Sponsored by:

Need Some Advice on BAD AUDI Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
That is good advice Tim gives. Shorten it, specify EXACTLY what you want. And then............kick their *** on the web!
Shorten, then get on with your life...
Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like he bought the car.

I agree that it's a pretty crappy dealer experience and they were jerks, but in reality I doubt that Audi will do much (doesn't mean that it's not worth trying) - the experience doesn't damage their name, just the one of the specific dealer. The lesson here is to get verification of all of the particulars before going to see a car and when there examine the car in advance of signing anything.

I feel bad for you Scot, but this does nothing to change my opinion of car dealers at all - they will screw you into the ground whenever they can and leave you high and dry when it suits them.

The experience that Phil had recently in buying his S4 was unusual, most of the time they know that they'll sell their car one way or another, so don't care if it's to you or the next poor soul that walks though the door.

I'm guessing you have the car now. I'm not sure that $425 would be a deal breaker for most people on a car like this. Hopefully the car is everything that you wanted and you can get the heaters installed aftermarket.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've owned 3 Audis (still have my '00 A6) and loved them all but found service often lacking and Audi of America totally unresponsive. So, don't be surprised if you get no satisfaction from AoA. Best of luck anyway.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you purchased the car, I am having a hard time with the logic.

The manager made you so mad that you wanted to punch him, yet you gave them business???? What am I missing?

Make no mistake, I think he acted very poorly. However, in the end you rewarded his hard negotiation style with a sale.

It seems like you accepted their terms, but you still want them to pay(after the fact)?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone, I'm sorry to hear about your bad dealer experience, Zoo, but this is why that GM continues his poor behavior toward the customers -- he got the sale anyway. On principle alone, I would've rather paid more to fly home empty-handed than to put a single dime in his pocket. Then I'd plaster my comments all over the web, contact Audi NA and whatever media outlets that will listen, as well as the BBB. As outraged as you were, and had every right to be, it sounded like you took the car and accepted the salesman's restitution. In that case, from Audi NA's vantage point, the dealership had already "compensated" you somewhat for their error. The only thing left then would be the customer service aspect -- the unprofessionalism on the part of the GM. For that you might get an official apology and a hand-slap on the GM, or maybe even a token service voucher of some sort. Is that an acceptable outcome for you?

In the end, you were "forced" into a sale despite your indignations, and that would **** me off more than anything. Good luck with your effort, and I hope Audi NA steps-up above and beyond.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I will not buy an Audi there if that helps.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

This is what can happen when you buy a car long distance (and they know that). NEXT time (and for all others) you MUST make the salesperson check EVERY non-standard (extra) option personally, then sign something saying every extra is there. I would ALSO recommend getting a PPI and have the PPI company check all extra options as well.

I made this mistake when I bought my C4S from Houston and then realized it didn't have Xenons when the ad said it did. I was completely SOL.

Bottom line now, you bought the car you drove it home, accept it, cause you ain't getting ****!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

What an as!... as others said... shorten the letter and be very specific in your ask. You may get something (probably not), but it will at least make you feel good. I wouldn't get a lawyer involved... couple of hundred $ in outflow and I don't think he will get you substantially more.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
On principle alone, I would've rather paid more to fly home empty-handed than to put a single dime in his pocket. Then I'd plaster my comments all over the web, contact Audi NA and whatever media outlets that will listen, as well as the BBB. As outraged as you were, and had every right to be, it sounded like you took the car and accepted the salesman's restitution.
+1
Old 01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

A lot of good opinions. I would shorten the letter removing the salesman's comments. I would say that you bought the car only because the price of the ticket home was at or more then the seat heaters value. I would use the term fraud or misrepresentation. Get a price quote on two seat heaters installed and ask for full compensation. If you know an attorney have them edit the letter and cc them at the bottom.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
A lot of good opinions. I would shorten the letter removing the salesman's comments. I would say that you bought the car only because the price of the ticket home was at or more then the seat heaters value. I would use the term fraud or misrepresentation. Get a price quote on two seat heaters installed and ask for full compensation. If you know an attorney have them edit the letter and cc them at the bottom.
+1.

You don't want to know what happens to long, heated narrative letters of complaint when they land in a corporate in-tray. Keep it short and focused, and ask for exactly what you want. Words like fraud and misrepresentation, used sparingly and clearly, are a good way to show you mean business. They then only have the options of saying yes, or escalating it by saying no. By all means use a lawyer to help you write the letter, but don't involve one to deal with the other side at the complaint stage. That will punt your letter straight to their corporate counsel and nobody will even try to solve the problem for you.

These things fail when people get distracted either by wanting someone to suffer or by fishing around to see what compensation will be offered rather than declaring a clear expectation, just as with any negotiation.

One final bit of advice: Check for spelling and grammar. I've seen more than one of these things badly written become laughingstocks inside companies that receive them, which only slows things down and predisposes people to push back for the sport of it. Your desired response is: "This guy isn't bluffing and he's not a loon. Let's just deal with it and make it go away."
Old 01-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Zoolander
Racer

Thanks guys for the great advice and giving me a piece of your time. Just like I expected from the Rennlist Forum

Yes, I did drive the car home. If it was totally up to me I would have walked into the GM's office, grabbed my folder, said a few choice words and flown home but watching my wife's face when I pulled into the driveway made it all worthwhile. She loves the car(except for the cold seats)

Thanks again.

Last edited by Zoolander; 01-04-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Zoolander
Racer

Maybe I will get an attorney to edit......

I had to yet to edit it myself so it is a little rough and lengthy. I will shorten it and clearly state my expectations.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoolander
Thanks guys for the great advice and giving me a piece of your time. Just like I expected from the Rennlist Forum

Yes, I did drive the car home. If it was totally up to me I would have walked into the GM's office, grabbed my folder, said a few choice words and flown home but watching my wife's face when I pulled into the driveway made it all worthwhile. She loves the car

Thanks again.

Sounds like it turned out afterall. I understand the need to write the letter, but suspect it's a fool's errand. Maybe AoA will send you a hat.

Stefan
Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoolander
Please feel free to give me your constructive thoughts and advice. Be kind as this is a rough draft with little editing.
Letter is way too long. Redact significantly If it was me, I might simply state car was advertised as X, represented on the phone as X, represented in person as X, sold to you as X, and received as Y. After discussing with the manager, you were basically told, "too bad." Based on your interaction, you feel you have no choice but to turn this matter over to the KY BBB and the State Attorney's General Office. However, in the interest of good will, you are willing to speak with a Audi North America representative to attempt an amicable resolution. Then end with something like, please contact you by January 9, 2008. Any communication after this date should be directed to your attorney.
Also, I found this re: KY laws: http://www.autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/KY_lemonlaw.html
"If you can prove very specific misrepresentations, you may have a claim for fraud or a private claim under KRS 367.220 for violation of the Consumer Protection Act. You might be able to revoke acceptance under the Uniform Commercial Code (KRS Chapter 355). "
You should look into this carefully, as the CPA may also require them to pay attorneys' fees. You might even be able to get your airplane fare back.

Lastly, as a reminded of common sense - keep EXCELLENT records/notes/etc.

**none of this is to be considered legal advice, and should be disregarded entirely**

**you should always have a qualified legal opinion - AKA hire an attorney**

-td

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice on BAD AUDI Dealer Experience