Sponsored by:

997 speakers for 996???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Question 997 speakers for 996???

I did a quick search without results. Does anyone know if the 997 cab OEM Bose speakers fit a 2000 996 cab? If the hardware can be swapped, do I need to do any special modification or re-wiring? I am looking for a direct swap, but if it does not work, I will not try to take things apart and make them fit.
Thanks in advance...
Old 12-31-2007, 02:12 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Botsy, go with aftermarket speakers -- world of difference in quality. If you're concerned about the fit (for the dash speakers you would need to cut the existing speaker housing and use it with the new speakers) then contact Rod @ www.caraudioinnovations.com . He can do all the work for you and send you the speakers already in the housing so you just have to swap them out. He does this on a core-exchange basis -- you send him your old speakers and housings and he send you back the housing with the new spakers inside (depending on the color of your car's interior he might have the housing in-house already so he can send those out and you send your old ones back once you remove them to minimize downtime.)

Anyway, I have no affiliation with Rod but just like a lot of other Rennlisters I am a very satisfied customer. Give him a call and tell him what you're trying to do. I got Focal speakers for my dash and doors and a pair of his 8" subwoofers in a custom fiberglass enclosure. Great stuff and Rod is a great guy to deal with.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bao - do a search on Focals. I recall that a few guys swapped their speakers for Focals and they were "almost" a direct swap, with some very minor "adjusting" of the existing speaker housing needed.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Thanks Programmatore and Tim, greatly appreciate your inputs... The reason I asked for this is because I may get a full set of Bose speakers from an 05 997 C2S from my Bro-in-law who wants to upgrade his stereo system. Personally I do not really care about the music in this car since I only drive it on weekends and therefore don't spend much time in it. I prefer my TechArt exhaust sounds when enjoying the car But looks like maybe the dash speakers may throw a fit, but the ones in the doors, and rears may be OK? Thanks again guys...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 PM
carlo$
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say they will fit. all bose systems are usually electrically compatible. if they fit physically go for it.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't bother. Bose speakers are often odd impedances and your factory amp might not be able to power them.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
I wouldn't bother. Bose speakers are often odd impedances and your factory amp might not be able to power them.
Thanks for the warning, it would be indeed devastating to tear apart the door panels and dashboard to find out the Bose speakers don't even work, Oops That is why I asked here to see if anyone has done this, but obviously no-one bother to do this swap, just go with aftermarket speakers directly. I may follow that advice if one day I want better audio in this car.
Thanks,

Quick Reply: 997 speakers for 996???