useful for telling you who owned it/registered it and then also the ppi with full compression/leakdown test.

you really need that paperwork as well as an assessment of the current owner and your own visualize inspection of the car to get the best you can story of the car.

call it a holistic approach to used car buying
Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to see if the Carfax report picks up the wreck! I usually first check Carfax, then get an inspection. Expensive wrecks are usually picked up on Carfax.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I'd like to see if the Carfax report picks up the wreck! I usually first check Carfax, then get an inspection. Expensive wrecks are usually picked up on Carfax.

Happy New Year everyone!

it's not always covered so that gap/risk itself makes me not rely on it at all so again need to couple it up with visual, ppi, previous owner chat (wherever possible).
Old 01-04-2008, 02:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK

Happy New Year everyone!
Does anyone have a Carfax account so we could check to see if the wreck is listed on it?

Just kidding! I'm just making fun of the "Can someone run a Carfax for me?" threads!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
Does anyone have a Carfax account so we could check to see if the wreck is listed on it?

Just kidding! I'm just making fun of the "Can someone run a Carfax for me?" threads!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
I almost had to get my Carfax beating stick out.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
danit
Advanced

Carfax showed nothing unusual. My guess is the previous owner fixed it without insurance??? Though I really don't know what triggers an entry into Carfax. Here is the link:

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...CA29913S651878

I would attach the pdf but I can't figure out how to get a file in here that is bigger than 149K.

Dan
Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 PM
danit
Advanced

Here we go if the link didn't work

WP0CA29913S651878-1.pdf

WP0CA29913S651878-2.pdf

WP0CA29913S651878-3.pdf

Dan
Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Sorry to see that... further validates the uselessness of Carfax. Sad to see a good tool prove to be useless.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks,

Dan
+1 on RUF Auto Center excellent work and pricing. I did a full 4-wheel alignment there for around $140 which I think was a great price. I was thinking of doing a full inspection "a-la" PPI before my extended warranty expired this coming July For $230, it is very reasonable, I thought it was more, thanks for sharing your experiences there.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Carfax is worth doing to get some history, but as others have said, it does not always show everything. You need to rely on multiple things to ensure you are getting a good car. Even a PPI is not foolproof depending on who is doing it.

The most important thing in buying any car is to get unemotional about it and slow down. There is a reason that dealers try to pressure you to buy on the spot. They do not want you to leave and have time to think it over rationally.

Quick Reply: PPI was a good suggestion, thanks