996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

[OT] Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The reman must have newer, more robust parts. The new ones probably still have the weak link in them.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 PM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

"What could be the advantage of a remanufactured tranny over a new one?"

I have a remanufactured transmission AND engine in my 996 C4S (originals failed, replaced under warranty). While I shared the same concern as you about "used" parts, the common feeling I've got from my local mechanics as well as the dealership's main tech is that the techs at the factory spend more time and effort on the remanufactured units than they do on the new ones, while using the same OEM quality parts and processes.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Many say that the RS4 is the ONLY real Audi! Why would a remanufactured transmission be superior to a new one? Intuitively, that just doesn't make sense. It's interesting you raise that point, because when AoA (Audi of America) offered to replace my transmission (should it come to that), they offered to replace mine with a remanufactured unit, not a new one. I told them I would only accept a new unit for a brand new car. What could be the advantage of a remanufactured tranny over a new one? It's why I never buy things like refurbished cell phones or computers.
This is just an overall dumb thing to say, but then it does come from a guy who is a psycho about actually driving his car.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Another thought I would have about remans. It is probably cheaper to take a gamble on fixing a few (that failed) than have a recall on all to replace a problematic piece inside the trans.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
This is just an overall dumb thing to say, but then it does come from a guy who is a psycho about actually driving his car.
Ben, l disagree. I don't think that is a "dumb thing to say."

Let's say you just purchased a new _________ (997, M3, M5, M6, R8, F599 or "other" - you fill in the blank), and the transmission needed to be replaced in under 1,000 miles. If you were given limited (or no) info why a remanufactured tranny would be better than a new one, would you want a new or remanufactured transmission?

If Audi tells Phil that the remanny tranny is going to be better, then obviously Audi knows about a problem with the tranny, but has failed to correct the problem on the assembly line. Maybe they have already corrected the problem on the assembly line but are aware that X number of cars have trannys that could be problematic. I would want an "official" full disclosure in writing from Audi explaining why a remanufactured tranny will be better than a new one.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by gota911
Ben, l disagree. I don't think that is a "dumb thing to say."

Let's say you just purchased a new _________ (997, M3, M5, M6, R8, F599 or "other" - you fill in the blank), and the transmission needed to be replaced in under 1,000 miles. If you were given limited (or no) info why a remanufactured tranny would be better than a new one, would you want a new or remanufactured transmission?

If Audi tells Phil that the remanny tranny is going to be better, then obviously Audi knows about a problem with the tranny, but has failed to correct the problem on the assembly line. Maybe they have already corrected the problem on the assembly line but are aware that X number of cars have trannys that could be problematic. I would want an "official" full disclosure in writing from Audi explaining why a remanufactured tranny will be better than a new one.
I'd ask Audi what a reman tranny is before lighting a fire and burning bridges with Audi by crying out I want a new one for my "new" car.

And then Phil brings about cell phones and and computers into the discussion? that's plain dumb.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Tippy
Race Car

that's plain dumb.
If you dont have anything nice to say....dont say anything at all.

Didnt ya momma teach ya that?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohan Nath

anyone have experience with the RS4 that can share their perspective? a good friend is leaving the country and has offered to sell me his black/black RS4. 1 year old with <5k miles.

much appreciate any input.
I wouldn't buy this car unless it was 20,000+ under retail. They are selling for 60-65 as demo's or slightly used. But wait another year and I predict this car will lose 1,000 per month, it is the Audi fall...so a GOOD deal to me would be 50 range depending on the options. If you absolutely have to have it, then you are going to be in the 60 grand range. Lots of other used cars at that price. It is a really nice car though. I would buy this over a BMW-M.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
DanDotDan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZ
You might be interested in viewing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE63nWdyjdo
This video on automobilemag.com is great too. Pure automotive ****.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
I wouldn't buy this car unless it was 20,000+ under retail. They are selling for 60-65 as demo's or slightly used. But wait another year and I predict this car will lose 1,000 per month, it is the Audi fall...so a GOOD deal to me would be 50 range depending on the options. If you absolutely have to have it, then you are going to be in the 60 grand range. Lots of other used cars at that price. It is a really nice car though. I would buy this over a BMW-M.
I will never buy a new Audi because of this. Even with the RS4 so beloved in the enthusiast community, it gets reemed in the market because others still do it better (Merc C63, BMW E92 M3).

And by the time this thing bakes, you're going to have the new A-class chassis coming out which makes this already boring looking car even more boring. so RS4s or nice audi cars always end up in the hands of audi/quattro is god freaks, and that's it.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd ask Audi what a reman tranny is before lighting a fire and burning bridges with Audi by crying out I want a new one for my "new" car.

And then Phil brings about cell phones and and computers into the discussion? that's plain dumb.
Ben, as much as I don't appreciate having my comment called dumb, you raise a good point about a remanufactured transmission. As I said, hopefully it won't come to needing a replacement, but if it does, I'll get the specifics from AoA and find out the advantages, if any, of a remanufactured unit. Another thing, stop criticizing me and my car . It may be "boring" to you, but not to me. We all make choices on our machines. I don't think anything of Mercedes, but I wouldn't knock you for buying one. My car happens to be a damn nice daily commuter.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing, stop criticizing me and my car . It may be "boring" to you, but not to me. We all make choices on our machines. I don't think anything of Mercedes, but I wouldn't knock you for buying one. My car happens to be a damn nice daily commuter.
Your car is bad-*** and you know it - so who cares what Joey Carrera's brother thinks.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Your car is bad-*** and you know it - so who cares what Joey Carrera's brother thinks.
Surely you mean Joey Carrera's lover?!?!

Phil's car is sex on 4 wheels - engineering excellence, class and style rolled into a single package.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Surely you mean Joey Carrera's lover?!?!

Phil's car is sex on 4 wheels - engineering excellence, class and style rolled into a single package.
Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, sex on wheels is having a case of ED.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, sex on wheels is having a case of ED.
Nothing that a quick handjob with a microfiber cloth couldn't cure... failing that, add some Techron to the tank and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: [OT] Audi RS4